Advantages of using Pulsar II/XTC as opposed to just recordi

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ad Infinitum

Post by Ad Infinitum »

Would the MOTU 828 be a good IO to use with OASYS and Logic? How would you configure it so that you can hear OASYS? Sorry for these questions, but it
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2001-12-20 11:25, subhuman wrote:
USB2.0 is a whole new thing, around the same amount of bandwidth as FireWire...
Isn't it that bandwidth that causes PCI probs?
You might be right if, like on my Acorp 6A815EPD, USB2 is on another PCI *bus* than the PCI slots and USB1 controller :cool:
Ad Infinitum

Post by Ad Infinitum »

Then, how do I hear the OASYS if is hooked up to a MOTU 828? Do I hook it via lightpipe and monitor parallel to Logic. How then does OASYS get into a Logic Arrangement for mixdown? I'm a little confused.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Both Oasys and Creamware cards have their own outputs and quite a few of them.

(except the "pure Creamware XTC" boards without I/O which I would never sell to anyone without another Creamware card, they are much better suited as DSP expanders)
Ad Infinitum

Post by Ad Infinitum »

OASYS has two analog in and outs. I understand that the analogs can be hooked up to a mixer, but how do you hear OASYS in Logic, so that you can mix within Logic. I don't want to have to go to an analog or digital board.

For example, say I have a song with Audio tracks, VST instrument tracks and midi tracks. All can be heard using my EMI USB card - vis the Master bus. How does the OASYS instruments and effects get heard within Logic?

I have an OASYS card on hold at a local store - price is $399. I guess I'll give it a try.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

kimgr

Post by kimgr »

...but I want to have everything run within Logic. I don't want to have other systems running at the same time...
Then your only choice is a Mac with a Protools Mix (+,3).
Add an Emagic System Bridge and you've got the best of both worlds.
But be prepared to spend at least 15.000$...

Kim.
spritex

Post by spritex »

Using Oasys with Logic (or any ASIO sequencer) is actually very simple. Oasys has a 12 channel stereo mixer (with sends and stuff, of course). Any of the channels can take a stereo stream from Logic mixer. I think there can be 4 separate stereo streams or 8 mono.

That way you can route VST instruments, audio tracks, whatever into the Oasys mixer and process them further there with Oasys effects. You can simultaneously have Oasys synths on other Oasys mixer channels.

Oasys adds 2x16 MIDI channels that are used to control the Oasys synths, FX and mixer from Logic.

You can record everything back into Logic internally. That is, audio tracks, VST instruments and effects that are streamed into Oasys and everything that the Oasys generates - simultaneously. This is done with a feature in Oasys that routes the outputs of the Oasys mixer into the Analog inputs (without external connections and 100% digital sound quality).

About latency. The Oasys ASIO driver is fine. I can easily get 6ms latency without glitches - perhaps even 3ms. This latency is of course only with stuff streamed from Logic, just as with any good ASIO soundcard - playing the Oasys synths has practically zero latency.

If you can still find the card for $499 think no more, just buy it. It is an unbelievable deal.