Access Virus Scope

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

JyGius

Access Virus Scope

Post by JyGius »

Hi all!

It would be super to have an Access Virus for our Scope Platform! When I say Virus I mean VIRUS C/VIRUS INDIGO.
I think something like TC Powercore or TDM!!!
I don't know if it would be possible to do it (technically speaking... and marketing as well)... but it would be super! But with no less than 14 DSP in order to have enough power for the Virus (16 part-multitimbral , polyphony... and effects!)
Do you think that a 14 DSP would suffice?

Yeah...! I'm crazy! A Creazy Creamware User!
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I think a 14 dsp card should be more than enough to do that.
:)
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

surely, but you don`t have to port the code.
Maybe if you want an exact 1:1 copy,

but someone (including me) could build a similar synth with the same architecture in scope.

Maybe we will realize that the scope version would even sound better.

The Virus is a performance synth, so one wouldn`t have to rebuild the basic synth architecure only but also a similar effect section too.

I def. want to have something like this too, as we have many classic sounding stuff in scope, but a litlle less modern synth designs.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

hifiboom wrote: but someone (including me) could build a similar synth with the same architecture in scope.
do it! 8)
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

faxinadu wrote:
hifiboom wrote: but someone (including me) could build a similar synth with the same architecture in scope.
do it! 8)
no. finish U-Pete-R first. then do it :)
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

kylie wrote:
faxinadu wrote:
do it! 8)
no. finish U-Pete-R first. then do it :)
c`mon guys ...

I also have a real life ! :lol: :D

lets say, I would like to do everything.

BTW , the You-Pt-R has grown already and actually it needs a 1280x1024 screen as a minimum resolution. lol
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

hifiboom wrote:I also have a real life ! :lol: :D
really? what would that look like? :D
--
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

stardust wrote:Image
you're sooo cute in your leisure suit, stardust :)
is that the common recreation dress code on squornhoellisch zeta? :D

-greetings, markus-
Last edited by kylie on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

:lol:
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

stardust wrote:All for hifis normal life entertainment. :D
virtual life entertainment :D

the real life entertainment was yesterday. :D :P
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

"we love to entertain you [tm]" :D
--
johnbowen

Re: Access Virus Scope

Post by johnbowen »

JyGius wrote:Hi all!

It would be super to have an Access Virus for our Scope Platform! When I say Virus I mean VIRUS C/VIRUS INDIGO.....
That's what the new VOID is supposed to be! Have you taken a look at it?

john b.
dawman

Post by dawman »

John,

CW / SC should pay you for marketing. They should have seen the hype that the Virus created and mention it when they released VOID.

Sales would have probably been stronger.

I bet your insights from this comment will be responsible for a dozen sales next week.

It's very noble of you to do this w/o even making a plug for one of your synths, which BTW could downsize itself to do just that.

:)
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Aha!! Pulling this one out now when xite is here :P I am no joking but i would like to see Virus on Scope. Virus powercore is not "emulation" of virus synth as someone think(Jimmy). It is the same Virus B thing!!! And it is a hell lot better then 97,345,06% VST instruments available :D It does have own character and no VOID or COS are not anything like.

Now when xite is here i think it is probably more then possible. I am sure since virus is powered by motorola, that porting to sharc would be massive job but if everything is finished right, it should be equal.

Virus is still popular today. According to JRR shop (one of most popular US online store...Eric will confirm this about virus) Virus is best selling powercore plugin in JRR shop. Even better then VSS3 :lol:
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

The exact reason that Virus B is on the Pro-Tools system is because they used the same Motorola chip. Access just handed over their code to Digidesign and let them do the 'conversion' work. For this, I imagine Digi still paid a pretty nice license fee :-)
Probably TC had a similar arrangement, since they also use the Motorola parts.
For SHARC-based systems, you would probably would have to pay Access both a conversion fee to SHARC code, plus a license fee. I doubt if then there's much left over to make it a profitable sale for SC.
-john b.
astroman

Post by astroman »

to be honest I don't even see a place for 'Virus' sound in Scope
from versatility a Solaris beats it anytime and some of SpaceF's devices are really close to the slightly harsh and cutting Motorola sound. Add some of Adern's flavour and I hardly can imagine anything the Access device might be able to provide that's not already covered.

