z-link

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

z-link

Post by JoPo »

Hi...

At last ! I just get my xite !!!

BUT ! Impossible to light on my both luna 2496 in/out ! It doesn't want to switch on ! I don't understand...

Any idea ? Of course, the cable is plugged ..!
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
JoPo

Re: z-link

Post by JoPo »

I'm starting to think that the luna in/out is not compatible with the xite ...

But both are 'Z-link' it is written on them.

Help ! I need confirmation !
Last edited by JoPo on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Greg aka. Siriusbliss knows the most about this.
I had too many conflicts and have little pateince wasting time with something that isn't stable enough to use live.
Congrats on the XITE-1 though.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

What kind of conflict ?? An old creamware hardware on the same PC ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

My conflicts consisted of certain drivers not working and having freezes.
Loading Z-Link Source Module caused that when I tried.
I know there's a certain way and Greg knows best because he busted SC's balls about this.
Keep the thread alive and he'll chime in " soon ", but not a Soniccore soon.......a JAV " soon ".... :D
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

OK Here I am :D

PCI Scope and Xite Scope will not plug into each other directly via ADAT, SPDIF, etc.

I've tried workarounds, but S/C tells me they are concerned about cable lengths between the hardware for STDM configurations, and I no longer have my old PowerSampler/Luna with Z-link, so I can't check that. I haven't checked with S/C lately as to what their status is with this.

Nevertheless, you CAN run Scope PCI and Scope Xite at the same time/concurrently (both open), but I've only had success running analog audio between the two via an external mixer.

I have NOT yet had success even running ADAT or SPDIF between the two without either system locking up. Also no success tricking ADAT clock link to PCI, and BNC link to Xite via my mixer.

I've been too busy lately to do anymore tests, so...

In the meantime I've been recording MIDI/audio in Xite environment into Samplitude, and then mixing in Scope PCI environment with the playback coming from Xite running in the background.
In this way Samplitude sees both environments, but I've only had success capturing from one or the other environment at one time.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Ok... Merci...

I made a mail for the sonic core support about xite z-link.

To siriusbliss : The thing wich doesn't want to work is simply plug my both luna in/out in the xite. The lunas don't want to even light on.

BUT ! I tried this : the lunas in the old pci boards and link them to ADAT output, plug ADAT out pci to ADAT in xite and it seems to work. So for me, PCI Scope and Xite Scope will plug into each other directly via ADAT ! (for the moment, it's ok).
I'm going to work like this untill the support answer but i'm affraid that for now, the xite z-link are not ready... I shall inform you...
Janni

Post by Janni »

Sorry if I got anything wrong, but Z-Link connections are ONLY between Xite (or Luna) And A16 and NOT between Luna And Xite...
YOU MIGHT DAMAGE YOUR HARDWARE!
-/-
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes ! That's it ! I just want to connect normaly the both lunas to xite.

And it looks like there is a power supply problem indeed. But if it is exact, I don't understand why there is some z-link wich have a power supply ok and some without a power supply...

I have not any answer yet from the support, I'm wondering if they are working on saturday, I don't think so...

I must say that the scope 5 xite system is much less stable !! I had to reboot 3 times this morning ! I hope SC is going so fix the bugs quickly !
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

And did you create the rigth zlink connection in the routing window??
My luna box doesnt power up until i have created the rigth zlink connection in the sfp window.
Janni

Post by Janni »

JoPo wrote:Yes ! That's it ! I just want to connect normaly the both lunas to xite.
Ahh, I see! That's where the confusion of mine came from.... You want to connect luna BOXES not lunas... SORRY!!! :D
-/-
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes, here too, the luna box light on when I drag & drop the z-link module into the project window. But not with the xite !! :(
garyb

Post by garyb »

XITE probably doesn't have power for z-link like the pci cards do. z-link works, but only with the A-16 is my guess...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I thought that Z-link was a normalized standard, so all the z-link were the same. I'll NEVER buy an a16 just because of that... That smells the commercial guile...
I hope that they are going to sale at least a kind of power supply on the firewire to be able to use lunas boxes. We can dream anyway...
garyb

Post by garyb »

guile? what are you talking about?

the pci cards have a molex power connector to power the Luna boxes which were always meant to work with the Luna card. XITES weren't even imagined back then. Luna boxes aren't made currently. it's possible that i'm wrong about the lack of power for the Luna boxes on the XITE, but since the A16(the only Z-Link product they make right now afaik) doesn't require power from the Z-Link connector, i'd guess there's none there. actually, not having power in the Z-Link cable is probably a good thing....

it's not that i'm unsympathetic with your plight, it's just that there's no dark evil in the situation. i'd think a better converter wouldn't be all bad at this point anyway.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

They should think about this problem while building xite.
Maybe puting a switch or what ever. Lunas boxes are quite good for my way to work and when I saw that xite had 2 z-link, I was sure that it was going to work, I did not have even any doubt. They should not call it z-link : the same as with old hardware if there is not the same thing going thru that cable. For me there is something wich is not very fair, honest. But it is as usual in computers buzyness...

And there is really not much information about all those details nowhere.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

JoPo wrote:And there is really not much information about all those details nowhere.
...and what was S/C's response when you emailed them about Z-link?

Greg
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

No answer yet... But I mail it to bugs@soniccore.de and maybe, it was not such a good idea, so I mail sonic core support some minutes ago...
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

garyb wrote:the pci cards have a molex power connector to power the Luna boxes which were always meant to work with the Luna card. XITES weren't even imagined back then. Luna boxes aren't made currently. it's possible that i'm wrong about the lack of power for the Luna boxes on the XITE, but since the A16(the only Z-Link product they make right now afaik) doesn't require power from the Z-Link connector, i'd guess there's none there. actually, not having power in the Z-Link cable is probably a good thing....
the molex power connector is available on the (additional) adat expansion board for the luna class cards only. a luna/ps/scope home is able to power a single luna box from the pci bus.
you only need the additional power if connecting a second luna box. but maybe they hadn't the (discontinued) luna boxes in mind when designing the zlink infrastucture for xite, so there is a certain possibility that the zlink connector for xite doesn't carry enough power for a luna box to light on (or no powerr at all), since bus power is not necessary for an a16u/xlr, as mentioned.
still the z-link software module could be faulty, so asking S|C is definitely a good idea.
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Did Sonic Core ever sell those Luna 2496 boxes?
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.