New Sound Designer Tool : Harm Gen Synth (non-Scope)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

DragonSF

Re: New Sound Designer Tool : Harm Gen Synth (non-Scope)

Post by DragonSF »

jksuperstar wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:59 pm Woah, is that something that sits in the editor, or that is in the Synth code?!

An “Altoids sized” Teensy/Shruti in a little box would be very badass application.
If I reduce the numbers of partial to 12 (eliminating the insignificant ones) Shruti can have 2-voice polyphony. Imaging making a real wood-case and some switches made of pick-guard plastic and contact-switches, using 2 potis for octave selection and velocity-> perfect Teensy Shruti-box. No need for pumping.
In the Editor, the control now looks like this:
Attachments
shru2.png
shru2.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 6432 times
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Oooooh...I have a 3D printer up for the task with black ABS and white PLA ;)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Can pumping be emulated with an LFO/env controlling the output gain of each partial? I suppose some partials would stay stronger, and others would get very weak depending on the phase of the pumping.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Yes, that's possible.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

jksuperstar wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:03 pm Can pumping be emulated with an LFO/env controlling the output gain of each partial? I suppose some partials would stay stronger, and others would get very weak depending on the phase of the pumping.
Have a look:
https://youtu.be/LblFiDxN2Ng

Notice also the new compact GUI style. And actually, there is no latency. Somehow my Screen Recorder lags the audio.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Wow, that sounds great! I love the evolution the sound progresses through and ends up in.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

jksuperstar wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:39 am Wow, that sounds great! I love the evolution the sound progresses through and ends up in.
Thanks for the kind comment. I thought, that was what you were up to. It's unbelievable, what a teeny Teensy can do :-)
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I've done some ADSR AM adding to the sound: (please notice, that the LFO is now also affecting the filter, so you can get a real emulation of the box pumping)
https://youtu.be/HNzHh6DHFLA
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Even more wow! That really is incredible what the teensy is capable of, and what you created! Congrats!

You mentioned loosing some harmonics to fit it in the Teensy...can some oscillators use a saw or triangle instead of a sine to create those lost harmonics?
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

If the partials have the same envelope, yes, a replacement would be possible. But real life instruments have no such harmonics (AFAIK). But it's worth a try for the next generation. Now I'm implementing a morphing function to do a spectral morph of up to 4 instruments. The for sides represent the 4 instruments, which spectral percentage is used in the sound.
morph.png
morph.png (369.18 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
The ADSR control allows now also the editing by using the mouse on points directly:
adsr2.png
adsr2.png (554.99 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

That looks interesting. Keep up the great work.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

This has me thinking of a network protocol to connect multiple Teensy boards together....I guess much like SCOPE does between DSPs. I wouldn't expect a compiler to handle the distribution automatically, but having a small farm of teensy boards is cheap and easy to deploy.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

You have to write some software to bridge the individual Teensys. I'd suggest I2S between the Teensys in a Daisy Chain. Only the first and last need an Audio Shield.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Yep, an N-Mesh simple protocol was my thought. SPI is a good option, since it supports the bandwidth, is bidirectional (though needs to determine a master), and could support audio/midi/other. That and Teensy has some fast SPI hardware and efficient drivers.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

On the VST side: new features and Standalone created:
https://youtu.be/b8qqHBlV7X4
All lfos now have a new waveform, which can smoothly morph from saw over triangle to reverse saw.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

sounds great. Nice job
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

https://youtu.be/z7hAjl4wZYQ
New partials editor and different osc shapes (0:sine 1: saw 2: square 3: triangle) S=Solo, M=Mute
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Have you seen the 1010music Eurorack shield for teensy? It's compatible with the PJRC AudioShield, but adds MIDI I/O, 2 pots, and 4 LEDs. It doesnt fit the 3.6 that well, but that can be fixed by using ribbon cable to attach the teensy. It doesn't come with a faceplate, but that allows for adding a screen or extra control surface...a real Shruti Eurorack VCO?
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

https://youtu.be/5vTvbBTOrm4

drag and drop instrument files on the VST. The extra GUI is not needed anymore.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

jksuperstar wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:47 pm Have you seen the 1010music Eurorack shield for teensy? It's compatible with the PJRC AudioShield, but adds MIDI I/O, 2 pots, and 4 LEDs. It doesnt fit the 3.6 that well, but that can be fixed by using ribbon cable to attach the teensy. It doesn't come with a faceplate, but that allows for adding a screen or extra control surface...a real Shruti Eurorack VCO?
Isn't it quit expensive? But looks good, if only the 3.6 was supported directly.