Rac / Keyboards / Hardware synths.

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ed

Post by Ed »

What the hardware synths do you use in additional to Scope? Perhaps it's in rac mode or in original keyboard type. What is your favorite? Nord Lead, Rhodes, Roland, B-Station etc. or anything else?
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I use the small Roland SH32, for it's portability, and it also is a midi controller.

Sound is good..humm, OK... I prefer any cw synth, this sh32 is approximatly like the bluesynth. But it has a very nice and cool programmable arpegiator which can send midi to any softsynth or cw synth.

Was really worth the 200€ brand new :smile:

I also use a Roland SP606 where i can sample bunch of drumkits, specialy i sampled 64 different KickME, usefull :smile: Ths SP606 is the audio/midi interface for my laptop. Provide an asio driver with a latency of ~7ms and a WDM which can both be used at the same times. Usefull when gigging live, as i can have to audio app running.

And i use a Yamaha RM1X, but not really the synth part, but the sequencer part, THIS is totaly cool to drive cw synths, softsynth, my sp606 sampler, the sh32, a complete song for that matter! I love this sequencer :smile: Really fast and precise timing

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2005-05-07 05:31 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I love KORG trade in general, almost anything from KORG sounds well to me. I first had a KORG M1, but when travelling I had to sell it. Then I've got a KORG X5 with General MIDI. It's a very good little, light keyboard with 5 octaves, enogh to me.

I have to say I have had a real good time with little machine... and I am very gratefull to it already. You may think its sounds are old, baahhh, rubish, they are as useful as ever. I use them mixed with my other VST and SCOPE synth, of course, I have to record it to audio track, but the sound is great with 32 bits.

Here you have:

This is the general idea out there, about the X5:

Appearances aside, the X5 represents great value for money, bringing professional industry standard Korg sounds to the lower budget market, and the X5 is probably the most portable 5-octave keyboard there is. I would also agree that the X5 is a great desktop workstation for the computer-based studio musician. :smile:
hubird

Post by hubird »

a synth with GM can't be mine... :smile:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Why? Is that uncompatible with a Mac? :lol: The sound is the most important factor, isnt' it?
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
hubird

Post by hubird »

hehe :grin:
but, no, for me the most important factor is the character of the sound...
Try to imagine how a GM Absynth would sound...it'd be a contradictio in terminis :grin:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well i like to augment my SCOPE sound with these babies:

Roland JD-990 (with Vintage Expansion)
Roland Jupiter-4 Compuphonic
Roland SH-09 (my first synth... aahhh)
Kurzweil PC88 (mainly for the 88 keys, but nice piano sound too)
Kurzweil ExpressionMate (hey you can't do without a ribbon controller)
Roland CR-78 (best beatbox ever)
Roland R-8M (more for quick writing these days, then replacing with samples, although the human feel hihats are still handy)
Simmons Clap Trap
Roland PAD-5 HandyPad (no sounds but it is quite, well, handy)

Roland RE-501 (you can't beat tape delay of this calibre)
Roland DC-50 Digital Chorus (doesn't seem very digital to me)
Line 6 Pod XT Pro
Various Boss pedals inclusing the very useable Dimension C and T-Wah.

Various circuit bent childrens electronic toys.

Hhmm... seems i like lots of Roland stuff. Don't like any of their post-JD stuff, the V-Synth might be OK, but the JP-8000 wasn't quite there for me.

Korg and Yamaha don't seem to have really found a home with me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2006-01-03 16:39 ]</font>
wayne

Post by wayne »

Similar to Mr A, I like to use lotsa things with the scope thing.

Minimax&Flexor bass with Fender bass & Mirafone tuba does it for me :grin:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

On 2005-05-10 09:12, Mr Arkadin wrote:
Well i like to augment my SCOPE sound with these babies:

Roland JD-990 (with Vintage Expansion)
Roland SH-09 (my first synth... aahhh)
Kurzweil PC88 (mainly for the 88 keys, but nice piano sound too)
Kurzweil ExpressionMate (hey you can't do without a ribbon controller)
Roland CR-78 (best beatbox ever)
Roland R-8M (more for quick writing these days, then replacing with samples, although the human feel hihats are still handy)
Simmons Clap Trap
Roland PAD-5 HandyPad (no sounds but it is quite, well, handy)

Roland RE-501 (you can't beat tape delay of this calibre)
Roland DC-50 Digital Chorus (doesn't seem very digital to me)
Boss SE-70 Multi Effects
Line 6 Pod XT Pro
Various Boss pedals inclusing the very useable Dimension C and T-Wah.

Various circuit bent childrens electronic toys.

Less usage but still nice:
Roland JD-800
Moog Rogue
OSCar (i tend to use impOSCar these days)
Roland MC-202
Roland CR-80 (more for live use really)

Hhmm... seems i like lots of Roland stuff. Don't like any of their post-JD stuff, the V-Synth might be OK, but the JP-8000 wasn't quite their.

Korg and Yamaha don't seem to have really found a home with me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2005-05-10 09:38 ]</font>
Wow man... what an humiliation to my poor X5! ... :lol: ...
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Wow man... what an humiliation to my poor X5!
Yeah, but while i'm messing about with that lot you've probably recorded an album worth of tracks!

Mr A

PS. i'm a complete gear whore/hoarder - i never sell anything. The only thing i ever sold was a Roland D-10 which i only bought anyway as a keyboard for live use - then i ended up playing guitar/bass so it became redundant before i even played it (didn't sound that good anyway).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2005-05-11 04:45 ]</font>
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Studio Electronics SE1
Roland Juno106
Moog Prodigy
Hohner Pianet
Waldorf Microwave XT
Clavia Nord Rack2
Jomox Airbase99
Ensoniq ASR10
Ibanez TimeMachine Analog Delay
valis

Post by valis »

Yamaha Fs1r
Access Virus
Roland JD-800
Novation Basstation (original key version)
Lima

Post by Lima »

I've got a KORG Z1 and I'm very happy. Wonderfull guitars, e-pianos, brass organ and strings *** PHISICAL *** emulation, nice and powerfull subctractive sinthesis and a marvellous arpeggiator :smile:
hubird

Post by hubird »

Korg 707, no sound, only midi :grin:
Joxer the Mighty

Post by Joxer the Mighty »

Nord G2
Studio Electronics Omega 2
Noah EX
And my latest acquisition: Spectralis

I love each one of my babies, but if I had to get rid of all but one, I'd keep the Omega. It sounds so damned goooooood! I must say though that I've only spent a few hours with the Spectralis and the more I dig in, the more impressed I become.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

I'm jealous :razz:
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

Keys :

Korg DW-8000 - very good for some sounds, it's a hybrid analog digital. Not remotely as good as a Prophet or CS, but so much cheaper and easier to maintain.

Korg M1 - nice pads and breathy digital sounds, lively synth sounds.

Korg MS2000 - lots of dials on this one, but they dont make up for the fact the sound is really not all there. makes a few unique sounds.

Korg Trinity Pro X - works great live as my main controller, has very good ROM samples. It's not just the features it has, it's how those features work together, and this keyboard is fun to play. Has an especially good piano and strings.

Korg Triton LE - scaled down version of Trinity, but has RAM sample playback and improved filters.

Roland RS-09 String Machine - very rich sound

Roland SH-101 (with MIDI-CV convertor) - nudge nudge wink wink say no more. The fattest of the fat.

MIDI Controllers - Evolution MK-225c, Oxygen 61 key

Rack :

Noah EX - you can never have enough DSPs

EMU Vintage Keys - very good mellotron sounds, passable Yamaha CP type sound

TC Helicon Quintet - vocal harmoniser

You can probably tell I like Korg, the Trinity is my favorite to play, the action is really nice and you can get a realistic impression of piano, strings, acoustic guitar, banjo, you name it.

For studio work, the SH-101 is the new fave, now that I have a MIDI-CV for it, no other instrument I have can touch it in terms of thickness. It never gets lost in a mix. Bass saturation from hell.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

so far, I only have a Nord Rack 2, which is very nice. Very easy to program and good sounds. It has no effects, but I just route it trough SFP and apply fx there.

As soon as I have some money again, I'd like one or two more hardware synths. Something like a Waldorf Microwave XT, and perhaps one true analog synth, like a Roland Juno 60 or maybe an SH 101
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Not much to offer here, I have a CS1x that is used to steer the native and cwa synths, only.
Most I use software synths.

Once I had a Roland JD-800 and kick myself my bottom each day that I´ve sold it, would be a great midi controller now.

An old and huge Yamaha Organ holds the CS1x on his top. Sometimes I open the back of the Organ to watch the old electronic circuit blocks and inhale this unique smell from the old times.

Also I have a broken Korg Poly Six collecting dust in a corner.

That´s all :roll:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Oberhein MC3000 Master Controller
Oberheim XPander

Oberheim controller runs the XPander, and Scope. I layer the two together on some presets. Whatever extra color I need to add Scope has got it.