Scope in xtc mode + Protools LE 7.3 WORKS !!!!

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

voidar

Re: Scope in xtc mode + Protools LE 7.3 WORKS !!!!

Post by voidar »

Guess what. I thought I had HT disabled, but your post made me curious so I just had to check. Turnes out it was enabled. So I disable HT..

The weird CPU peaks have gone now, instead my system just freezes upon pushing playback. I guess this makes sense as the CPU is digging into this task only and probably is left in some infinite loop. With HT there are other task, so it only shows "some" of the attention.

What is this crap.. ?

BTW, are you using the Scope ASIO driver or some other IO?
Janni

Post by Janni »

I'm using Scopes IOs (Scope Asio)...
I didn't do extrem testing... I had one audio track which sounded alright, scopefx worked.
After inserting the multi fx on the master, the system became too slow to work, so I just quit
and decided not to dig too deep into it, cause I wanna make music and not fiddle around... :D
I think we have the XTC mode right now, like it was in v4.5. If we are patient enough, we
will get some updates from SC and this will work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!
-/-
voidar

Post by voidar »

I never had this problem in v4.5. In some ways it works better in v5. I can load plenty instances in parallel, but any serial effect simply screws things up. I can probably work with this at the moment as I've found some good native plugs, but it shoudln't be like this, no.
voidar

Post by voidar »

I pretty much have it working now using the Scope ASIO.
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28504

Works better than v4.5 IMO.

I only have problems using 3rd party drivers.

UPDATE:

According to S|C. 3rd party XTC mode is not supported. :/
pedrosalvado

Post by pedrosalvado »

I did it!
Since my Mac Pro only has PCIe slots, I installed my Pulsar 2 (6DSPs) on a PC with an MBox while having my Mac Pro with a Digi003.

I wrapped the VSTs to RTAS and have most of the plugs working (masterverb pro, optimaster, delays, phazers and such... but I can't get Vinco nor PSYQ to work.

While trying to wrap PSYQ it gave me an error window saying some DSP file internal something was not found and for me to check the instalation. As to Vinco... it doesn't even appear in the FXpansion wrapper.

With my first instalation of Scope, optimaster didn't work either, I ran SFP and notice it wouldn't run there as well. I reinstalled Scope, ran SFP and opened optimaster, OK. Tried to wrap everything again... not one plug would wrap (different DSP file missing, some Fifo to MIDI). Deleted scope and XTC folder, reinstalled, and now optimaster does wrap, but still no sign of Vinco.

Another issue is, the moment I use a scope plug in pro tools, my cpu goes up to 75%. I added some more and it stays in 75%... is this normal?

Thank you!
voidar

Post by voidar »

I've had some CPU issues too, but that was even using the Scope ASIO driver. With as different driver the system would just hang. Now I have tweaked the DAW to work nicely with the Scope ASIO driver, but haven't tested again with a 3rd party driver. I can try again and see if the system hangs. If not it simply means the DSP has to be handled in a specific way.

Are you on a multi core and/or hyper threaded system?
pedrosalvado

Post by pedrosalvado »

voidar wrote:I've had some CPU issues too, but that was even using the Scope ASIO driver. With as different driver the system would just hang. Now I have tweaked the DAW to work nicely with the Scope ASIO driver, but haven't tested again with a 3rd party driver. I can try again and see if the system hangs. If not it simply means the DSP has to be handled in a specific way.

Are you on a multi core and/or hyper threaded system?
Although the computer is a dual core, I don't believe it has hyper threading enabled. My system did not hang, but as the plugins should be on scope's DSPs, I found it odd that it blew my cpu usage to 75% in pro tools (with any of scope's plugs).

Instead of running my pulsar in XTC mode and wrapping the VSTs to RTAS, would I be able to use the plugins via ADAT?

I mean, in my pro tools rig (mac pro) via ADAT send/return, to send the signal to scope (running in my pc), through Vinco (for example) and then back to pro tools.. would this work?
voidar

Post by voidar »

I think the high CPU is due to using a different driver. I reported this to S|C and they basically did this mode was not supported. Check your HT status. It might hang without it though as multi-threading might be the only thing that keeps the system alive.

Yes, you can tread the DSP as regular hardware (that is what it is really) and interface via ADAT. Though PT would need to have some form of hardware intergration, or you can just setup some routing. I'm sure you'll figure out how to. I don't know PT.
pedrosalvado

Post by pedrosalvado »

voidar wrote:I think the high CPU is due to using a different driver. I reported this to S|C and they basically did this mode was not supported. Check your HT status. It might hang without it though as multi-threading might be the only thing that keeps the system alive.

Yes, you can tread the DSP as regular hardware (that is what it is really) and interface via ADAT. Though PT would need to have some form of hardware intergration, or you can just setup some routing. I'm sure you'll figure out how to. I don't know PT.

