LUNA 2 and ASUS A7N8X ???

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

Hi everbody.

Is anyone running a Luna 2/Pulsar II on an ASUS A7N8X?
If so, in what PCI slot?
Any BIOS alterations?
Drivers?
WinXP in ACPI or Standard?

I've tried so many configurations, and I just cant get the Luna stop clicking every once in a while!
It's not only with this board I have the problems I might add! I've tried several i845 based boards, and several Via based boards!
Especially when using the Optimaster (maybe it's only because I hear the clicks better with the Optimaster enabled)!

I've even disabled the printer and serial ports in BIOS.

I'm only running an Geforce4 ti4200 on the AGP and Luna in the PCI slots! And an Midiman USB MidiSport 4x4 on the USB!

Any help is really appreciated.

Thx
Mikael

PS My config
Hardware:
ASUS A7N8X
AMD 2100+
Chieftec case and 360w PSU (good and stable)
Geforce 4 Ti4200
Luna 2 + 2496 8port AD
2xIBM GXP60 40GB NTFS formatted (One for system, other for Audio)

Software:
WinXP SP1 (tried both in ACPI and Standard mode)
Creamware SFP4.0
Creamware Optimaster
Creamware Minimax
Cubase SX 2.2.0 b33

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oxygenial on 2004-06-20 09:58 ]</font>
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi, I have that motherboard. Are you using any of the digital i/o on the Luna?

Are they steady clicks, or just a once-in-a while single ones?
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

No, I'm not using SP/DIF at all, and they aren't even connected in my config at the moment.

The clicks are VERY inconsistent.
I'm now running at the slowest Latency and still it clicks randomly (and have been so all the time, on all platforms, since I bought the card 2 years ago!).

My present Luna config is using about 75-80% och total DSP power. Just using the mixer and optimaster.
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

One strange thing I've noticed during the 2 years that I've used the LUNA2 is that re-creating the config has remedied the clicks temporarily.

Just to start clicking again after a couple of reboots! Like there was some database issue in the code, since the routing scheme much reminds like a database solution. Just like Cubase VST 5 messed up if you moved channels and groups around! Only real difference is that I'm not altering my config at all!

What ASIO modules are people running?
At the moment my config is running ASIO2!

What buffer size are people using under SX2?
I've tried various buffersizes, but at the moment I'm using default (5512 I think it is)!

Very greatful for any input!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oxygenial on 2004-06-20 18:48 ]</font>
Pete

Post by Pete »

I've experienced lots of clicks before, but maybe not what yours are. Mine usually involved an external connection.

I used to get some clicks and pops from when my computer'd compete for resources, probably an interrupt while it does a swap or a read, say from a virus program.
And I get at least some clicks if, say, my card's at 48khz but my windows recording device is 44.1. I have gotten clicks before, using Scope and assorted other software. Mostly mismatches of scope modules and the other program's drivers. Solved by accident.
It doesn't seem to be the A7N8X, I have it going really well now. We have three machines using that board in my house.
Ashkenazy

Post by Ashkenazy »

Maybe you could try the card in another computer, and see if the same problems occur. Then you'll know if it's the card or your mainboard that causes the problems.

When it's the mainboard, then I'd get a new mainboard. When it's the card, then I'd send the card to Creamware support for repairing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ashkenazy on 2004-06-23 08:50 ]</font>
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

Well, I have tried it in several computers and configs, as I said before I've run it on a couple of VIA based boards (which was the worst clicks and even som stuttering I've noticed).
Then I tried it on a intel 845 based board, and thats the board where I noticed that if I redo the setup (.pro file) from scratch, it will work fine for a couple of days and then it'll start clicking again.

A friend of mine had a i845 based system and got a SIS chipset based motherboard, and he had the same problems as I did and sold the Luna and bought a M-Audio Delta 1010LT, and everything just worked!

I don't use the SPDIF at all, they aren't even loaded in my config. I do use a LUNA Breakoutbox (8in/out), but that should not be the problem!
On 2004-06-23 08:45, Ashkenazy wrote:
Maybe you could try the card in another computer, and see if the same problems occur. Then you'll know if it's the card or your mainboard that causes the problems.

When it's the mainboard, then I'd get a new mainboard. When it's the card, then I'd send the card to Creamware support for repairing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ashkenazy on 2004-06-23 08:50 ]</font>
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oxygenial on 2004-06-23 10:54 ]</font>
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

I bought a M-Audio FireWire Audiophile yesterday, and can just say one thing! It works flawlessly on the same system with the Luna2 still in it.
No clicks, no stuttering, it just works!

So now I'm routing my Indigo and other synths through the Luna brekoutbox, out the analog out on the LunaII, into the Audiphile FW analog in, and then SPDIF from the Audiophile to my DAT/MD which is connected to my monitors. And in SX I'm running the Audiophile ASIO2 drivers as main drivers! Everything works so fine at 3ms latency, which must mean that the Scope ASIO/ASIO2 drivers ARE THE PROBLEM!
This is really sad since the idea and flexibility and quality of the FX/Synths of the Creamware stuff is just awesome.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oxygenial on 2004-06-23 10:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oxygenial on 2004-06-23 10:58 ]</font>
Pete

Post by Pete »

I had my M-Audio Delta-66 Omni-studio on the same machine as my Creamware card, and could run the spidf from the Delta into the CW card with no probs. As I remember, my samplers that wouldn't sync directly w/the Creamware card would work if they went into the Delta-66 first.
Same thing with running them through my Korg Oasys then into the CW card. I like both the Korg and M-Audio cards, their recordings sound good.
Ashkenazy

Post by Ashkenazy »

Why don't you try to contact Creamware support about this, maybe they can help you with the problem.
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

I have, that's why I'm on this forum, because if someone knows how to remedy any creamware issues, it would be here, since there some real gurus here.

Creamware seems to be to few at the moment since they have had / are having a hard time economically. It took almost 2 weeks getting a reply last time (SFP4 registration issue).
On 2004-06-24 02:20, Ashkenazy wrote:
Why don't you try to contact Creamware support about this, maybe they can help you with the problem.
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

Yup, having similar SPDIF errors on my Luna2 as well. Neither one of my samplers nor my Proteus 2000 nor my DAT/MD will sync to the Creamware SPDIF In! Neither will the Audiophile FW, which is clearly that something is wrong with the drivers again on the Luna2 since all the units will sync with the DAT/MD.
On 2004-06-23 17:54, Pete wrote:
I had my M-Audio Delta-66 Omni-studio on the same machine as my Creamware card, and could run the spidf from the Delta into the CW card with no probs. As I remember, my samplers that wouldn't sync directly w/the Creamware card would work if they went into the Delta-66 first.
Same thing with running them through my Korg Oasys then into the CW card. I like both the Korg and M-Audio cards, their recordings sound good.
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

In what PCI slot do you guys have your card inserted in?

Any special BIOS settings?
menno

Post by menno »

See http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=19&4 for my A7N8X-E Deluxe setup which works with one Pulsar but not with 2 or 3.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the luna uses the same drivers as the pulsar. i have never had a problem syncing to dats/minidiscs or anything else. it's not the driver. with consumer units, the cwa card must be slave for playback of external devices and master for recording to those devices. this is a limitation of the device used(but i'm sure you tried that). i wish that i could give you something better.....
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

On 2004-07-07 16:04, garyb wrote:
the luna uses the same drivers as the pulsar. i have never had a problem syncing to dats/minidiscs or anything else. it's not the driver. with consumer units, the cwa card must be slave for playback of external devices and master for recording to those devices. this is a limitation of the device used(but i'm sure you tried that). i wish that i could give you something better.....
Thanks anyway, even though the SPDIF is the least of my problems.
I would be really happy just to get the card to work as it should, i.e. no crackles and pops when recording. It almost sounds like recording a vinyl, either through Analog in or via 2496 Zlink box.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi oxygenial,
about the Asus board, I found some info about
optimizing it for audio on the RME site (Hammerfall), some time back. I think the link for it is in another Planet Z post.
The info about which slots are shared, is in the A7N8X's manual, though. I do nothing special in bios, and either the acpi or "Standard PC" methods work for me. I disabled USB.
I found that my neighboring PCI slots can hit against the bottom of my CW board's daughterboard and cause a seating problem. There's a header and a fan to avoid too, so I don't have all the slot choices for my boards.

I'm curious to know if your clicks come from the Luna i/o box. Maybe the computer's pci bus activities bump into the box's i/o. I found that some of the computer's noise will end up at the analog outputs, if I let certain cables lie against each other.
I just fixed my click prob with an ADAT connection to an Emu sampler, if anyone wants to know about it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

or if it happens with the box, master/slave clock relationship may not be right...

afaik, the nforce boards really should be used in acpi mode.
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

At the moment I still use my very same config that I've used for ages, but I now have a M-Audio Firewire Audiophile connectec as well.

I do run the M-Audio as ASIO driver, and still uses both Minimax and ZLINK for my outboard gear, and I have no clicks with this setup!
I even have a MasterVerb Classic and a Phaser on one of the ZLINK inputs and it just sounds marvellous!

But as soon as I use the Creamware as ASIO/ASIO2 drivers, things will begin to pop, snap and crackle.

So my upper config works like a charm, but the thing is that I'd really like to master my songs with Optimaster, which is totally undoable, no matter what project I try to use.

What PCI slot are you guys using for your creamware card?! (I've tried them though, but if it works for you, it should work for me, and if I use the same PCI slot, it must be something else!)

Are you guys using Nvidia based graphics cards as well? What driver?

What brand/model of harddrives? could it be an issue with my harddrives? I'm using a IBM GXP60 (30GB for system) and a GXP120 (60GB for music) drive.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oxygenial on 2004-07-15 12:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oxygenial on 2004-07-15 12:29 ]</font>
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have a Pulsar II and a Power Pulsar, both classic i/o. I have them in slots 2 and 3, have used them in either order or separately.
Also in my other A7N8x. I just got a TV tuner pci card as a gift, put it in slot 1. No probs so far. My video card is an MSI MX400 agp card, it's nvidia. I used to have freezing, blue screens and rebooting, but have no probs now. I have usb disabled and have freed the printer port and one com port. I think this helped fix my computer probs. ACPI or Standard PC both work for me. I can use the "agressive" memory setting or not. More memory does help. If I change the CW cards' drivers, I uninstall them, reboot, install them ( I direct Windows to the right directory, don't let it search ), reboot.

I have Maxtor and WDC drives right now.

I remember getting some clicks when I had maybe the wrong kind of wav module in the wrong place in my project. It drove me crazy for a while. If that could be it, you might want to email somebody your project file, see if they get clicks. Do you get the clicks when Cubase isn't involved ?