XITE-1 Mixer Loads

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

XITE-1 Mixer Loads

Post by dawman »

Below is an example of what a mixer freak can get.
I have no desire or need to load this amount, but it's a great cock measuring jpeg.
At 75% it finally asked for an optimizarion.
At that point I decided to move on to other tasks at hand.
The DAS MM Mixer, and SpaceF's FB5 are no slouches.
They have massive AUX's and built in Valve effects.
Even Celmos unknown and excellent Keyboard Mixer.
It has built in AUX' and the Stereo EchoReq II Reverb.
Which is reminiscient of the old Ursa Major Space Station.
So all of these mixers are not your stock low DSP typed.
They are members of the FAT BASTARD club.

BTW the XITE-1 w/o optimizing anything, starts loading on chip 18.
Then starts adding on chip 7. The largest numbers in the left column go up to 6350.
When assigning devices to a DSP chip.
Those numbers do not allow me to raise voice polyphony.
Or exceed the number of 5500.
So while these assignments are cool and can be re assigned on the fly.
It appears as though one would get better results by leaving them be.
But then again locking a large device to a DSP chip might have advantages, I am not sure.

The overall experience compared to old cards is much more satisfying.
My MIDI CC assignments are all re called now on the B2003.
Six String doesn't default to the effect being enabled as it use to.
Also the hourglass never hangs anymore, everything is just polished to a high sheen.

Notice the transparent views of the DAS MM Modules stacked.
I can see what's under the top mixer module and the same goes with every module.
Really classy and great to have.
The power of this beast cannot be loaded onto a single screen.
I will be adding more as the time to expand is justified.
pollux

Re: XITE-1 Mixer Loads

Post by pollux »

Hi Jimmy,

If you have some time, could you please try to load Wolf's big one, and activate all the channels (they don't use any DSP when deactivated / unplugged), and also activate all the channels' MIDI (like when using a mackie control)?
Normally this fully loads a 15 DSP board.

Ankyusverysmuch! :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Wolfie's 16 and 32 won't load up yet, but I believe he has put on his white coat and gloves and is trying to figure out the rgy. entries that reside in the App/Bin.
His 32 channel mixer w/ Mackie control is sure to be a hit. But actually linking 2 on the same screen is just as feasible.
FYI all of the above mixers are loaded with all functions on, because I am trying to overload the XITE-1 to find any weaknesses, and so far the mixers and effects work the best.
6 DAS MM's, 6 FB5-X's several various channel strips and 3 EZ Keyboard Mixers is a huge load.
I have seen 7000 in the left column and 1100 in the first 6 DSP's recently.
Wolf will be sure to chime in here soon as I believe he and many developers are interested to see the compatabilities.
I love this thing and have turned into a recluse.
Tomorrow I have a couple of pro FOH / IEM pros stopping by to check it out.
They too see the future of this w/ a large surface controller for live shows.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

YUM....

Guess I'll have to get some FB's for my Xite rig. :D

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

jimmy, i guess a basic setup.... :lol:
dawman

Post by dawman »

To solve the screen space issue the psuedo 3D layering is way cool.
Always being able to click a corner and bring the module to the top to re connect, etc.
Very wise indeed.
I think Scope 5.0 guys are going to be impressed, especially if what I am seeing carries over to the Scope 5.0 software.
No more hourglass lingering on, no more double arrows and oddities I use to get at full loads, etc.
It's fast smooth and classy, but large loads take a while to optimize once you reach 85%, and at start up it shows the project window quickly while it loads everything, and as soon as the project is ready the hourglass disappears....

Class Act 4 Sure... :wink:

BTW, your stuff works flawlesly just in case you wanted to know.
untitled a.JPG
Enrada

Post by Enrada »

Hi Jimmy,

could you do me a favour and make a performance test with adern xor (demo)? how many voices are possible with one instance played at 96 khz?
my old 18 dsp system is not able to generate more than 1 voice @ 96khz with the demo of xor, due to allocation problems with dsp power.
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Looks awesome!

Does the load change once you connect all the inputs ? I usually do that when
trying to mix :p
spacef

Post by spacef »

FrancisHarmany wrote:Looks awesome!

Does the load change once you connect all the inputs ? I usually do that when
trying to mix :p
Hi Frans,
about SpaceF mixers, all channels are active when you load the mixer in the project even if they are not in use (unless you desactivate them manually). That way, the whole mixers/channels don't move from where they are and the dsp load remains compact and once you load them, all the mixer channels and features will work, whatever you load in your project after the mixer(s). Most SpaceF devices are like that anyway, once loaded, all is available.... (it is true that, i think i have made a version of FB5 with 2 or 3 channels off-dsp by default as it was requested, but i think the latest / next version will have all channels on (+another version with some channels off, for smaller dsp setups).

