New simple routing device development question.

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

suvak

Post by suvak »

Hi there!

I have an idea of a device, but i don't know if it's possible to make...
So please people who own a Pulsar Device Development Kit help me to answer this question.
The device:
It has 16 Ins and 16 Outs and a Standard SFP Preset list and Nothing else!
So what the hell must the Presets contain??
-The routing of the Ins and Outs, and at preset change the device must remake the connections stored in a preset.
This is my question.
Is it possible to reconnect the routing settings stored in a pulsar preset????
From the STM2448 device I can make connections (Inputs, outputs) so I thing it's not inpossible to do..

I write down why I need this dev.
I have an Emu E5000 Sampler with 16 ADAT Outs connected to My Pulsar 16 ADAT Ins. I Use it as 8 Stereo channels and route it into the STM2448 Mixer's 8 stereo inputs. But sometimes i would change the effect setting of a mixer channel (inserts, auxs) from my sequencer. Of course not real time, the remake of the routings takes time but it's not a problem.
What can I do?
- I can route the given stereo channel to an other input of the STM2448, but then i must the previous routin disconnect or mute that channel, but it's too frustrating while i'm composing.
- I can store the whole mixer setup in a preset, but it stores all the channels no only the changed channel so it's not to good. (All the presets must update when i change something, eg. the eq of the channel.
- I can store the STM Mixer Channel as a Preset but it's Channel-independent, when i recalll it , It will in the actual mixer channel loading. So it's unrecallable With MIDI prg changes.

This little routing device would help to quick reroute all the ADAT Outs into different channels of the STM2448.
And it would save the power of the DSP too, because every time only the active mixer channels consumes the DSP power!! (active = something connected into it.)
I would pay for this device if it's works correct.

--------- Some additional developing info .. :smile:) --------------------
Preset change algorithm:
Input(x1..x8)=The actual input routing of our device
Output(x1..x8)=The actual output routing of our device
Input(Presetx1..Presetx8) = The routing of the inputX Stored in the preset
Output(Presetx1..Presetx8) = The routing of the OutputX Stored in the preset

If Input(x1..x8)<>Input(Presetx1..Presetx8) then
Disconnect Input(x1..x8)
Connect Input(Presetx1..Presetx8) to Input(x1..x8)
endif
If Output(x1..x8)<>Output(Presetx1..Presetx8) then
Disconnect Output(x1..x8)
Connect Output(Presetx1..:cool: to Output(x1..:cool: 'Kill the actual input of the device that Output(Presetx1..:cool: points to. (A device must have only one input. )
endif

Thank You:Zajos
j9k

Post by j9k »

i'm actually working on a few different versions and combinations of this.

32x32 mixer matrix with the abillity to scale it for your dsp usage.

a fixed 16x16 switch matrix.

a simpler switch matrix? no mixing just 16 text faders to select which input to send to its output . this i could do quick and dirty.

you will have to make your own presets though.

i'm still working on the seqzx8 and a new version of foam though

j9k

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: j 9 k on 2003-01-16 01:21 ]</font>
suvak

Post by suvak »

Hi j9k!

I've checked your 8x8 matrix.
That's nice and usefull but my question really is:
-Is it possible to make a device that can store and restore (With a preset list) it's Input and output connections?
Restore means:Phisically hook the device's input and output to an other device.

It's importan because of the DSP Usage.
When it's nothing connected to the STM2448's input then that channel eats no DSP.
Previously i wrote 8 stereo in's and 8 stereo outs but i was thinking about it and it's unnecessary.
1 Stereo In, 1 Stereo Out, 1 Midi Channel Input and 1 Preset list would be plenty more then enough.

Thank you:Zajos
at0m

Post by at0m »

I'm afraid connections are part of the project, and cannot be saved in a device's preset. j9k's stuff will change the routing within one device, so that can be reset w presets easily.
suvak

Post by suvak »

Yes... I guess too that the routing is the part of the project. A Project preset list would be the best... :))
But i think there must be a Function in the Pulsar SDK that Routes a device's Input to something else's Output and inversely. If it's exist then we must only strore a pointer of the connection or the name of the other device in a hidden textbox or whatever and when the program change this hidden control then the device must update the connection.
Or am I a little bit naiv??? :)
I wish I had a Pulsar SDK...

Bye:Zajos
at0m

Post by at0m »

More thoughts: Ducker & Optimaster have SC connections, that can be set on the device itself. On larger mixers you can select the all I/O from the mixers' panel. But no device stores the connections in the preset.

Can the I/O setting be linked to the preset list? I can imagine it to be possible, maybe the DP'er can create a general pool of possible I/O connections that can be stored in the preset list.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
j9k

Post by j9k »

i just posted a begining version in the devices section.

j9k
suvak

Post by suvak »

Hi j9k!

I've downloaded this "multiplication table" device :)), but I can check it only at home.
But i have a fear that this device won't work the way we questioned.
So please j9k tell us your opinion:
Is it possible to store and restore somehow the routing of a device?

Thank you: Zajos

P.S.:The 32x32 matrix is a good idea but that won't save on the DSP power because I must route all outputs into the 2448Mixer's inputs. I stress: It's not a real-time situation so I have enough time to wait the "routing time" while the device remake it's connections.