License transfer to XITE? Crossgrade?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

maky325

License transfer to XITE? Crossgrade?

Post by maky325 »

Any detailed info on this? Jimmy? Gary?

What if i have scope pro and Scope 5.0 with every possible license from SC (including SPL) plus some of 3rd party (flexor, zargmusic).

Am i able to transfer these to XITE? Jimmy you maybe know word or two about this since you have your xite already. Is some kind of crossgrade action planned in future where you have option to buy "empty" xite for something cheaper then curent price?

If so what is happening with old cards? I can probably sell them with keys but no real license transfer or what?
firubbi

Re: License transfer to XITE? Crossgrade?

Post by firubbi »

how you will transfer scope 5.0 to xite? xite already has 5.0 +synth and mix master pack. my guess is you may keep your synth and mix pack to pro and transfer rest of plugs.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

firubbi wrote:how you will transfer scope 5.0 to xite? xite already has 5.0 +synth and mix master pack. my guess is you may keep your synth and mix pack to pro and transfer rest of plugs.
Uhm...i am aware that xite is with scope 5.0 already. I am saying this to clear and point to situation that: i for example already have Scope 5.0 on old board with S&S and M&M and every additional SC plugin out there(sixstring for example, prodyssey etc.) so i don't need to re-purchase this bundle again :-? IMO this is not same situation compared to user with scope 4.0 or 3.1 for example...

Well i guess we will have to wait few days more to see this...
Last edited by maky325 on Mon May 11, 2009 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
katano

Post by katano »

yep, i'd like to have some more informations about this license transfer thingie, too.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Any devices with keys need new rgy. files.
All older plugs that have no keys, and SDK devices work right now.
I am making a list of Hummel synths because I actually had some of those which didn't work in 4.5, that seem to work in 5.0 ??
It's a crapshhot with those, but I have the really DSP hungry ones working well, and will provide a list of ones that work in V 5.0. The DAS stuff came with keys already which I really appreciate. I use their EQ's, Gates and Compressors and was happy I didn't have to use the OEM versions, .... :lol: ( netguyjoel's jargon ). I have become dependant on them.

MCCY, Shroomz, Sharc, Celmo, Wolf, SpaceF BBII and freebies, and all SDK stuff seems to work fine, there are a couple of exceptions, but all in all these guys have provided us with a smooth upgrade that should make the cards the best investment in soundcard history.

This forum is going to be chock full of happy campers really soon.
Yes there will be some 64bit quackers, I was actually one myself, but after what I have ssen w/ the XITE-1 and it's zero hassle install and operation, whenever they're ready I will be happy. I look forward to seeing all of my patient brotha's faces hurting from excessive smiling.
I actually think I need therapy as I am walking around talkin to myself.......
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

I guess 5.0. just send your allkeys.skf file, for your OEM devices :P , mixer packs, synth & sampler packs, Scope, etc. to support@soniccore.de. Ralf will issue new ones.

Right back atcha Jimmy V :wink:
Joel
dante

Post by dante »

I dont get it. I cant afford XITE for a year or two at least. But I still might get SCOPE 5.0 in near future for my PCI cards.

So when I get XITE I will effectively have paid for 2 versions of SCOPE 5.0 ?
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Short answer: No! I asked Ralf and with short response i have i know that you can transfer all your license/keys to XITE-1. I am sure there will be some official info on this.
Me$$iah

Post by Me$$iah »

actually dante, you wont have paid for scope 5 at all. Neither time.

That is of course if you already have the 4.5 upgrade. If ya do then Scope 4 will be free to you. And it comes bundled with the Xite, so I guess thats kinda free.

I may be wrong tho, and if you are not running on 4.5 so you upgrade to 5 for a fee and consider the price to be paid for the Xite as some for the hardware and some for the software, then yeh.... you may be right.

For me tho I dont think I'll be paying for either, my cards upgrade should be free, and the xite is cheap enough that the software feels free..... at least to me .....
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Me$$iah wrote:actually dante, you wont have paid for scope 5 at all. Neither time.

That is of course if you already have the 4.5 upgrade. If ya do then Scope 4 will be free to you. And it comes bundled with the Xite, so I guess thats kinda free.
This is not completely true! Scope 5.0 is free for you if you ordered Upgrade from v.xx. to v4.5 - in a specific time line!
Telling that Scope 5.0 is free for xite is pretty much worthless since Xite need some software to run. What truly should be pointed is that Xite comes bundled with Synth n Sampler and Mix and Master !!!

But as i said Ralf told me that all your current keys can be transferred to xite. That mean (for example) if you have Flexor licensed to your "old" card you don't have to buy it again, once when you order xite. They will transfer it to xite for you. Which is cool :)
dante

Post by dante »

Im on Scope 4 - not paid for 4.5 at this stage. And would transferring keys mean I would not longer be able to use scope 5 on the PCI cards ?

As it currently stands, I have 3 cards in one PC. If I choose to use one of the cards in another PC that doesnt mean I would have to buy another copy of SCOPE 4 would it ?

I mean, Ive purchased some SHARCS and the right to use them with SCOPE4 - irrexpective of how those SHARCS are distributed across one or many host CPU's.

Would not this be the same licensing model used for SCOPE 5 irrespective of whether I chose to use all my SHARCS in an XITE alone, or spread across XITE and PCI Slots ?
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

If you have three cards in your PC, and move one of them to another PC, you can use whatever SFP version that is licensed to the card in question. pretty simple.

