vinco response vs vintage

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Wired

vinco response vs vintage

Post by Wired »

figured out to get the vinco to respond normally the input level has to be significant
Last edited by Wired on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's not meant to be a 1:1 model...
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

if you need a more responsive compressor, try the dadev a23st.
Wired

Post by Wired »

i have a drawmer 68 merc and am getting the tfpro p38, and i have the uad stuff, i like the vinco, tho it still changes the audio well in peak mode
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

On 2006-03-19 14:29, Wired wrote:
inoticed that the vinco's attack and release don't vary much with rms, however, on peak, it effects the audio in a different way than the vintage external. For instance when you open the release cw it actually quiets the drumloop down
hmm, isn't that how it's logically supposed to work? If you open up the release the compressor will work longer after each peak and so the result will appear more quiet than with a very short release. If you want the transients to come trough, open up the attack.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Thast is sort of my initial thoughts aswell.
Wired

Post by Wired »

well, this is the funny thing, in the uad if you open the release it elongates the audio to have longer decay transients, like adjusting the decay in the spl transient designer. i love the vinco, its just the directions of the knobs are different, ..ps, do many of you have the vinco in the mastering chain, i have sbc, opti, then thru ext. comp, where do you put the vinco?
voidar

Post by voidar »

Strange. I allways thought it worked the right way as in more release = more sustain.

My "mastering-chain" is usually: FinaLiza -> GraphEQ -> Vinco (RMS-mode)
Wired

Post by Wired »

more release, more sustain, thats true, but its not that obvious in the vinco vs the uad 1176ln comp. i thought that the vinco's inside circuitry couldn't handle a whole mix buss supurbly, support use to tell me its better on single instruments (good width)
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

i have uad too and vinco is simply a different compressor.

The scope's standard compressors works in a more similar way of the uad ones.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

For the best "punch" in drums tracks, try the UAD EX-1 with medium-high attack and short relase.
Try to compare with other (even famous & expensive) compressors like UREI, VINCO, FAIRCHILD, etc.
Wow!!! :grin:
Obviously the others features more "vintage" character, but EX-1 remains my "secret" weapon in the mix... :wink:
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

from sound on sound's "advanced compression techniques" article:
To make the effect of compression smooth and natural-sounding, compressors often allow attack and release time parameters to be set by the user, but just occasionally these are fully automated. The attack time determines how long the compressor takes to reduce the gain once the input signal has passed the threshold, while the release time determines how long the gain takes to return to normal after the input signal has fallen back below the threshold.
Wired

Post by Wired »

typically i've always thought that if you have less release, like 1ms, the drums would be more punchy, and as you open the release (if there is significant compression), because the threshold is significant the decay of the transients are longer (maybe percieved because the gain hasn't gonve to normal), but its the trick people without the spl transient designere use, ...witht the vinco, once the release is open all the way, with significant input (compression) the file tends to sound like th original without compression
voidar

Post by voidar »

That might be true, but the dynamics have been reduced. It's a very smooth compressor.
I think I am closer to understand what you mean, but I have no means to compare with an UAD or UA.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

On 2006-03-21 09:54, Wired wrote:
with the vinco, once the release is open all the way, with significant input (compression) the file tends to sound like th original without compression
probably because once the release is totally open, the compressor is more ore less compressing continuously since the long release time doesn't give the signal any chance to recover to normal. So it will probably sound more like the original sound (but quieter, before makeup gain).

what i tend to do with drums (loops) is use quite a long attack to accentuate the initial punch of the drumsounds, then use a short release so that the quiter parts in between drums are not compressed. So after makeupgain is applied, this means that the drumhits are more punchy, and the quieter parts in between get a bit louder, so the whole drumtrack get's "fatter" if you will :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2006-09-28 09:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2006-09-28 09:16 ]</font>
Eric Dahlberg

Post by Eric Dahlberg »

Medway did some great tests some years ago where he compared the VinCo to his 160SL. The results were incredibly close & he sold the 160SL soon after.

As you can imagine, a real 160SL doesn't sound or react like an 1176LN does so it's no surprise that the VinCo doesn't sound or react like the UAD-1 1176LN. Personally, I'm really glad to have a 160SL plug-in to use alongside my UAD-1 1176LN.
Uncle E
JRR Shop
TEL: 949-553-8898
FAX: 949-263-1818
http://www.jrrshop.com
http://www.justroots.com
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

On 2006-10-01 01:47, Eric Dahlberg wrote:
Medway did some great tests some years ago where he compared the VinCo to his 160SL. The results were incredibly close & he sold the 160SL soon after.

As you can imagine, a real 160SL doesn't sound or react like an 1176LN does so it's no surprise that the VinCo doesn't sound or react like the UAD-1 1176LN. Personally, I'm really glad to have a 160SL plug-in to use alongside my UAD-1 1176LN.
I got pretty close with the Vinco to some real 1176 sounds. ATM so close that you hardly can hear a difference.

Find the sounds on my homepage or the kvr thread
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110148

But on the end do we really need an exact copy... ?
I`m just very happy with the Vinco because it has a very nice basic high-quality sound, that you can easily dial in.

The UADs seem more colouring.
I had an UAD/Urei sound demo that was harder to achieve because of the colouring.
Vinco is uncoloured. But then again with an EQ infront it was very easy to achieve the same sound as the Urei.

(Try it out, take an EQ, cut away the bass a little bit and maybe some highs, as second insert take vinco with higher input gain levels. Send some sound through it. )

Vinco - uncoloured high end compression
UAD - more coloured higher-end compression

The Vinco captured the input gain perfectly... This can really boost the levels and alter the sound in a nice transparent way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hifiboom on 2006-10-01 05:27 ]</font>