Scope and Flexor in SL

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

alfonso

Scope and Flexor in SL

Post by alfonso »

I've been convinced by a friend to have a Second Life....she's having a sort of party there and asked me to stream some music there...I'm practically a newbie there but had just the time to decide to bring a Scope+Flexor rig and to learn how to set it up....that's SL, some technological mysteries are allowed....
I didn't have time to learn which scoper is in SL and send invitations...here is me at the ...."sound check"... :lol:
Attachments
SL_Gig_002.JPG
SL_Gig_002.JPG (109.52 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Neutron

Re: Scope and Flexor in SL

Post by Neutron »

Lol thats a pretty low res world!

but it needs more giant speakers!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice BellBottoms,
Cool pic for Flexor/Modular advertisement... :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

and so it begins..... :lol:
braincell

Post by braincell »

I was actually building Scope modules in 3D for SL but I never followed through on that project.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I was shopping in SL to get the keyboard with animations and I found a shop who has a "no name" 3d model, a bit hidden in the shop which is a Creamware Prodyssey ASB, accurate and with the corresponding Logos...probably since the Creaware brand no longer exists...I wanted to buy it but it has some really sucking avatar animations and didn't have much info...

I think the tough part is scripting decent animations, more than the 3d models themselves.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Do you mean animations of the Avatar turning the knobs with samples?
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Yes...all those instruments carry also a set of animations the make your avatar play them. In this case the avatar just moved the hands fast and in an idiotic way, without even touching anything. I'm thinking to cooperate with a good scripter because i think there is a lack of real musicians in most of those 3d works.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yeah Good Idea,
Have a guy slamming on his Mod Wheel or doing PBends....
Anything other than what someone who doesn't play synths thinks is cool.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Second Life is just a taste of what virtual reality will be one day. The internet is too slow, software primitive and computers still not fast enough.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

A friend of mine covers all the everyday bills (power, phone, gaz, food etc.) with the business done there...it might be still not perfect but a lot of people with some creative qualities have some opportunities there...for example during this "gig" someone who appreciated the music donated me some local currency, that you can use to buy stuff there, but also convert it back to RL money. It was not a grat amount in real money, but I didn't even ask for it...
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

here it is :)
Attachments
SLProdysseyAvatar_001.png
SLProdysseyAvatar_001.png (764.67 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

Synth looks great.
The Crest XRM looks pretty cool too.
That's the best little rack mounted IEM board money can buy.
I really like the graphics quality too.
Where's MoJo............?
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

My thoughts were...a keyboard controller that works!..I know...wishful thinking in a VR game...still cool as hell in my book. btw...love the pony tail! :wink:
Joel
braincell

Post by braincell »

Looks great. All animations in SL look stupid to me by the way. I bet the surface of the board isn't 3D but a texture map which is cheating! I was making one with 3D knobs and sliders. Does it light up I wonder? You could easily make the lights flicker with an animated GIF or an AVI but probably they don't allow that. SL is so primitive.
valis

Post by valis »

If they don't allow some animated image format (a proprietary one or movie file would perhaps make more sense in a 3d pipeline than an animated GIF which varies a LOT over the years & applications that make them) then you could probably animate textures using scripting.

It's been a long time since I have tried Second Life but I recall it was VERY primitive for 3d work at the time (compared to other existing 3d products intended for realtime work.) I would assume it's scaled up at least keeping pace with the hardware it runs on but I would probably prioritize the controls the character is intended to interact with over other modelled in detail.

Basically it's nice to model in all of that detail when you're close up, but when you do 3d works you learn about something called 'spatial aliasing' which means how far back you can be before all that added modelling is wasted (turns into a pixelly mess or just disappears) and can also potentially slow down the render pipeline for no added benefit. Which isn't a knock against your attempts, just that you have to carefully balance in the need for added details with judicious use of textures.
braincell

Post by braincell »

It looks better if your computer can handle it but the modeling tools are not any better. It renders faster with the emerald viewer and better on slow computers with snow globe.