Masterverb Test Thread

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Masterverb Test Thread

Post by garyb »

13-15 masterverbs is a very good result.
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

Gigabyte p35 ds3r Q9550 CPU@3600mhz, 4gb corsair ram XP32

2xScope 14dsp 2nd gen

Asus 6770 passive graphics

12 MVs, fail at number 13. DPC latency is at 450µs just before it crashes ;) usually I have constant 3µs dpc latency (without scope being open)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's the new i7 3770 stock 3.4 GHz./16GB RAM.
I didn't care about adding extra MV Pros. After 24 the Optimize screen showed up so I stopped.
It seems as though each DSP takes 2 x of them as they are each 1500-1600 per instance.
It seems as thoug the MSI Z77A GD64 is mature, and ready for audio.
For 6 months they worked out little bugs but I waited for 4 BIOS updates and am happy with the last one. THe Supemicro is noisy at 1u but runs really cool, much coller then the XITE-1 does, and that sucker is stable as the sunrise, so I am good for 4 more years, and have the i7 X58 as a spare.
I guess it's good I don't know, but I used the MV Pros and 48k. I would never ruin a mic with all of these tail makers though.
Untitled.png
dawman

Post by dawman »

Same test with the 5.1s which I prefer using as I can get a nice sound and use the smallest amount of space and decay, just so I sound as if I am in s room big enough for an Acoustic Piano.
Untitled.png
braincell

Post by braincell »

MSI AZ77A-G43 Motherboard
i7 Ivy Bridge 3.4 gigahertz 8 mb cache
32 Gigabytes RAM Crucial Ballistics 1600
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 650 ti (2 gigs)
Windows 8

Pulsar II + Luna II (9 Sharc DSP chips 1 Zlink)

I got 12 Masterverbs going no with problem. DSP limit hit on 13 which put the meter up to the end. I noticed some of you had other modules hooked up but this was just with the reverbs only.

ULLI was on the fastest setting.

I'm happy with the results but this was not a real world test as Cubase was not running etc.. I'm waiting for Cubase 7 to arrive next week before I install that and do a clean Cubase install.

This new computer might actually be the first time my cards are trouble free :).
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

Very good for now however.
Thanks for the quick response.
This mainboard is promising (considering the socket 1155 mainboards PCI problems tried by someone in the past).

Let's see the real use with Cubase, that I use myself.
I'm still at Cubase 4, but considering the update to C7 when it has proved to be stable
and I've digested the new GUI of mixer channels (I miss the colours and the buttons beside the fader of previous versions!!)

But, considering that Cubase 7 is still at the beginning, and not rock solid,
are you sure you don't want to try the now stable Cubase 6.5 (and wait two weeks more)
for a more trustful testing?
I don't think installing Cubase 6 now would ruin your OS...
Make a ghost copy of your Windows, so you can restart from it when you get Cubase 7 ;)
braincell

Post by braincell »

I will be using photos in the mixer and I love the new search feature. Those large projects are cumbersome. I probably won't be using much compression etc because I think it screws with the sound quality.

I had a problem after installing Cubase 6.5 because of the dreaded missing presets. I then installed windows again and I will wait for the DVD of Cubase 7. I have an image but I am still tweaking Windows. It is hard to get those old devices installed in Windows 8 but I did do it such as the nord modular rack.
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

you have to backup your older Cubase presets folder then (I keep always one), otherwise you will have problems with Cubase 7 too once you will load your projects.
this if I understood right the problem you experienced.

man, this MSI mobo has a VGA onboard too!
what a waste of space...
and looking on MSI website I didn't find any other mainboard of this series with 3 PCi slots
(it's design is similar to my actual DFI board).
and some with only 2 PCI are missing some other features (like 4 SATA ports).

they could have put a FW port, or a second LAN port, or 2 more SATA ports instead.
braincell

Post by braincell »

The DVD is a clean install as I understand it, even with the upgrade. I could be wrong though.
dawman

Post by dawman »

OK, this is the MasterVerb X test @44.1k on the XITE-1.

Using the i7 3770S CPU
MSI Z77A-GD65
16GBs 1.3v Samsung Low Profile 1600MHz RAM
Vertex 4 x 3 SSDs latest firmware, 128GB

Load and use 30 x MVrb Xs'.
On the 31st Verb I get a DSP warning.
To me the test ends when anything goes wrong.
I would see the DSP warning everytime I tried to connect another MVerb.

Having said that, I loaded another 44 of these and noticed the DSP Meter
never changed, so to me the test, once you hit DSP warning is over.
Odd no matter how many Verbs I loaded,
not once did the PCI overflow ever show.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (95.56 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

SuperMicro X8DAI w/ two 5570 2.93mhz (quad core) processors, 24gb RAM, ATI 3870 Video Card (three Scope 15 DSP cards).

A VERY disappointing 9 Master Verbs. I don't know why this board was spoken so highly of here........
garyb

Post by garyb »

nine isn't that bad...
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

I don't know, my “lesser” AMD board got 13. Using this Intel board I recognize that it is a serious computer. It certainly is stable so I’m going to use it for a while and see how it goes. One nice thing I noticed, the crackles that used to show up in my favorite VST plugin (WOK Cromina) every now and then are noticeably not there anymore. The music I make is generally rather simple so this may be just fine. In fact, if it never freezes or bluescreens on me then it may be a better setup for me. Maybe an honest stable 9 is better than a sometimes sketchy 13.
Last edited by 53E7 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

anyday.

if you're not getting pci overload messages in all but your most extreme projects, it's perfect.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

@dawman
not valid for xite vibes
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Ok, here's my first try.

AMD Athlon FX8120 8-core CPU
ASUS M5A78L LE motherboard
8GB DDR3 (2x4GB)
Windows XP 32-bit

1xLuna3 card - 3DSP
2xPulsar SRBs - 4DSP (they might be Pulsar 2 as Scope identifies them as that in the DSP monitor window)

I managed to load in 6 Masterverbs, and then I ran out of PCI bandwidth on the 7th. I connected them to the standard 1632 mixer that Scope loads by default...not that I know if that would have any bearing on the results.

I suppose it's time to start tweaking the system! Time to dig into the threads here to make things better, if I can!

I was intending on this setup being used for synthesis, so if processes are spread across the cards that's going to impact performance in that sense....
garyb

Post by garyb »

the 4 dsp srbs are Pulsar1 age. that isn't a great result, but it's about right for a computer with two 4 dsp cards.

there isn't much you can do to tweek this result. it's a matter of the actual hardware design of the motherboard.
dawman

Post by dawman »

What tweak are you doing to get 8GBs in a 32bit OS...?
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Ah, shame. I think we were expecting something good from this board, or at least comparatively. Oh well.

I was going to try the ASUS P4PE that I'd received, but for some reason I can't even install Windows XP on it! Maybe something's broken.

dawman, sorry - it's just 8GB installed in the motherboard, so XP only sees the usual ~3.5.

Time to start looking for used server boards. As long as they have PCI and not PCI-X.

How much of a bearing does the STDM cable have? I have one linking the three.
garyb

Post by garyb »

remove the excess ram. windows can only keep track of 4gb. the rest can act like a black hole that causes strange disasters.