Rode NTK/Focusrite Voicemaster Pro

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

emzee

Post by emzee »

Continuing on from "Vocal Recording" thread.........

Just need some reassurance or criticism on this combo for vocals. (or other recommended combos) I'm probably a few weeks off buying still. I might post in the buy/sell section for used pre's also.

Then there is the Timeworks Sharc One.....is it wiser to get a basic pre and use the software for features......or get the lot in one box....eg Voicemaster Pro? I expect to use this gear for several albums worth of original material (sold at gigs hopefully). Any opinions............?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-09-22 04:39 ]</font>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I don't know the focusrite, but i know the NTK, it is really a top grade mic, really nice sound, vocal especially...Lotsa dynamics.
emzee

Post by emzee »

Thanks for that.....NTK ..I think I'll really like this mic...also these are a great price in Australia when on special coz they're made here.

What pre have you seen used with these.....that you like the sound of....and what did it cost....? Dehuszar felt they need a clean solid state pre (at least in my price range) Obviously they'll sound better with a high end pre, but I still need to eat....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-09-22 04:44 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-09-22 04:46 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

I use my NTK just in connection with the mic inputs of my small Mackie Micro Series 1202 mic/line mixer...works great.
But I'm the type of guy who thinks what you do with the sound is of more influence to the end result than looking for the highest technical quality level :smile:
AndreD

Post by AndreD »

SPL Nugget sounds good as rode to my ears...
emzee

Post by emzee »

Bless ya hubird........ sometimes I forget what I'm actually trying to achieve....an emotional message and mood.

Maybe I should just buy/layby the NTK for now....they're on special till the end of the month, I think.

Have you ever recorded using a dedicated pre and compared it to the sound you're presently getting? More comments welcome and wanted...............
emzee

Post by emzee »

Thanks Andre........The SPL Nugget retails about $890AUS here. Rode are releasing a new mic called a K2 which is a lower noise, improved version of the NTK.

I can get an NTK on special for about $750 Aus for a few more weeks. The Studio Projects C1 retails for $500Aus. An SM-58 retails for nearly $500Aus. Products usually sell for recommended retail here because the sales volume is low relative to US/Europe.

So an Australian made Rode mic appears the best option, but an imported pre will cost me an arm and a leg.......such is life.
AndreD

Post by AndreD »

On 2003-09-22 09:07, Mikka wrote:
Thanks Andre........The SPL Nugget retails about $890AUS here.
uups?!
thats expensive!
the price here is 279.- EUR...
but the rode will be a good choice anyway!

best, andre
emzee

Post by emzee »

Yeah.....I guess the people in the middle make their cut........and our market is very small, so the shops don't turnover much stock relative to overseas.

There are some truly great Australian pre amps, equalisers, compressors....check out http://www.jlmaudio.com ....but the price and quality are out of my league....this is serious hi-end studio gear, not singer/songwriter home studio....more comments wanted on preamps...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-09-22 10:49 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-09-22 10:53 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

On 2003-09-22 08:22, Mikka wrote:
...Have you ever recorded using a dedicated pre and compared it to the sound you're presently getting? More comments welcome and wanted...............
Alas Mikka, no I didn't.
But if I'm right someone here spoke about a good Mackie pre amp, so it's quite possible my mixer's mic inputs are relatively good.
I just can say that I was very satisfied with some rather critical recordings made in my living room.
I had to imitate the sound you get when you're creeping through grass with leaves and suchlike.
I just moved my hands softly through a bundle of flowers, fern leaves etc., which I had in a vase.
It was crazy to hear it back after recording it!
Sooo subtle, sooo precise!
The Mackie mixer is cheaper than lotsa pre amps, and I have place for 4 NTK's, hehe :smile:
good luck with your choices!
emzee

Post by emzee »

Hey thanks for that honesty....I also read good comments on the Mackie pre.

I'm looking for a full, attention demanding, front and centre vocal sound. Now I know that singing/recording/mastering skill has a big influence.....and I need a lot more of that...but if I can put a good sound in.....I won't have to do too much. Worked for Elvis......who IS still alive, by the way....

Plus, let's be honest.....I'm a pedantic
f*%^@er
jabney

Post by jabney »

You are making Australian music (or at least music from Australia) so why not use an Australian mic' such as the Rode? Start with local ingredients then add the imports later.

I presume you already have the Creamware sfp environment, so maybe look at putting all the pre budget toward the pre itself or perhaps a pre with EQ only (and then avoid using the EQ when you are recording).

I really like the Peavey VMP-2 and the Great River MP2NV (a Neve 1073-alike) but they're not inexpensive. If the Really Nice Compressor (RNC) is any indication, I would give the new Really Nice Preamp a look. Haven;t heard one myself, but the reviews have been pretty good and the price is not bad.

Or buy a little mixer with good sounding pre's like the Crest X-Rack series (great bang for the buck, but not cheap), one of the Allen & Heaths, or (to save money) a clean, used pre-VLZ Mackie 1202 or 1604.
Michu

Post by Michu »

hi, i have NT1000 and i use it with small Midiman Audiobuddy pre. it is surprisingly clean and nice for the price, i think it is at least on par with Mackie channel pre...

on a sidenote, i am not sure about NTK, but NT1000 is one bright bugger.
i had great luck with it for instruments or bright, airy vocals, but it didn't work that well on stuff that demanded darker, warmer sound... but polish pronounciation is extremaly sibilant and my recording skillz ain't that great too... :wink:
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I have the nt1000 also, and you're rigth about sibilance.

I think the preamp can affect this though, when i plug it in a solid state preamp, it's pretty brigth, but in a tube preamp, this behavior is attenuated.

On the contrary, the NTK, which is a tube mic, sounds better in a solidstate preamp.

I would not plug the ntk in a tube amp, that would be double the tube! :smile: Also adding some more noise.
emzee

Post by emzee »

Thanks for all your comments.....they all help me sort through the chaff.

My present job runs out shortly so I'll have to stop spending after the mic/pre. Once I've got that, (and a great chair....good suggestion Spirit) I'm set for a while.

I'm suspect that I'll be happy with anything sensible.......I must like window shopping I think.....

So thanks for all the great comments, they really help.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-09-23 04:34 ]</font>
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

sorry coming late,

just to tell at tfPro.com you may find very good pre/comp at factory prices (and they're helpfull on phone) :wink:
emzee

Post by emzee »

Hey thanks for that tip......are you using one of these? I had a look and they seem very impressive.....and they ship worldwide...

http://www.tfpro.com

check it out, anybody who is interested. They've got my attention.....onya zezappa.
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

tfpro remains from the old reputable Joemeek's name.
I'm not an expert and just learning about recording/mixing and due to low budget I could not find better than 1 P3 and 1 P3+JM47(for stereo though not coupled). P3 is a 3 in 1 box, a PreAmp, an optical compressor and a good 3 band graphic. It has an insert (i.e. to compress over a reverb/fx) and a mix IN bypassing the Pre but both working. I/O's balanced and/or not without losing out gain.
They're not absolutely noiseless but far better than any budget mixer Pre. I wish I could get the P2... or the P8, obviously.
My basses now sound as never before and with the JM47, yes... 47 :smile:
Sometimes still softsynths and samples I record through them with good results.

TL Audio fatman (= HHB Radius) series or above also deserves a look but these are valve unities.

Presonus, FMR, Drawmer, DBX (provocal or 286A), and Focusrite too are all the kind of gear that nobody can go wrong with them, I think.

Choose well