I connected them via ADAT... but if I have a guitar track in pro tools and send it to ADAT 1 (that goes to SFP) then in an aux track I receive the return from ADAT1 (even without passing through any effects), I have phase problems due to the latency involved.... any way to fix this?

Thanks.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

pedrosalvado wrote:
voidar wrote:I think the high CPU is due to using a different driver. I reported this to S|C and they basically did this mode was not supported. Check your HT status. It might hang without it though as multi-threading might be the only thing that keeps the system alive.

I connected them via ADAT... but if I have a guitar track in pro tools and send it to ADAT 1 (that goes to SFP) then in an aux track I receive the return from ADAT1 (even without passing through any effects), I have phase problems due to the latency involved.... any way to fix this?

Thanks.
Lower the latency on the scope pc to the minimum.And as ptle has no automatic delay compensation you have to shift the tracks to fit.
pedrosalvado

Post by pedrosalvado »

Fluxpod wrote:
pedrosalvado wrote:

Thanks.
Lower the latency on the scope pc to the minimum.And as ptle has no automatic delay compensation you have to shift the tracks to fit.

Thought so... scope already is at minimum.

Thank you for all the help.
voidar

Post by voidar »

The latency round-trip of ADAT -> Scope -> ADAT is nothing to speak of really; 1-2ms or so, and it has nothing to do with ULLI. That is just for the software barrier (ASIO). Scope DSP is as real-time as it gets. Think of it as a digital outboard multi-processor.

Your PT latency settings is what is causing this, as well as the no ADC.

You will either have to print the track in PT and re-align, or move everything else with some sample delay.
pedrosalvado

Post by pedrosalvado »

PT LE sucks... I wish I could use my Scope interfaces with Pro Tools software... =/

Oh well.. thank you for all your help.

Just one more thing, why didn't Vinco wrapped like the other plugins?
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

voidar wrote:The latency round-trip of ADAT -> Scope -> ADAT is nothing to speak of really; 1-2ms or so, and it has nothing to do with ULLI. That is just for the software barrier (ASIO). Scope DSP is as real-time as it gets. Think of it as a digital outboard multi-processor.

Your PT latency settings is what is causing this, as well as the no ADC.

You will either have to print the track in PT and re-align, or move everything else with some sample delay.
I am always wondering about this.Does ulli really make no difference at all when you just go over adad/midi? It kinda makes sense as there is no asio involved.

I use it that way in a second pc.
voidar

Post by voidar »

ULLI must be just the driver buffer parameter. This is why you can have "no latency" monitoring by setting it up in the routing window that way.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Yeah thats what i thought.It has been almost 10 years when i used scope with asio lol....
tripstation

Post by tripstation »

Hi,
thought I'd join the discussion.
Just started using a scope 6dsp card with no i/o (jumper 2-3 trick) with protools 8.03 HD.
Works really well, only when I use one cpu in PT.
If I use more than one I get an error saying that the scope hardware may not work any more.
So far I've managed to use synths and reverbs etc.
tripstation

Post by tripstation »

Hi,
I tried to use scope 5 with PT HD 8.03 with the jumper pin 2-3 trick in XT mode.
No go at the mo.
Anyone got this going yet?
Shame cause is working really well in 4.5.
Also in 4.5 am not getting the gui for the sts samplers.
Any ideas on this one?
voidar

Post by voidar »

If there is no GUI then you have to check your installation. There are probably some path and name anomalies.
Clapaucius

Post by Clapaucius »

I am an old (for 11 years) user of Scope Project card. I like this card and would like to keep it and work with it unlike it's age, but in present situation, when I need very much to work with at least 16Giga RAM (2 computers with 8G RAM on each one, VSL Ensemble PRO as a connection software between two computers), I desided to purchase another card, which will give me possibility to install Windows 7 64bit and use 8 gigabyte of RAM. So I bought Lynx Two. I whanted to install this card for Windows 7, but also I want to keep WinXP 32bit and there to have Lynx as my main card and Scope in XTC mode to use it's plug-ins. I did so, also I found here a picture with explanation, how to convert Scope to plain XTC card by adding a jumper at the appropriate place. I did so, and everything have worked well, until some very strange behaviour appeared:
when I add to some audio track in Cubase-5 MORE THEN ONE XTC effects, it start to stummer and snap, it looks like I overload my system, but I don't, it is happening even when I use the most lite effects. I remoove the second effect - it returns to normal sound, i.e. it works well with ONLY ONE loaded effect. The more strange thing is, that this shit doesn't happen when I load XTC INSTRUMENTS! I can open two or more XTC instruments with two or more XTC effects in insert for everyone of them (of cause, with the natural bound of Sope processors capacity), and everything works just fine, also with regular VST instruments and XTC effects with them as well. This strange thing happens with audio tracks only. I wrote to Sonic Core and this is the answer I'vw got from them:

"the pure XTC mode without IO-Plate is not supported by Sonic Core.
It was never really working.

The XTC mode with Scope as ASIO driver and with IO-Plate
for the Pulsar board is working, you should use that."