How do I overclock my i7-4790 ?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

How do I overclock my i7-4790 ?

Post by dante »

Now with a few instances of Shreddage - running at low CPU setting - I could use a little boost on the odd occasion. Motherboard is ASUS Z87C.
yayajohn

Re: How do I overclock my i7-4790 ?

Post by yayajohn »

:D Holy mother f***** of a jam session going on woohoo!........bluescreen.......Damn it! :D
petal

Post by petal »

In my experience, the potential extra 10% CPU power you might get, is not really worth the risk/hastle/instability - Just saying :)
fraz

Post by fraz »

petal wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:46 pm In my experience, the potential extra 10% CPU power you might get, is not really worth the risk/hastle/instability - Just saying :)
Maybe this is correct - But if you wanted to....

Is it the 4790 or the 4790 K -?

You would need to get into the BIOS and learn how it works - this may involve another forum and online searches. This is something I'll be looking at so at present don't know a great deal about it but.... the base clock and muliplier are involved - of course there is more to it but a mild overclock (if possible on 4790) with a decent air cooler should be easy to get more performance.

4790 K is 4 Ghz - at stock clocks
4790 is 3.6 Ghz

If it is the 4790 it isn't as over clockable as a 4790 K but dawman here has discussed this some time back so it should be possible to get a boost. You may be able to use the stock cooler but a 3rd party cooler such as https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail would be a good option.

There are so many makes on the market above is just one example.

Is it really worth it? - I'm not sure - but it is worth knowing how to do it. If you are pushing the 4790 to its limits now then a little over clock won't get you much more - unless you only need a little more power to complete every project - then maybe it is.
dante

Post by dante »

fraz wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:04 am You would need to get into the BIOS and learn how it works - this may involve another forum and online searches. This is something I'll be looking at so at present don't know a great deal about it but.... the base clock and muliplier are involved - of course there is more to it but a mild overclock (if possible on 4790) with a decent air cooler should be easy to get more performance.
Well, learning (figuring it out myself) is what I was hoping to avoid with some simple step by step instructions.

Its not the 'K' - if I have to install a new cooler I probably wont bother - its coming up summer here as well. But Propellerhead are saying that VST optimisation will be in the next release of Reason so easier to wait for that than unrack the DAW. I only need a little bit more power though (they all say that then want more I bet).
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Isn't there an Asus software that could do the job for you ? On my Asus B85-pro with an I7 4790K, I can use the "AI suite" software that tests the computer automatically, then adjusts all bios parameters to overclock the CPU without any unstability. It runs at 4Ghz instead of 3.6.
There is certainly a comparable software for your mobo (?).
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Post by dawman »

FYI.
I have the non k and k versions.
Supposedly k means you can overclock only that CPU.
Total bullshit.
I run my non k @ 4 GHz because that’s the optimal speed.
My k version I run stock speeds as I don’t need more juice.

However 4.4GHz is easy and the Asus can do this in the BIOS.
Reboot holding down delete.
The BIOS Screen will show up.
Select advanced tab unless there’s a specific tab showing Overclocking tweaks.

Usually you just enter the speed you want, and I doubt it doesn’t have this option, but as a last resort, kick up the voltage or the speed of the Buss.

MAKE SURE PCI is not included in that endeavor.

Cheers
dante

Post by dante »

Awesome thanks DMan Ill give that a shot - I knew you'd hook me up to the juice...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey I like the 4790s so much and they’re dirt cheap right now, I just bought 2 x more @ Newegg for 700 bucks and two rare 1U Z97m WS ASRocks for 250.
I’m tired of the unnecessary quest for more power and more incompatibility.
For live work the 4790 can do several Keyscape Kontakt layers and still do Zebra2, PTeq and Omnisphere.
So fuck the goose chase.
I know rthese parts well, they’ve been getting the shit beat out of them by me for years and keep me 100% stable.
Why keep fishing and feeding these schmucks @ Intel.
I’m good for 10 more years and will stay right where I’m at.
Tired of fixing shit that already works.
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 5263 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

FWIW I have 2 x brand new ASRock Z97s I’m never going to need.
For giving us Scope Rise they’re yours for the price of shipping,
One board has been put in a 4U as a spare and has maybe 49 hours on it.
The other has never been opened, still has sticker and plastic.

Give me the word and they’re yours.
I’m way overstocked with C236 boards too.
I went nuts with builds and must have parts for 10 PCs laying around.

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 5262 times
Marco

Post by Marco »

If this System is to slow? Something is wrong with you! No need to pump your CPU to the Limit until it burns down :evil:
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Marco wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:18 am If this System is to slow? Something is wrong with you! No need to pump your CPU to the Limit until it burns down :evil:
True, but 4GHz-4.4GHz is optimal and the 400MHz extra is harmless.
Guys trying to run 4.6-5.0GHz will get slightly better performance but shortening the life cycle of your board and CPU.