Dear Jimmy V (Dear "Chosen One"), you got me inspired..... The problem is not dsp anymore, but screen size :-)
what about a 22 inches long mixer :D
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

spacef wrote:The problem is not dsp anymore, but screen size :-)
what about a 22 inches long mixer :D
or more... how about a mixer that can double in width (or two sections side by side) - I use 3 monitors :D
This way the single-monitor guys will be happy (for project studios, etc.) and the FOH guys will be happy with wider viewing.
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
spacef

Post by spacef »

after some thoughts, you are right
Screen size is not the problem anymore... midi is (119 C per device is not much for bigger mixers) ...
there are ways anyways.... :)
winger

Post by winger »

I assume from your statement "midi is (119 C per device is not much for bigger mixers) ... ", that they did not address this midi limitation in 5.0? 119 c is barely enough for even a small mixer.
mark winger
spacef

Post by spacef »

Why do you assume this ? it's a big shortcut. I actually assumed this myself from the "Xite is shipping" thread, but the truth is "i have no idea, i haven't tried yet".
What i meant is more about people having only midi compatible controllers (not OSC compatible controllers for example).

In SpaceF mixer you have 2*119 CCs (119 on surface, 119 for inserts) and it is generally enough.
Of course, more would be better, but there are tricks also:
In any device, you can make several midi CC presets and reassign them depending where you need them. It is just about clicking on different midi cc presets, it allows to use the same knobs/faders on the hardware controller for your Eqs, compresors etc. It is easy, it is "just" a matter of each person having to do it for his own controller (and whether the device's parameters are fully controllable) and having to make it a logic way.

It is what i use in bigger devices of mine like WS4 and LBH VIII devices, where i barely use more than 32 different Midi CCs numbers from my hardware controllers. For example, i could have access to the 1400+ parameters of LBH VIII with only 32 midi CCs (i use 24 of them to control various parameters that are always in all the presets, and the rest is "dynamic" ( the truth is that i assigned only about 400 "most desired" parameters, as i'm used to do some stuff with the mouse, but i don't know why i did that, i barely need hardware control on more than, say 64 parameters on devices, much less in fact). But i perfectly understand the wish to have OSC and things like that that adress the limits of midi).

You see what i mean about how to use only a few CC numbers to control a virtually infinite number of parameters in any device/effect ?
I can explain but only considering SpaceF mixers, for inserts, because they are made to allow this and it is easier than assigning parameters in each inserts, which is what can also be done in most other mixers.
Gatam

Post by Gatam »

Hi Dear SpaceF,

your exemple is completely ok for Live exemples but,
it's nearly impossible to work like that if i want to make some automation from my DAW
Even in live situation, it could be bothersome to switch between midi presets(1).
So thanks a lot to you, providing 2 midi ports to your mixers :-)

(1) Anyway, on the controller, it's already necessary to have several page for 1 Device
spacef

Post by spacef »

Yes it's true, and I am very lazy at switching controller pages :lol:
the midi controller of my dreams doesn't exist, i've looked everywhere.....
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's why i only automate what i need for a particular mix. it's nice to have the huge dedicated controller no doubt, but it's not necessary. actually, if you don't have a full sized controller, the mouse and assigning the few faders you really need is really quicker and easier. it's pretty rare that i need to dynamically control more that the 16 sliders of a pc1600. i guess i can be an all or nothing guy sometimes...
winger

Post by winger »

In my case I am using yamaha promix-01 as controller for 4896 mixer in a live environment. It would be nice to have all or more of the controls availabe from the control surface. I currently have 24 channel faders, 24 mute buttons, 48 aux sends and 12 master/send/returns setup. This gets the most important things but I long for more control surface and less mouse usage. ( I have a touch screen that helps)
mark winger
spacef

Post by spacef »

OT
I found this, it looks interesting to make any screen become tactile using sound technology...
not sure it is available to the public and what is the price... but what sounds cool is that it can adapt screens from 15 (or 16) up to 60 inches...
http://www.sensitiveobject.fr/-VirtualA ... x-?lang=en
wolf

Post by wolf »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Wolfie's 16 and 32 won't load up yet,
I fixed this issue and will release it after some final tests & adjustments.
It'll be even a bit better since this way I was forced to do some optimisations for MackieControl Support.

A big "HURRAY & THANK YOU COUNTLESS TIMES" goes to Jimmie who was so kind to help me tracing the error.
If it's not asked too much maybe you could show dsp load to pollux ?

cheers,
Wolfgang
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ladies & Gentlemen.............Pollux................Ankyu............... :wink:
untitled D.JPG