Differences in quality and DSP-load between the Luna mixers

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

Post by petal »

Well I have been the lucky owner of an Elektra-card for a few months now, and I am allready strugling to strech them far too few three DSD-processors on my beloved Elektra-card. So the question is, are there in your opinion any big differences in the soundquality in the original Luna-mixers compared to the one in the mainstudio mixer in SFP 3.1C? Cause if there is not, I might be able to save some DSP-power for instruments and FX's instead.

hmmm......

I'll start saving money for one of them new upcoming Creamwarecards right now :wink:

Cheers!
Thomas

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Petal on 2002-10-06 09:10 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

I don't think there will be any differences in quality.

Only differences might be the built-in plugins (EQ, compressor) and 'phase' switch in newer mixers. No big deal I think.
petal

Post by petal »

Thanks Atomic! I think I'll give them a try then.

Cheers!
Thomas :smile:
BlackSun

Post by BlackSun »

I don't think there will be any differences in quality.

>> So you are thinking wrong!

Luna Software causes phase problems!
Isn´t it a point af quality?

All SFP Mixer are right on phase...
at0m

Post by at0m »

I thought the Phase shifting only occurred in rare cases -AFAIK the manual. I don't use it often. I might well be missing something... could someone explain when the phasing occurs? Is it on each stereo channel that's being processed on different DSP's? I dunno if it would be a showstopper.

But then again, I see no reason why to actually use the old mixers over the new ones. Oki, only if you're using 3rd party like Celmo's of SpaceF's mixers, cos they're small/light and different from the other mixers we have.
petal

Post by petal »

The reason why I was thinking about using the Luna-mixers instead of the SFP-mixer, was if the Luna-mixers didn't use as much DSP-power. I only have the Elektra-card, so I'm trying to cut corners here :wink:

But I could take advantage of one of them Christmasoffers from Creamware. 30% of the usual price! Or, I could wait for the new card, which can't be that long away now :wink:

Cheers!
BlackSun

Post by BlackSun »

phaseshifting can be a reason of weird mixing-results. a friend owns a luna 2 and his mixers were always phaseshifted...
now he is working with sfp and everything is right in phase. a mix with phase-problems is unuseable for commercial assignment....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlackSun on 2002-10-08 05:49 ]</font>
petal

Post by petal »

Sounds like I should stay away from the Luna-mixer - hmm

Thanks for the feedback!
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

There's always the possibility of routing your signals through your sequencer and use it's mixer instead. It's a bit more complicated but once your new default setup works, it saves quite a bit of DSP usage(for us, poor Luna/Elektra users :smile:).

If you're interested, send me a private message and I could send you a project file and a Logic environment to illustrate this.

RedSun .:.
petal

Post by petal »

Good idea - I never thought of that...
I even think I know how to do it, but thanks for the help anyway :smile:

visilia

Post by visilia »

Hi All,

I think these phase problems are exaggerated a little bit.

If I remember it correctly, phase shifting will possibly only occur every 5 or 6 channels or so. It should never happen within a stereo channel (phase shift between left and right channels). I think the phase shift between different channels should rarely give you any problems, because in most cases there is a different instrument or sound on every channel of your mixer; it doesn't matter if your bass guitar track is delayed a few samples from your lead guitar track.

An example of when these phase shifts can be a problem is if you use acoustic recordings with a lot of crosstalk between the channels. For example, if your bass guitar track also picked up a lot of signal from the lead guitar, phase problems can occur between the lead guitar from the bass guitar track and the original lead guitar track (but you already could have phase problems because of the difference in distance between the microphones and the sound source :wink:.

To summarize: in most cases phase shifts between channels in a mixer will only give you problems if the same sound/instrument is plugged in more than one (mono or stero) channel.

cheers,
vincent
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Also, if you have some kind of <a href="http://www.ucapps.de">midi controller</a> and use Logic, you can easily remote control all those Mixer Audio Object with a few channel splitters and a Cable Switch.

RedSun .:.