Flexor II Module Expectations

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

What I would like to get is a phase distortion oscillator in the spirit of the CASIO CZ series 80s synthesizer.

http://www.cosmosynthesizer.de/

This would be a PWM for oscillators running also non rectangular waveforms:
- from sawtooth to inverted sawtooth on a triangle waveform
- from smoothed sawtooth to inverted smoothed sawtooth for sine waveform
- I let you imagine what could be achieved with other waveform ...

Cheerzzz
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Red, maybe would it be possible to have just one simple OSC & one LFO with multiple shape outs like a multi-square with 3 square shapes:- square, sub1 & sub2. I know it's possible to do this aleady using multiple modules, but having those 3 octaves of square wave spewing out of one module would be killer :smile:

I know you said combined modules are off the table, but a couple of true stereo filters would be a very welcome addition.

About the text entries. I suppose the main parameters are enough. I just find it annoying that the stock CW OSCs for example, don't allow accurate setting of say, fine tune values from the module itself.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I take it that OSCs with integrated additive synthesis aren't possible?
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

On 2006-09-02 04:23, ReD_MuZe wrote:
j9k made a quite handy 8 X 8 mixer matrix with bipolar knobs but it eats some DSP, I wonder if DSP load could be reduced ... or a 4 X 4, 6 X 6 made.
you got it!
how about:-
2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x16
3x4, 3x6, 3x8, 3x16
4x4, 4x6, 4x8, 4x16 versions etc? Too much?
decimator

Post by decimator »

Reply in " as it comes " mode :lol:

I think it would be an overkill of matrix ... 4 X 4 and 8 X 8 should cover most needs : you can plug 2 ins and have 8 possible mix in a 8 X 8 matrix.

For additive synthesis, I think you could make a one block 8 sine osc partial with modulation on each partial ratio : gain of space + the modulation on partial that would make it more interesting.
I loaded 8 individually ( what a drag ! ) and it doesn't eat much DSP at all.

Otherwise :

Sorry for the Gfx button, I missed some : well everywhere where there's a possible pattern sweeping ( hyper controller / displacer / hyper note seq / hyper gate )

The sample delay mod : yes it crackles BUT it depends at what speed it's swept and in certain condition it's unheard ... I think the benefits far outweight the negative so please ( or should I do the Shrek 2 cat ? :wink: )

The Track & Hold : well if it's a LFO, during one stage it goes through then on next it's sample and hold till next stage where it goes through again ... of course with a pulse : no interest ! :razz:

For the bi-phase or tri-phase LFO it's in fact the already existing bi-phase with more controls, it crackles when hand modulated as well but depending on conditions it's unnoticeable.

The Freq multiply mod is just the Freq multiply module with mod ( not vital but )

As for the CV / audio mixer thanks for doing it ! I hope it comes in 4 and 8 inputs flavors ! I was thinking further : it could have individual outputs as well of the mix output like a LFO ( In 1 ) modulated by an amount of another LFO then output indivually ( Out 1 )

I understand that multipurpose module are not DSP friendly however when you want to change the wiring, you have to rename the patch and start new presets in a multipurpose you have more room, well maybe for next card ... :wink:

Comb was mentioned so I wonder if you have plans to make a kind of Phil concept with multicomb down to sample with feedback ( like Absynth ) and big messing with delays like you did at Orbitone or like the Ohmforce crew did with their early effects ?

Anyway thanks for all that has been done / granted ! :cool:

Seems promising ...
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

A flux-capacitor :lol:
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

New sampler-modules would be great
cant promise anything but im working on it...
What I would like to get is a phase distortion oscillator in the spirit of the CASIO CZ series 80s synthesizer.
will do some research
I take it that OSCs with integrated additive synthesis aren't possible?
you take wrong :wink:
... you got it!
(actualy it SAVES dsp in this case!)
how about:-
2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x16
3x4, 3x6, 3x8, 3x16
4x4, 4x6, 4x8, 4x16 versions etc? Too much?
*cought*yes*cough*
Sorry for the Gfx button, I missed some : well everywhere where there's a possible pattern sweeping ( hyper controller / displacer / hyper note seq / hyper gate )
as of flexor1.5 wherever there is controllable gfx and animation you can hide it.
The sample delay mod : yes it crackles BUT it depends at what speed it's swept and in certain condition it's unheard ... I think the benefits far outweight the negative so please ( or should I do the Shrek 2 cat ? )
this is only true for the dsp delays (which are max 41 ms. the pc delays crackle like hell...
The Track & Hold : well if it's a LFO, during one stage it goes through then on next it's sample and hold till next stage where it goes through again ... of course with a pulse : no interest !
so if its just an LFO with a SnH, its just more module combining....
For the bi-phase or tri-phase LFO it's in fact the already existing bi-phase with more controls, it crackles when hand modulated as well but depending on conditions it's unnoticeable.
you can use NBL phase mod with sine shapers.
The Freq multiply mod is just the Freq multiply module with mod ( not vital but )
frequency multiplication is basicaly transposition. the pitch modulation modules are just that. (check pitch modulation C)_
Comb was mentioned so I wonder if you have plans to make a kind of Phil concept with multicomb down to sample with feedback ( like Absynth ) and big messing with delays like you did at Orbitone or like the Ohmforce crew did with their early effects ?
im not 100% sure what you mean, but flexor2 will have several comb filters. and much more new filters of new type.
A flux-capacitor
well i built one but now im stuck on a loop where i go back to the day befor i built it and have to start over, and over.... help!
:wink:
decimator

Post by decimator »

Well for the sample delay if you modulate fast, it will crackle like hell but not on a small range of samples and low speed modulation ( in the Hz or so range ) : say if you mix 1 : 1 a sample delay inverted waveform ( non sine ) with itself you start with nothing ( total cancellation ) at 0 then when you rise slowly you have a new waveform forming.

Works as well with mixing a non inverted waveform, also useful in FM for new timbres and certainly other uses.
I meant a device like Phil or Grainmiller with many things that can be done with delays and more a little like Warp 69 CD -100 or Ohmforce early FX with the Adern Touch.
Thinking again of the Absynth FX unit, without it Absynth is not that exciting :wink:

I hope there are some multi-stage envelope of some sort scheduled for Flexor 2 ?

HUROLURA, there are Cosmo oscillators in Vaz Modular though I have no idea how much they are faithful to the original but " knowing " the developper I guess they are relatively close.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: decimator on 2006-09-04 03:37 ]</font>
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

On 2006-09-02 15:29, Shroomz wrote:
A flux-capacitor :lol:
Yes, yes, yes, please can we have a flux capacitor! We'd need at least a one point twenty-one jigowatts one! :smile:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

With such a device you could send your Flexor2 modular madness back in time to the days of Modular I, although there might be some lag :smile:

A modular version of 'kick me' would ROCK !!
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

A flux-capacitor really is a must.

You could load JBs Quantum-Wave and then the flux-capacitor as insert, and DSP Load jumps back to the level before loading the synth.

because the synth runs in future...

:smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hifiboom on 2006-09-10 08:21 ]</font>
Leper

Post by Leper »

Flexor's NBL Saw Gate / Sync oscillators with added pitch correction in higher registers (remember the old pitchmodifier hack to get the pitches to sound right).

I have a few other module ideas that I'll send you modular patch examples for later, red.
Witek Radomski (freakmod)
Innovation is my Inspiration!
Music @ http://www.freakmod.ca
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

I would like to see a randomizer option for the hyper note-, control- and gate sequencer modules (within a specified range).
A killer module would be a poly gate seq with mmmh...8 or so outs, for drum pattern programming (maybe a dsp killer too, I know)
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Granular displacer: tempo sync please
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

On 2006-09-14 01:23, roy thinnes wrote:
Granular displacer: tempo sync please

The Ramp input is that exactly, the tightest sync available.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

sorry, I meant: adjusting delaytimes like in the tempo-delay module (click&drag)
at0m

Post by at0m »

Roy, do you mean BPM of the ramp module? Cos that can easily be MIDI controlled... A crossfade between an upper and lower limit BPM of 2 MIDI Clock modules, then fed to Ramp's freq. input and MIDI resolution can be more precise. For ultimate tighness, a ramp can be recorded then time-stretched (automatically?) inside the sequencer as the BPM changes there.
Or did I not understand your request very well?
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

mmmh, I thought of something like that
(just for quick editing the delaytime because text entries don't work and editing graphically isn't exact enough)
scary808

Post by scary808 »

On 2006-09-14 12:09, roy thinnes wrote:
mmmh, I thought of something like that
(just for quick editing the delaytime because text entries don't work and editing graphically isn't exact enough)
Great idea! It would have to be scalable to a very high resolution though(up to 1/256 notes) to be effective.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Ah, now I get it :grin: Great idea IMO!
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio