ADAT problem help

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

andi_planetz

ADAT problem help

Post by andi_planetz »

Hello everyone,

i connect the mixL and mix R of my mixer to the inputs 1 and 2 of a VDAT device (same signals i put in the analog dest for listening) but the signal doesn't reach to the VDAT, in the VDAT's VU meter i don`t see anything level!, and when i press record button VDAT doesn't nothing at all.......can you help me please?

Thanks and sorry for my english...
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

did you 'arm' tracks 1 & 2? there are buttons right below the tape display that will let you do that
andi_planetz

Post by andi_planetz »

yes yes, i've armed the tracks too, i pressed that buttons but nothing...
arela

Post by arela »

and the tracks?
are there 8 emty tracks in "your VDAT folder"?
andi_planetz

Post by andi_planetz »

yes, the 8 empty wav files are in the hard disk, but when i press record button VDAT doesn't start ! all seems correct, isn't it?
garyb

Post by garyb »

how about posting a couple screenshots?
mausmuso

Same Problem

Post by mausmuso »

Hi Andi,
I am experiencing the same thing you describe.
Set up VDat to record the stereo out of the mixer, armed I1 and I 2 hit play in Cubase and the VDat VUs show nothing.
Hit Play in VDat and nothing happens.
In fact SCOPE hangs altogether on some occassions.

Did you find an answer to your issue?

This pretty disappointing as I want to bring in a bunch of old ADAT recordings to keep, but I cant even get to first base.

I thought to start with it had something to do with my M-Audio ProjectMix IO, but with that off and SCOPE set as the Master I get zip.
Any help would be appreciated.
regards,
mausmuso
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

The VDAT & VRC manuals explain how best to set it up, so I could just say RTFM, but I'm not like that, so.... Unless using external adat hardware your config' should be VRC-128 or VRC as master, VDAT as slave & cubase as slave via the asio clk. With that set up properly, you work from the VRC transport & VDAT & Cubase will sync & slave. Sorry if I missed something, it's been a couple of months since I used VDAT. :)
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

<~Shroomz~> wrote:I could just say RTFM
Shroomz, I could say I have RFTM and to some extent its true.
On your advice though I went back and read the manuals more closely and I seem to be doing the right things
The probelm now I look closer appears to be that the VDat never gets set as a Slave. The VRC does not recognise any Vdat slave in the chain.
I dont seem to be able to set the VDat to slave, maybe I need to read further.....?
I assume that when you connect the Clk that the VDat should recognise the VRC and set itself to slave??
I went back and reloaded Scope 4.5 over itself just in case it was corrupt somehow but that made no difference.
Further assistance would be appreciated
mausmuso
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

mausmuso wrote:Shroomz, I could say I have RFTM and to some extent its true.
I only said that in jest & didn't mean any offence.

I just loaded a project in which I had VDAT working properly, but for some reason I'm not getting it to work the way it was before. I had this issue before as well & clearly remember the fix being simple, but I can't think what it was at the moment.

The VRC clk out should be connected to both VDAT clkI input & also to the clk input on your ASIO module.

I'll let you know when I figure it out again. :roll:
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, when you make the connection, vdat should automatically change to slave. really, there's not much advantage to using the vrc. all the same functions are on the vdat already....
mausmuso

Vdat Issue

Post by mausmuso »

Hi Shroomz,
I took no offence its a good call.
'If all else fails read the book' - typical techo approach.
Here are some of the symptoms which hopefully will trigger some memory.
- With a Vdat on board no VU meters work (not on the VDat or any mixer loaded)
- Connecting a Vdat in the output chain. I get sound (No VU) with the record inputs selected on the VDat.
- Loading a Tape the first time appears to work but often it is lost when setting Locator points and then Tapes no longer load unitl SCOPE is rebooted.
- Hitting VDat play or record is registered with the buttons lighting up but tape does not start running and no time change is registrered
- Auto Return, Play, Record buttons do not response to pressing.
- Rehearse button appears to work but cant test functionality.

I suspect this has something to do with the clock. Loading a VRC , VCR 128,, or VDat renders devices that do not respond to transport button presses.

After loading a Vdat and then closing down SCOPE the SCOPE taskbar icon does not shut down. I need to log off and log on again to get SCOPE to reload.
Logging off I get a message End Program - wxTaskBar is not responding.

I am working at 48Khz with SCOPE as Master - changing samplerate does not change the above.
Maybe I should just wait for SCOPE 5???
Thanks for the responses
mausmuso
garyb

Post by garyb »

it sounds like there's something wrong with the install....
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

mausmuso,

Gary might have point regardign your install. It definately sounds like you've got more problems than I have regarding VDAT if it's not working for you at all. The fact that VU meters on other devices are being stopped from working sounds very strange.

1 minute today sorted out the issue I was having yesterday with my VDAT project & it's the same issue that I've had before. I can't get the VRC-S working with VDAT, but as soon as I switched to using the VRC-128 it worked first time. Loaded a 10 minute tape in VDAT, pressed record on the VRC-128 transport & off they both went. VDAT slaves automatically & reports that on it's screen just above the samplerate readout.
mausmuso

Spot on Gary

Post by mausmuso »

garyb wrote:it sounds like there's something wrong with the install....
You got it in one.
On your posting, I remembered that when I built up my last PC there were problems with the install so I imported some files from the old C: drive to fix it. Can't remember what they were though.
Any way alls been well 'til I started playing with VDat.
I have reinstalled 4.5.
Vdat reports that it cannot find the record vdx file. Once I get pass that is appears to work ok although I am yet to record and play back with it (got too tired last night).
I will try to track down the offending file(s) tonight.
Gary and Shroomz., thanks so much for your help
Regards,
mausmuso
garyb

Post by garyb »

likely that file is there(scope/app/dsp), but just marked "read only". uncheck that and it should work.
mausmuso

VDat missing file

Post by mausmuso »

garyb wrote:likely that file is there(scope/app/dsp), but just marked "read only". uncheck that and it should work.
Hi Gary,
Unfortunately I cannot locate the file anywhere in the SCOPE directories.
The actual message I get is
'Can't find DSP file VDAT Recording VxD - Please check installation'.
Can anyone confirm the actual name of the file (if different from the message) and where it should be located (I assume it will be in the Scope/app/dsp directory).
It may actually be there.
I note that some VDat files do not come up when I search on 'VDat', yet when I try to import them it reports that they are already in the directory.
I have the 'show hidden files' checked on the window so I a not sure why that is.
Any help will be appreciated
mausmuso
garyb

Post by garyb »

this is a common problem.

i only see it when installing from a downloaded version on cd. if i put the install files on the desktop and install from there, i usually don't have a problem. the factory cd seems to be ok...

anyway, a search on "can't find dsp file" will find this batchfile which should fix the problem:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18596
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

garyb wrote:yes, when you make the connection, vdat should automatically change to slave. really, there's not much advantage to using the vrc. all the same functions are on the vdat already....
I might be wrong, but if I remember well that's not entirely true. For example the clk output on the VDAT doesn't output anything if it's not driven by a VRC. If I remember well....
garyb

Post by garyb »

that may be so...