INVITATION FOR THE FIRST "FIVE" OF YOU!

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

On 2002-03-05 06:33, kensuguro wrote:
My guess was:
----------------
Nestor bass+algo drums+my keys+Maket melody
Paul's chords ties all of them together

Everyone does a part for every bass part, or a longer loop if perferred

All wav files go to Valium

Valium creates cubase or some sort of project file, deciding which part comes in when, or slicing and chopping as he likes

File goes to Maket where he adds the final melody line and other necassary back tracks. (like a second guitar part that soars with the lead?)

project file comes to me, where I mix down to a 2 mix. And then I send that through mastering.

Finish -------------
So actually, it might be more logical if the chords came to me, so I can lay down synth/key parts. Also, bass+drums+keys seems a little vacant so why not just have Paul lay down guitar parts as he does the chords? I mean, Paul JUST laying down chords is kind of awkward. :lol:

Or, we could also go with a loong chord progression, with alternative bass/chord relationships (so 1 bass loop could have several different patterns of chords.. a mind bender, always). So Paul lays out the chord progression for the entire song. And then, when the chords+bass+drums is layed out by Valium, everyone starts throwing things into it, and then Valium organizes, ships to Maket, and then to me. That could also work.

Oh yeah, but I'll have to wait 'till algo does the drums cuz I need to read the groove to lay down the synth/key parts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-03-05 06:37 ]</font>
This is quite what we had in mind, do you remember? I think that in here we can get the picture. If you need something else, let us know.

If you need for me to do again any given bass part, cos you found it to be out of time, no problem, I can do it for you.

Ken, I'll send you an email for you to dispose.
hubird

Post by hubird »

The following suggested order to build up the song I think is quite logical anyway:
I hope you'll have fun with this, but with the start already the method is - indeed - quite logical, not to say conventional.
I predict :wink: you'll get what you are looking for...instead of breaking the laws.
Why not start with one or another chalanging sample from Mars or Timbuktu?
(what a negative and sour comment eh?)
hubird

Let There Be Music!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Actually, you really do have a good point.. If the process is convetional, what we get will probably be conventional.. But then, we really do need to see if the conventional can be done first.. after all, this is the first experiment. Afterwards, there'e much room to get whacky!!

We broke a tune down to drums, chords, melody, and synth arrange, and mixing. That's only one of the more obvious way (and a good starting point) to break down a tune. Of course there are dozens of other ways, which leads to even more fun experiments. Though we do have to consider the limitations of internet collaboration, there are many more possible ways of doing it. This is a great opertunity to think of such ways. (but maybe when it's time for the next experiment)

Anyway, great point Hubird. Point absolutely taken. :smile:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Hi guys! Please be patient with me for another 10 days. I'm finishing off my Workout gig(26 tunes to go).

I did download Algo's drum tracks and I like them a lot. Lots of room to breathe. I do have a couple of "no-thirds" chords roaming around that bass line so the inspiration is there.

Can't wait to finish and get started! :lol:
Are we listening?..
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

Folks - I have edited Nestor's basslines a bit - I made them wav's and trimmed them so they looped correctly. I used these versions for the drums. Perhaps it would be helpful if I uploaded them to ken's site?

and thanks for the comment on the drums paul; I tried to leave room because I know there are a lot of parts left, but still have the drums be 'there' enough for a solid groove. i hope that i achieved this.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Please upload them! It's going to make my life a lot easier when synchronising my comping.

Jolly good form! :smile:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm so happy to hear you're finally getting there. That makes me feel good, cos makes me feel we can be constructive, learning and having fun together. And... it's incredible, cos we don't know each other personaly.

I AM FEELING A VERY STRONG DESIRE TO GET TO KNOW PERSONALY EACH OF YOU GUYS, WE WOULD PROBABLY BE GOOD FRIENDS FOR LIFE.

Unfortunately we are so very far from each other. But our music will gather us in a single inner hart! :wink:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Valium

Post by Valium »

Well

about getting to know eachother, this would be pretty hard to do. Some sort of PlanetZ meeting would be a hell of a job to get it done, especcialy because of the distance but I think maybe if one is taking a trip or holiday to someone's homecountry it would be great to meet ...

Greetz
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Hey Joel!
Please let me know when those bass .WAVs are up at ken's server. I went there last night and they weren't there.

See ya!
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

i'll put them up by 10:00 EST tonight ken.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

er, Paul :wink:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

the bass samples are up at ken's site :grin:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Who's doing what now so? Please, tell me, I'm anxious to know... :roll:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I'm doing the chords once I'm finished with the TV contract. Deadline Saturday so you don't have to wait very long.
I should have my part done at the beginning of next week.

Can't wait to get something different than the four-on-the-floor constant booming junk I've been doing for the last 3 weeks. It's a living as it ends up being my yearly salary in royalties... :smile:
Are we listening?..
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, first of all, good luck with your job. Hope to hear something about your many trance tunes apart from the one you have already posted here.

Saturday is just arround the corner, so great! :smile:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

how goes it paul? are the drums OK? and are those bassline edits useful?

No hurry, just curious . . .
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

What's the current situation? Updates, Paul? (no hurry tho :smile: )
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Just finished a new composition.
I am moving on to our project now. :smile:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I need help. Since I've been busy with the TV stuff I have fallen behind with my other clients. Algo, could you assemble your drum parts into one track(or 2, drum and percussion) so I can just drop them into my sequencer and do my parts? pleeeeeeeease?
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

purdy please?