AMD and INTEL processors, amazing!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

The run is going on... Intel is going to get a 5.5GHz in the streets by the end of the year and AMD will reply with an incredible 6.2GHz... :smile:

This has been told to me by a computer fanatic man, who's related to computer aviation and cos they have always the latest technology, news "flyes" to them...

Isn´t it absolutely amazing?
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
at0m

Post by at0m »

Looking forward to those! Har har :grin:

Afaik, a Boeing 757 runs on a processor comparable to a 386, and the ARINC 429 communication busses, which transport almost all digital data, run at 12.5 or 100kbps. On top of those slow speeds, there's often time delays (3-9sec!) which work as smoothers/error filters. These delays remove glitches (in-accuracies) in measured data, for example of engine parameters and aircraft attitude data.

I'm work on cargo planes and IMO these fast cpu's will be used for Passenger Entertainment Systems rather than for aircraft operational stuff...
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Do the displays have nice 32-bit alpha-blended GUI's? :wink:

peace
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Creamware platform is being trhetened for the first time in a serious way, if this much powerful machines come to be true by the end of the year. Then, native processing WILL be stronger than sharks...
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Atomic's example shows that the speed is not always the main factor. What about the sound? Sharcs are in danger but Pulsar's high qualty sound is not. Or at least should not be afraid of GHz's :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-09-02 03:38 ]</font>
petal

Post by petal »

I remember reading an article, on http://www.tomshardware.com/ I think, about "how the computer would evolve" over the next few years and Nestor, we are not going to see such fast CPU's by the end of this year, maybe by the end of next year, but properbly first in 2005 - sorry to disappoint you..... :wink:

Thomas :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Petal on 2003-09-02 05:09 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

Nestor, even if I appear boring because I've repeated this numerous times:
That's just two times the processing power of current top machines.
To optimize a software by that factor is fairly easy, any advanced processing software applies, BUT it takes time. And due to market pressure nobody seems to take this time anymore.

I have a fair amount of programming experience with machines running around the 30 MEGA-Hertz range, a little way back in time obviously. The performance of current machines is simply too slow compared with the oldies - we're talking about a difference in clockrate of 50 to 100 times here and more than 500 the memory amount.

It's certainly not the CPU design to blame because you'll find this on a PowerPC as well as on Pentium.
What's left is software. There's the source for real performance increase, but of course people prefer to have something 'countable' to compare.
Btw: do you know how many cycles heat management steals from your current CPU :wink:

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2003-09-02 21:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2003-09-04 06:12 ]</font>
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

On 2003-09-02 02:26, Nestor wrote:
Creamware platform is being trhetened for the first time in a serious way, if this much powerful machines come to be true by the end of the year. Then, native processing WILL be stronger than sharks...
GHz is not the only thing to look. I'm pretty sure Intel's and AMD's hertzes are more of marketing bullshit than anything real in the sense of pure computing power.
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

The real limiting factor is the bus speed(s), particularly the Front Side Bus (RAM access) and of course the PCI bus.

You can have a 10,000 GHz processor, but it won't make your computer go 10,000 faster than a 1 GHz one!

You may as well stick an F1 engine in a Mini's chassis. :wink:

Let's hope that Intel make a better job of their latest processor(s) than the sow's ear which was the P4...

Royston