UVI Falcon

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Re: UVI Falcon

Post by Nestor »

Soundisigner, the problem is that this synth can be used only in Reason, it is not a VST you can get access, unfortunately. I know Sample Modeling, they are absolutely great, but they are not really into synths, they are rather into acoustic instruments like violins, flutes, etc., as far as I know.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Objekt seems to be a GREAT instrument overall, I didn't know about it, because of it is for Reason.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

In my search for instruments, while composing, I can say I tend to use, most of all, conventional instruments that I like already very much, like you could like a dish that you know you will eat over and over again, every time you are hungry, those will be the main instruments I would choose, with some variations.

When inspiration hits hard, I don’t tend to search for new sounds, on the contrary, I go straight to what I feel already like my friends, and start playing as soon as possible to build the foundation of the song, then, when the song is already build, I would eventually use some new sounds to embellish the final mix.

In some rare occasions, perhaps something like 5% out of the whole thing, (that is, the 100% of songs I could produce in a year), I would go for some weird or unusual instruments, samples or self-made instruments.

UVI Falcon in that regard, it is more suitable to my way of working than Objekt, as it is a more conventional instrument.
You know? One of the most powerful ways I have to compose, (and what I’m going to say it is death simple, even ridiculously simple), is based in combinations. I prepare instruments and get them ready to be loaded in a few seconds, previously mixed, win their own EQ and FX already, carefully build to my taste and reaction to the keyboard wheels, and this is one of the most powerful and beautiful sounds I can get out of the DAW. This process takes hours and hours, but once you have them in your hands, it is wonderful.

I mix, (to your surprise probably) two or three basses, two ore three drums, two or three pianos, and this is particularly great when mixing lead instruments, I can go as far as mixing even more synths together with very satisfying results to my likes.
I say that because it is one of the best ways to expand your tools, without getting a new one, even if I’m crazy about Falcon :)

Do you guys do this? It is perhaps so obvious what it is kind of silly to ask, but I truly wander if you do the same ore not.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

valis wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:04 pm What I was asking was what your first portion of your reply contained: how does object compare in terms of range of sounds as well as quality of synthesis. If I want an accurate instrument I will record it played by an excellent player, simple as.
Got it! Yea, nothing ITB beats a real Musician playing a real acoustic instrument if he/she is very good and the exact sound of that instrument you want.

As good as AI and PM may get i'm not convinced very skilled people will ever be replaceable, for one reason or another. But new dimensions to Music Production are certainly being added and improved upon.
valis

Post by valis »

I don’t understand concerns about replacement. The Roland drum boxes (and TB303 etc) were met with the same concerns, yet people still play the drums and bass guitar.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

valis wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:43 pm I don’t understand concerns about replacement. The Roland drum boxes (and TB303 etc) were met with the same concerns, yet people still play the drums and bass guitar.

Both your examples are great examples of new tech improving the industry and making small Studios more capable.

My problem with some of the new tech is not that they will steal jobs from talented people but that people use some of it as a crutch and this contributes to music sounding worse.

AI often is substituted for further development of skills. People lean on Autotune for pitch correction too much, rather than learning to sing better and living with the minor human imperfections in pitch.

Izotope and Sonible are some of the leaders in AI plugins. Their plugins basically do all the Mixing for you, you just press a button and they analyze and apply Efeects to your Track/Mix/Master. The AI always determine you need Effects processing and it usually does'nt sound good. This Custome preset is almost always over-the-top to me. AI is no substitute for improving Mixing skill and i think these type plugins make music sound worse when people lean too heavily on them and make a constant crutch of them. I welcome the new tech, its just a Custome-preset and there is nothing wrong with presets. One just need to be smart when using the smart-tools :D . Presets make good starting points but the overall sonic picture should come from your mind not a plugin, IMO.