As for key transfer, you dont transfer the SFP itself, just your (extra) plugins. if you have minimax on your PCI card you wouldnt want to move that, since its allready on the Xite.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

dante wrote:Im on Scope 4 - not paid for 4.5 at this stage. And would transferring keys mean I would not longer be able to use scope 5 on the PCI cards ?
the only keys that have to be transferred to xite are optional plugins from third party developers and everything from S|C not included in M&M and S&S pack (since both are included in scope5 for xite). it would simply make no sense to transfer a scope5 license for pci to scope5 for xite :)
As it currently stands, I have 3 cards in one PC. If I choose to use one of the cards in another PC that doesnt mean I would have to buy another copy of SCOPE 4 would it ?
scope 4.5/ 5.0 keys are bound to a specific board, so if you rip that board off the machine, the remaining cards are only valid for use with the highest release of sfp licensed to one or both boards (4.0, for example).
I mean, Ive purchased some SHARCS and the right to use them with SCOPE4 - irrexpective of how those SHARCS are distributed across one or many host CPU's.
afair scope 4 was a free upgrade to all your scope boards (except 3dsp boards), so you should be able to use sfp 4 with any of your boards, separated or not, as soon as you received your sfp 4.0 keys.
that does not apply to sfp 4.5 or scope 5.0.
sfp 4.5 was mainly bundled plugins and a (very) minor software facelift.
Would not this be the same licensing model used for SCOPE 5 irrespective of whether I chose to use all my SHARCS in an XITE alone, or spread across XITE and PCI Slots ?
this applies only for new bought hardware. every pci card you can buy new right now has 4.5 licensed and is, thus, eligible for a free upgrade to 5.0. it's almost like buying a xite with 5.0 pre-bundled,
execpt the fact that scope 5.0 for xite is already there ;)
for older boards there is still the upgrade fee that includes plugin bundles for most cards (except 3dsp cards, again).

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
dante

Post by dante »

As for key transfer, you dont transfer the SFP itself, just your (extra) plugins. if you have minimax on your PCI card you wouldnt want to move that, since its allready on the Xite.
Ok, so if I have Dynatube running on 1 PC / card and I split my cards to another PC I cant run Dynatube on both PC's at once unless I buy another Dynatube ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's right.

they might not actually do your keys that way, but it's ALWAYS been so. if you have Dynatube on one card, you don't automatically get to use it on another card in another pc. licenses have ALWAYS been for a specific card. i can't imagine why you would think that's changed. think of those devices as hardware(since they are). if you have a guitar amp in one room in one building, you can't use it in another room in another building at the same time.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

YUP...from what I understand..It is card serial number specific..so whatever devices you want to use on that card, in that room...have the key pre-assigned to it. look at allkeys.skf that will tell you what devices are assigned to that card..'ts up Garyb! :wink:
Joel
dante

Post by dante »

i can't imagine why you would think that's changed
Not sure if I thought it had changed - just hadn't thought about how that would work in the first place...now I know !

Sooo. lemme see if I got this right ........If I decide not to pay the upgrade to scope 5 PCI ( from SCOPE4 ) now for my cards, then even if I get XITE later with SCOPE5 and still keep my cards they will remain on SCOPE 4 unless I pay for SCOPE5 PCI upgrade ( irrespective of owning SCOPE5 for XITE ).
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

the scope.rgy file shows which card holds the key, so I believe you can copy the .rgy and hack out (carefully) the keys ONLY for the specific cards you migrate to another machine, and it should work (and is still legal I believe since it's tied the card anyways).

I remember doing this during a transitionary phase between PC upgrades, and it worked out just fine.

Xite seems to be chock full of goodies (from seeing the list in the other post), so the PCI boards may just get a whole slew of fun with Scope5 in along for the ride.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dante

Post by dante »

if you have Dynatube on one card, you don't automatically get to use it on another card in another pc. licenses have ALWAYS been for a specific card. i can't imagine why you would think that's changed. think of those devices as hardware(since they are).
Yeah...except that I can run 2 instances on the same PC - I do this since my Digitech ValveFX outputs in stereo. Has some nice stereo programming done on the ROM which I sometimes like to use stock rather than try replicate in SCOPE off a mono track..

I believe many good stadium guitarists would do the same - eg one stereo FX preamp then output left/right to 2 seperate amp/cabs/stacks placed a distance apart for wide stereo.

Anyway Im still not 100% sure about whether I'll end up paying for SCOPE5 twice if I decide to keep cards and get XITE. I understand devices are tied to DSP instances ( with the adjustability outlined by siriusbliss above re legal scope.rgy file editing ), but what about the SCOPE5 UI itself ?

I spose one deciding factor will be whether the binaries are the same (SCOPE5 for XITE vs SCOPE5 for PCI).
cortone

Post by cortone »

dante,

It's not that hard to figure out. The Scope UI is also tied to the device, just like the plug ins. Scope 5.0 will not run on a PCI card that does not have the corresponding 5.0 keys. The only way to get from 4.0 to 5.0 is via an upgrade.

Buying a new computer with Vista does not make your old XP computer eligible for Vista-for-free, does it? No, you would have to buy a separate upgrade for the old XP computer. The same applies here: buying XITE does not make your PCI cards eligible for 5.0. As far as buying 5.0 twice: You are not. You are buying 5.0 once with the XITE card. In additiona, you are paying to upgrade the 4.0 UI to the 5.0 UI that you have already purchased with your PCI cards.

It is possible to run both XITE and PCI 4.0 (or 5.0) on the same system, based on initial reports, but they are independent applications, and are not "unified" in the same way that multiple PCI cards are when using an STDM cable. They are connected via IOs only.

I find it highly unlikely that the executables will be the same between XITE and PCI cards given the hardware differences.

That being said, Creamware exercised a lot of flexibility in this area, and sometimes presented "gifts." Maybe Sonic Core does the same, may be not. They certainly don't have to, and they have clear policies stating so. But if they do, understand that it is a gift, and be very thankful.

I hope this helps sort it out for you.

Cory