Madness, I like virtual synths MORE than hardware

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Madness, I like virtual synths MORE than hardware

Post by Nestor »

It is crazy, but we have reached such a level of development and possibilities that I am surprised my instinct likes more the virtual world of synths than the hardware ones. Timbers are millions into your hands, everything can be so fast, FXs, anything to anywhere, multiple instruments with insertions similar to Blue Cat's Patchwork, every instrument so easily routable with your MIDI keyboard, automation, very complex preset recalling through various systems of your DAW, or through dedicated VST additions. I am surprising myself to say this, but it is true: Today, I prefer virtual synths among hardware ones :o :)
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
valis

Re: Madness, I like virtual synths MORE than hardware

Post by valis »

In terms of built in possibilities, it's certainly hit the point where even the best hardware units are basically software on a known development platform (Korg is not the only company using ARM now, Push 3 runs with the guts of an Intel NUC, etc).

In my mind, a hardware synth should be designed to be an intuitive instrument first and foremost, with an immediacy and intuitive setup that wouldn't be present on an agnostic midi controller paired with software (where different workflows and UI decisions might restore that and then some, of course).
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

valis wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:51 pm
In my mind, a hardware synth should be designed to be an intuitive instrument first and foremost, with an immediacy and intuitive setup
Totally
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

For example, the Arturia SQ80-V, contains the "exact" reconstruction of the original, plus several options that only hardware has with weird possibilities, beyond the hardware unit. I'm talking about the latest version, it is a joy to work with truly, remarkable engineering.