Keep PlanetZ Alive, make a donation

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

John Cooper

Keep PlanetZ Alive, make a donation

Post by John Cooper »

Hey folks,

I built the PlanetZ website and these forums out of an enthusiasm for Pulsar and the Pulsar community. Unfortunately, I'm told that banks and ISP's don't run on enthusiasm alone :smile: So, after a few friends suggested it, I've set up a way to accept donations.

Fear not, PlanetZ is not becoming a paid subscription service!!! But if you're feeling particularly generous, or in a good mood today, please consider a donation (of any amount). This will help keep PlanetZ alive (by covering increasing server fees, time, etc).

Donate with Paypal by clicking the Donate button at the bottom of any page. Or click here:

[edit october 2012, removed kagi link]
[edit november 2015, removed paypal donation link-- the forums have moved to the new scopeusers.com server hosted by Matt/Valis. He may add some new donation mechanism]

Cheers,
-John
Last edited by John Cooper on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Considering how many free, cool things I've gotten here and how much information is traded around, a little donation for the ISP is a real bargain.
brain1

Post by brain1 »

ok :smile:
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

It is very difficult for me to make a donation. I have been trying only to realize that my country is Trinidad is not on the Paypal approved list. I have tried tyo purchase items through Paypal before with other companies but could not get through. I was still charged a fee though :mad: :mad: :mad:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I think its logical and completely normal for us to give you something helping your needs :smile: . It is as natural as going to the Baker to buy some bread, even if bread is cheap you have to pay for it!

John, which Cards are accepted? I will get one myself, cos I don't have one. Which is the one you would recomend? Visa?

Please, wait till I have done it at the bank, and then I'll send you some support.

Thanks for so many hours of learning in here... cos of you! :smile: :smile: :smile:
garyb

Post by garyb »

o.k.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Looking forward to 5 years of study (and paying back the loan for my SRB), I can not give much. But I will anyway. May be a bit symbolic, but it will be there. As said before, this forum has meant everything for my setup. Thanks again.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I put a twenty in the kitty. You should also take a look into kagi.com and shareit for international people... it would be cool if "subscribers" also got something a little special. On other forums for example you get a dedicated faster server without banner ads; the normal server has banner ads and is a bit slower, that kind of thing. Of course, the Z is pretty small still and you've already given everyone quite a bit(!!) so this may just be an idea for the future.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2002-08-09 19:23, Nestor wrote:
John, which Cards are accepted? I will get one myself, cos I don't have one. Which is the one you would recomend? Visa?
Paypal takes Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.

Thanks for your support Nestor!
-John
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2002-08-09 20:33, subhuman wrote:
I put a twenty in the kitty. You should also take a look into kagi.com and shareit for international people...
{/quote]

Thanks Sub for your neverending support! :smile:

Yeah, I've used Kagi before (with planetz device sales), and they're good, especially for international orders. The only downside is that they keep 10% of the money (with a minimum fee of $2.50), so it's not so good for small transfers (e.g. if you donate $5, they keep half, but if you donate a bigger amount, it's not so bad). I'll look into it, and post a second link at the top of this thread if it works out. [...update, I've added the Kagi link now...]
it would be cool if "subscribers" also got something a little special. On other forums for example you get a dedicated faster server without banner ads; the normal server has banner ads and is a bit slower, that kind of thing.
Well, I've tried to keep planetz banner free, and on a fast server for everyone. I think it'd be a shame to actually REQUIRE people to pay to have a good experience. I don't want to split the community like that, and I'm hoping people will just feel the vibes will and contribute, without resorting to that. Maybe I'm an idealist? :smile:

-John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Cooper on 2002-08-09 21:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Cooper on 2002-08-09 22:09 ]</font>
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2002-08-09 19:12, abre11 wrote:
It is very difficult for me to make a donation. I have been trying only to realize that my country is Trinidad is not on the Paypal approved list.
I'm sorry about that!!! I'll look into setting up a Kagi donations page, as they are better with international payments.

-John
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Also happy to donate a few bucks. Keep up the great work John!
coc999

Post by coc999 »

ok :smile:
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Thanks again for your support!

Turns out that Paypal charges a percentage on credit card donations, too. It looks like it's cheaper than Kagi though (turns out to be 2.9% plus $.30, which comes out to about 4.5% on a $50 donation --I guess it's only free if it's a balance transfer. So if you add money to your Paypal account first, and then transfer it, I guess it'd be without a fee).

-John
cook

Post by cook »

It's complicated to pay in the internet if you have no creditcard. Still.
hubird

Post by hubird »

No problem!

I'll try my VISA card.

I was off line for three months, and I missed planetz.

If it's normal to pay for one's bred, a donation is quite normal too, PlanetZ IS bred... :smile:

Let There Be PlanetZ!
The Z Station

Post by The Z Station »

Happy to oblige!
:grin:

I hope CreamWare takes a notice of this to see how their product brings people together from the far raches of this planet into another planet called "Planet Z!"

And thanks again for facilitating such an awesome E-Forum!

Long Live!
The Z Station

[ADDENDUM]
Money Order okay? PM me for the mailing address.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Z Station on 2002-08-11 03:13 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

hi John,

is it a problem to setup an account with 'Shareit' ?
Germany to US transfers work very smooth by them (for those without credit card)
I'd be glad to make a donation for continuing the best planet ever :smile:

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2002-08-12 12:43 ]</font>
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Hi Tom,

I just looked into shareit, and it only really makes sense if I'll be receiving a lot of money (which I don't expect). The reason is, they charge $2.95 + 4% per order, plus $2 everytime they transfer to my bank. This means if someone donates $15, I'll only get $9.45. It seems a bit of a shame that so much of the money you would donate would end up in their hands, instead of planetz's!!

Now, on the other hand, if you were planning on donating a TON of money, then let me know, and I'll set it up!!!! :smile: Otherwise, hold on to your cash and do something else positive with it!

Cheers,
-John
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

:sad: I am running in circles

I try to pay money:
I must enter my pass word
I must enter secret questions
I must enter my pass word again
I must enter my secret question again

I don't like this - how many times do they charge me for putting me in circles?

And now I have 2 letters in my inbox.
I got some looooong technical letters about a member number - What is THAT? - they use words and fracings I do not know :sad:

It looks like, I will recieve my member number th next time I get a note from my bank about how I have spend my money in the previous month? And I need this number for paying with Pay Pall?

Most important:

I found out Pay Pall is MORE expensive than Kagi!!

If I want to transfer 10$, Pay Pall eats 2$54, while Kagi eats 2$50 - it is not much of a difference at that sum, but I can not see, how Kagi can be more difficult than Pay Pall. Also Kagi speaks Danish...

For now I will do nothing but wait for my next note from the bank - If my 10$ where drewn fine. I hope YOU got them then John (because I can not keep an over view of the situation anymore). If only my "membership" where drewn, I shurely hope to get my 4-digit member number. Or else I will be a real pain in the EXIT to the Pay Pall service people.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.