Minimax vs Behringer Model D MP3 guess who is who!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Minimax vs Behringer Model D MP3 guess who is who!

Post by Marco »

Here Comes Minimax vs Behringers. Model D Just listen and commend.

The Settings of the knobs where the same, but the Sound was different, so I adapted the Minimax, and I have EQed the Minimax, because there was very very much bassfrequencies amplified.
I have monofied the stereo output, because model D is mono and not stereo like Minimax.

here Comes the comparision:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApPWzfjyiAbwlhp-9I1 ... 1?e=TsqQGf

guess who is who? Who Comes at first in the recording? The Behringer at or is it the Minimax? :D :D :D
Last edited by Marco on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Bud Weiser

Re: Minimax vs Behringer Model D MP3 guess who is who!

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:25 am Here Comes Minimax vs Behringers. Model D Just listen and commend.
What´s the purpose of that comparison ?
Which is "better" or "which comes more close to the original" ?
Do you own an original (like I do) ?
And do you know the originals were all slightly different (like I do ´cause I owned 3 originals) ?
Marco wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:25 am The Settings of the knobs where the same, but the Sound was different, ...
No surprise.
The scaling of pots in hardware or software emulations is somewhat different always.
Also see tolerances in original Allen Bradley pots and the pots Behringer uses and then think about what happens when things are emulated in binary code (just only because of the limitations of binary code).
Marco wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:25 am ... so I adapted the Minimax, and I have EQed the Minimax, because there was very very much bassfrequencies amplified.
Where ?
Your test setup is what ? Active (or passive w/ separate amp) speakers, cans, Scope PCI cards or XITE-1 (matters because of converters),- any other converter ?

Finally,- my Minimoog D doesn´t sound like Minimax or vice versa.
Why?

1.)
Because the original keyboard is missing which introduces key-contact artefacts to the sound,- like it´s on a Hammond tonewheel organ,- and audability depends on ENV settings.
It´s because of the contact springs smearing over the busbars.

2.)
Because the audio out > (mic) preamp-in loopback sounds different in Minimax vs (my) Minimoog D,- what it does already when doing comparisons between several Minimoog D.

3.)
Older voiceboards vs the more stable newer ones make a sonic difference too.

I expect similar differences, coming form components behringer uses, too.

B. Model D doesn´t sound exactly like a/my Minimoog D too,- in fact it depends on the patches you dial in,- and that´s exactly the same behaviour I recognized when using software emulations, Minimax included.

B.t.w., I didn´t buy Model D because the MIDI implementation is mediocre.

I see it as a great addition to a Eurorack system though.
In fact I´d buy it when Tom Oberheim came w/ his, since years announced, SEM-X and Oberheim ringmod and phaser modules, then put all together for a Jan Hammer like rig from the 70s when he did his record "The First Seven Days".

:)

Bud
Marco

Post by Marco »

The truth is, you hear a big difference. But I can't say, what is better or sounds better?

Both have it's right to exist. Minimax has presets and polyphony and the Hardware not. But both are not the same, and the sound is really different. Minimax is hifi EQed and stereo. And the overtone structure sounds very different and more complex.

You might be blind but you can hear it.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
al_bot

Post by al_bot »

Yeah, No MIDI CC messages for the knobs / no patch saving prevented me from getting the Behringer Model D. I wish they put a little more effort into that area. I still may get one to fiddle with in the future. I wish I could get into the Native Instruments stuff, but they have a vibe that just doesn't gel with me. I even tried using the scope compressors on the sound but it never felt right to me (was messing with NI Super 8). But everyone has different tastes hence all these cools synths / companies exist. :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

For myself Minimax is a single mono voice without effects, never used it poly or with those bells and whistles...
and Earinger is totally out of bounds :evil: :D
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hey Astroman! It's would be time for you to try the Minimax with 6 voices. A new Dimension of Sound you will not regret!

al_bot
Why do you wait for Behringer? Roland did a good job with Midi implemented comfort.
al_bot

Post by al_bot »

i like the moog sound but wanted to try something different, so skipped the roland se-02 as well. the minimax fullfilled my moog needs. ended up saving and getting the deepmind 12. need to speed more time with it, havent had time to really dig into it. sounded fine.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

They sound very different in the examples.
I’m guessing that the first sound is the original. But really it doesn’t make sense to compare since it sounds like 2 completely different sounds, so I could easily be wrong.
I have the Behringer D and love it to bits. It’s so much easier to fit into a mix than many soft synths I have used. I too would have loved preset capabilities. Would have gladly paid and extra 100 euro for that. A shame they go the same route with the sh101 and arp clones they are making. Will be getting a minilogue Xd (desktop) as soo. As they are available, so I will have my preset lust quenched by that beast.
It’s a great time to be alive if you like analog hardware synths and don’t want to pay the price of the original machines.
Marco

Post by Marco »

That's the point, they Sound very different. Your guess Was right, the first one is the Behringer.

For presets, Behringer is not the right partner, the roland sh01 is the perfect Partner for that Job.

But I have a new idea! I have discovered sample robot Software. This plays your synth Note by Note and record the samples, cut Find loop points and built a whole New sample Bank, you are able to export your own samplebank into very different Formats.

This makes it possible to sample and play your favorite synths, no matter if monophonic or polyphonic in your favorite sampler

. In my case I want to create samplebankss with a great modular System. Especially a Modular System creates the deepest sounds I have ever heard, but no Chance to recreate them again!

But you can also record acoustic Instruments and take advantages of the automatic cut and loop and mapping functions.

Sample robot cost 249€, for me Worth the money!