One of the advantages of Scope is that you can pickup any number of devices to setup your custom performance Uber-Synth.
The Virus is a cool live thing for it's control surface and that's about it.
Which is soon to be covered by John's hardware incarnation (and extension) of Solaris as well.

cheers, Tom
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I dont know about that, i put other stuff on the block to save up for XITE-1 but i did not even think about selling the TI
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

I got a Virus C rack..It stays. My 2 D70s..they can go...Red Sounds Elevata..that too goes
Joel
maky325

Post by maky325 »

astroman wrote:to be honest I don't even see a place for 'Virus' sound in Scope
from versatility a Solaris beats it anytime and some of SpaceF's devices are really close to the slightly harsh and cutting Motorola sound. Add some of Adern's flavour and I hardly can imagine anything the Access device might be able to provide that's not already covered.

One of the advantages of Scope is that you can pickup any number of devices to setup your custom performance Uber-Synth.
The Virus is a cool live thing for it's control surface and that's about it.
Which is soon to be covered by John's hardware incarnation (and extension) of Solaris as well.

cheers, Tom
I don't even see chance to compare these two becasue they are very very different. I am not talking about versatility. You are completely missing my point. Virus can't compete with Modular in versatility. But Virus has it's own sound character. Will you admit it or not it is completely up to you. Slightly harsh sound to you is imo subjective opinion and calling sound harsh because of Motorola chip is simply not true :-? . Everything out there running on DSP is simply matter of algorithm behind.

To make it clear, i am not pulling Virus in sky. I see it just as different and very unique tool. That is all. Especially if you are making electronic music. Well it has been unique enough for making status in music history. For example i simply don't know for any (be it young or older) amateur/producer which at least did not hear word or two about "some Virus synth" while i know a lot of young and older people which never heard of Scope or Solaris for scope (hopefully this will change..).

I am aware of situation and it seems that we wont see it on scope, but poco card is cheap these days anyway.

Solaris can mimick Virus to some degree in the same way Virus can mimick Solaris to some degree but Solaris is Solaris and Virus is Virus. They are not the same thing :roll:

To be completely honest it is a bit puzzling to me why people tend to replicate this or that with completely different tools? If you want Oberheim sound go with Oberheim (they are cheap today, MAtrix 6r or 1000 will cut it). If you now try to convince me that you can completely replicate Obi or Virus sound by just making oberheim filter or virus like filter emulation (or OSC emulation) in scope then please stop there.

If you want Solaris sound you should stick with Solaris. It is unique enough. Same thing is with Virus. We are talking about porting Virus to Scope. I am pretty sure Virus will never sound like Minimax or Flexor and vice versa...
astroman

Post by astroman »

sorry, I didn't mean 'slightly harsh' in a disrespective way, for me it's just what describes Motorola versus Sharc best. As mentioned it's more 'cutting through' to my ears.
I've had a couple of Motorola synths on a Midiman card myself, I've heard enough Nord examples and Virus stuff too (admittedly I may have missed some of the latest releases...).

There is a difference in the basic sound processing (leaving all FX and tuning aside), you cannot port a Virus to Sharc and have it sound like a Virus.
You make fake it's soundprint to a degree and the SpaceF synth that came with Blackbox was pretty close.
I found that very interesting, as no other Scope developer has this 'signature sound', at least according to my humble ears.

On the other hand I don't know any Motorola device that sounds even remotely like Scope.
I've recently tested an old Intellifex (Rocktron) guitar processor - and I wanted it.
I liked the sound (delay, reverb, chorus and pitch-shifting) because it was different from my Scope devices - it features a Motorola DSP btw.
Simply another color on the acoustic palette.

That's why I don't understand why people want this Virus nonsense under Scope.
There is a Virus and Access is a cool company, so just buy one or use it (like those who posted above that they'd never part with theirs).
I wouldn't give up my Yamaha DX7 stuff for the same reason ;)
We pretty much agree, don't we ?

cheers, Tom