BX Oberhausen

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

BX Oberhausen

Post by dawman »

Brainrox, our beloved BX Digital creator went VST way back when for financial reasons/market share.
But recently made this synth and it’s a damn good reproduction of the Oberheim sound, plus extras.
Always love it when developers go past boring emulation only.

BX was always a great mid side plug in, monk maker was truly unique too, but I’ve never heard of his mid side work added to a synth filter?

Check this fat bastard out, don’t skip around seeking instant gratification, this guy wastes no words and explains details while giving audio example.
I’m usually snoring after 30 seconds of other cats talking shit and not playing sounds.

John is the best cat for demos, they were wise to use him.
I’m not getting this just because I’m pretty stubborn these days and use the same stuff I’ve used for years.
But if you want the Oberhein SEM/OBX sound this dog will hunt.

https://youtu.be/GcgZhBfLI8o
yayajohn

Re: BX Oberhausen

Post by yayajohn »

Downloaded this morning. Really nice sounds. Blows away the Arturia to my ears.
Rumored at $179 intro price. At that price I don't really need to have it right away.
Will be interesting to see how it compares to the other really good VST synths like Diva etc.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Thanks, nice to see a demo by someone that knows synthesis. That m-s filter is a brilliant idea, I think I'll have to bash that together in the modular and maybe SDK sometime. Sure wish the Brainworx stuff was still available in Scope; it's great in VST too, but it's a nuisance to have mixing tools outside of Scope.
astroman

Post by astroman »

The idea of pan-spreading filters is indeed cool and was applied 20 years ago on the Koblo Vibra Synth on Powermacs.
It's my only native PPC synth and the filter (actually a combination of the ones listed below) is handled similiar to the Solaris way. And plain stunning - as it's almost alias free.
The filters sound great and include the following types: 2/4/8-pole, Double and Quad (12 dB/octave multiple parallel), Notch (24 dB with split highpass and lowpass), and Saw and Square Comb with multiple resonant peaks. A filter output stage includes cutoff, resonance lowpass, highpass, bandpass, distortion and stereo spread parameters. Keyboard tracking and a Separation control can vary resonance and cutoff frequencies, depending on the filter type.
details almost vanished from the net, here's the best pic I could quickly find
http://www.muzoborudovanie.ru/equip/stu ... ra9000.php

Unlike Scope the Koblo system (another audio programming approach) didn't sustain the test of time.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:04 am Brainrox, our beloved BX Digital creator went VST way back when for financial reasons/market share.
But recently made this synth and it’s a damn good reproduction of the Oberheim sound, plus extras.
... if you want the Oberhein SEM/OBX sound this dog will hunt.

https://youtu.be/GcgZhBfLI8o
Sounds excellent !!!

thx

:)

Bud

P.S.:

I really miss such "ober....ish" device in SCOPE.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:07 pm
I really miss such "ober....ish" device in SCOPE.
yup, me too. I would have paid twice the asking price for it too. Probably only a handful of guys here that would though.

Bud are you on Win 10? Your poly on the stock synths really sucks. I am getting 16 voices on all of those, even loaded together. I'm on Win7 64bit Xeon machine. (btw; we had this discussion 3 years ago :P , are you on the same machine as well?)

Dan
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 am
Bud are you on Win 10? Your poly on the stock synths really sucks. I am getting 16 voices on all of those, even loaded together. I'm on Win7 64bit Xeon machine. (btw; we had this discussion 3 years ago :P , are you on the same machine as well?)

Dan
No Win 10 ...
I guess you´re refering to my comments in the (Anouncements) MPA thread, do you ?

Yes, that´s the old machine, WinXP SP3, ASUS P5WD Premium, Intel Pentum dual core D 945, SCOPE 5.1 32Bit/ XITE-1.

I actually collect the parts for a Z97 Win 7 Pro 64Bit build.
Will report back when ready.

:)

Bud
Marco

Post by Marco »

Why have you infected me? This synth is a killer!!!!!!! shit...................
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

On public X-mas sale for $99,-. Even cheaper, $49,- when you're subsribed to the newsletter. Last couple of hours, maybe this deal will return at the end of the month like they did last years.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ausen.html
dawman

Post by dawman »

Coolness.
I’m always telling guys why I like certain synths @ GSlutz.
They always get carried away with Sequences and Arpeggiators.
When they ask what I think of the front rolling reverse twisted Arpeggiator, I got nothing to say other than I like the two I have, one at the end of each arm...

Ankyu