I don't fear this type of AI taking jobs, if anything it might create more work for skilled Engineers cause it sounds so horrible at present time. I do think it contributes to Music sounding worse today and the laziness of this new generation of Composers and Engineers who seem to love Loops, Autotune, AI Mixing, etc. Just my 2 Cents.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Nestor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:12 pm ... I mix, (to your surprise probably) two or three basses, two ore three drums, two or three pianos, and this is particularly great when mixing lead instruments, I can go as far as mixing even more synths together with very satisfying results to my likes.
I say that because it is one of the best ways to expand your tools, without getting a new one, even if I’m crazy about Falcon :)

Do you guys do this? It is perhaps so obvious what it is kind of silly to ask, but I truly wander if you do the same ore not.
Atm I rather try to avoid it... because I suffer from a simple decision problem: which sound to take ??? :o :D
I already have way too many: Yamaha DX, Casio CZ and VZ, at least 10 Scope synths considered „essential“, 10 more on iPad, 2 dozen great Akai CDs... :-?
Yet I can‘t resist to search for „new“ sounds.

But your approach is very common: it‘s what Korg, Roland and Yamaha do for decades, just with more limits compared to your way of manually arranging parts. :)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yeah, I understand, these keyboards have done it for decades, I have had them too, but my approach is quite different as there is much freedom involved, including the addition of any FX and routing, then I save them as a single preset through Blue Cat's PatchWork, which is great. I am most exigent with myself when coming to leads sounds particularly, they MUST inspire me to a point melodies and solos go by their own, then musical lines just come out of you easily because you like it so much. I have created a few of those already, they take a long time to be build true, but nothing comes even close to them in any synth preset you can buy, either in multis or combinations, you have to build them from scratch yourself to reach what you "exactly" want, it is not easy, it takes a lot or patience and work, but they become priceless. These are "instruments" (if you want to call them like that), that you will always use, they do not get old.

I will give you a musical example, here you have several instruments of the same realm used in subtle ways, there are two basses at first, sometimes three bases, there are at least, in the whole track, 6 drums that overlap with each other, there are several guitars, synths leads, etc. Think about it more like adding layers sometimes, but sometimes is like an EQ, an Fx or a difference in dynamics an timber, sometimes it might be only the tail of a timber what you hear coming from one instrument, and the attack coming from another, etc., etc., it will be quite difficult to distinguish for you because when you listen to them they will sound like a single instrument, but they are several. This, I have found, it is one of the most convenient ways to reach exactly the kind of sounds and textures I want without burning my brain and spending so much time.

This is my latest song called "World Government", which is in Spanish. Here you will see what I mean, everything goes this way, (by the way, I have used the DT 770 Pro to mix it), sorry it is a crappy mp3, listen:

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... 0NbBEs3nO7
astroman

Post by astroman »

Good song... 8) I assume you intentionally mixed the vocals a bit up front to focus on lyric content.
So the details of the instrumentation are somewhat hidden, but who cares ? After all it‘s a song.
I get your ideas about „instrument design“ and the freedom gained, though.
Better than to browse hundreds of presets anyway :D
Respect to your composition skills, impressive !
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, perhaps the lyrics are a bit loud if we take them as a melody only, the emotional content of the song is in the lyrics, it's true, in the meaning of the words, it talks about having what we deserve because we vote those crazy guys that are up in power today.

Anyway, it is difficult to realize there are several instruments of the same kind, you see?, because they sound like one, except, perhaps, the drums, which are sometimes quite obvious in their overlap.

Thank you for your comments Tom.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I am getting myself the time to really get into Falcon, little by little. Guys..., this is a serious weapon, I am in awe. The deeper I get, the more I like it. THE SOUND it produces, IT IS FOR ME.

I'm really getting in trouble now... :D I must get it.

Gave up on many other things already, including some great ones like Harrison Mixbus, (but it is too expensive and I can achieve similar things anyway, I found how with other means). Falcon, nevertheless, is winning in all terrains, I feel it could be a forever companion for me. We'll see... :)