Some input please

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Craniumguy

Post by Craniumguy »

Nice board you got here :smile:

I'm about to buy a new soundcard and I have been looking at the Luna II card...or...

I have access to a rather nice studio but I wanna be able to make music at home (not much outboards) on my own computer (which is a brand new P4). I wanna record 12-16 audiotracks (not at once) and fiddle with some VSTi's (Halion and such).

So here are my questions:

1. Does the luna card come with any effects?
2. Does it come bundled with some cool synths?
3. How many (roughly) audiotrack can I expect on my system (P4, 1.3 GHz, 380 MB RDRAM).

....should I go for Pulsar 2 instead :wink:

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

1). yes - compressor and eq
2). no synths
*but* if you have a look at the download pages here, and elsewhere (see the link section at the creamware page) you will see that you have access to a bunch of freebies, both FX and synths
3). this depends on your system really, and not the soundcard as much. with a 13ms latency setting, you should be able to get 16 tracks easy. (even 7ms should be no prob).

pulsar II is twice the dsp, and has more inputs, and more devices. if you got the $$$, of course!
Craniumguy

Post by Craniumguy »

Thanks for the info :smile:

I read about a Pulsar 1 + Luna 2 combination which sounds quite interesting. Is there a large difference between the different Pulsar 1 (hardware?) versions and which one should I buy.

Cheers
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

heh- that is exactly the combo i have.

yes pI can achieve a minumum of 13 ms latency, while any gen. 2 board can get lower (luna II, pulsar II etc.). also, the spdif will not loop on a pI, but will on a pII (never hurt me though). finally pI has 4dsps while pII has 6dsps. but i have 7 with my combo and more inputs/outputs, and which cost me not much more than $800. - you just gotta find a used pI ! ! ! got mine offa ebay . . . and don't forget yet stdm cable :wink:
Craniumguy

Post by Craniumguy »

Thanks algorhythm

I off to the secondhand department then :wink: