CMS-1

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

roy thinnes

Re: CMS-1

Post by roy thinnes »

thanks for your interest guys!
I also want to mention that this device is just a prototype/teaser, also to arouse interest of other developers.

Difficulty level: for me (entering highscool in the seventies) even with Will's endless patience and helpfulness still sometimes a bit demanding;
for the youngsters out there who learnt coding at kindergarten: quite easy I think :P
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

thanks roy and will! :) another awesome addition, congrats on all the new tech used here
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

faxinadu wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 am congrats on all the new tech used here
in comparison, a Mars flight is peanuts.
Nasa & Elon Musk, I'm ready! (If Will helps me out here and there)
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Looking forward to try this, but i have an issue :)

When i load the device, i get an error saying it cant find the dsp file OSCreciever. I have installed Scopesync and CMS-1. The small panel appears, but i cant show the main panel by pressing "open panel". There is no "oscreciever" in my DSP folder.

Any tips?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
next to nothing

Hey faxi thanks :) That helped, and the new version 0.1.0.43 also fixed my panel :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

It should have been the last page of the installer that directed you to download that, so let me know if that didn't happen.
next to nothing

It very well might have been, i tend to press finish/ok or whatever without reading properly :)

I am just trying it out now, and this actually loads fine on a 3dsp card, I am impressed :)
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Anyone tried out controlling the synth from the VST plugin yet?

I can actually create VST and AU versions for Mac OSX too, if anyone would be able to benefit from that. For now, I'd been treating that as a low priority, as I wasn't sure if anyone would use.
petal

Post by petal »

I've tried it out in Live 10, and I can make it work, it's a nice synth :)

I can control the synth from the VST plugin.

But, I have to load the VST-plugin in an audio channel, and then I need to send midi motes from a midi channel, so that makes the midi notes seperate from the parameter-control. Is this by design or the only way to do it?

Also, I noticed that only one parameter shows up on Push, and that is the parameter you have last interacted with.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Hi Petal,
-in Live, pick the ScopeSyncVSTInst and draw it to an empty space
-load the Plug-In's configuration
-to assign parameters, unfold Device Parameters (that little triangle in the device title bar)
-click on 'configure'
-then, every CMS-1 control you click on will be automatically added to the device parameters
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Just to save confusion, Roy means the CMS-1 VST plugin, not the ScopeSync one.

Re midi on the same channel, I'll have a look into it. It should be possible
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Update 0.1.0.45 is already available: ScreenSet ability.
you can download the update here.

-if you already made presets, please make a safety copy as they will be overwritten by setup :)
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Hi Will/Roy I successfully used the CMS-1 VST in Reaper with automation. Works as advertised.
I like that both UI's stay synced now which I guess means the snapshot feature is sort of obsolete now maybe?
Having trouble reading the top line of parameters on the matrix but I don't see anyway around that having to cram in all of those titles in a tight space like that. Old eyes don't help either but I'm finding myself walking around with my head tilted 45 degrees to the left after playing with this synth for a few hours. :lol:
Great work!

Thanks guys!

Dan
dawman

Post by dawman »

Reaper seems to be perfect for this.
MIDI, Audio, Video, FX and the plug in get a dedicated channel.
Can’t wait to mess with this.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

yayajohn wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:50 pm I like that both UI's stay synced now which I guess means the snapshot feature is sort of obsolete now maybe?
I suspect there are some scenarios in which snapshot could be relevant, but until people start using it we won't know really how much. I'd definitely be interested to know how people get on with the fact that whichever side (Plugin vs. Scope) loads last overrides values. It should work out once you're used to it, but I know everyone has different ways of working. We put a lot of time into making sure Project/Preset load works both in Scope and DAWs, but there's always edge cases!
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

P.S. I'll let Roy respond re. UI, but I have some ideas on making it even easier to use the matrix, which are on the to-do list. Please feel free to suggest any more though, so I can think about them when I get to it. I was planning to make the cross-hairs snap to the grid rather than be free-form and also try to find a way that the relevant labels are highlighted somehow. Not totally trivial though, so I'll need to give it some thought!
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

petal wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 am But, I have to load the VST-plugin in an audio channel, and then I need to send midi motes from a midi channel, so that makes the midi notes seperate from the parameter-control. Is this by design or the only way to do it?
I released a new version last night that might help with this. It now behaves as an Effect plugin, rather than an Instrument. Slightly counter-intuitive obviously, but in terms of how DAWs load plugins it might be a better fit.

For example, with this version in Ableton Live, you can load an External Instrument plugin into a MIDI track to pass MIDI through to Scope and then load the CMS-1 plugin as an audio effect in the chain after it to control the synth.

I'll send a screenshot and more info later, in case that didn't make any sense!!
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Last edited by roy thinnes on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
petal

Post by petal »

Ahh, yeah ok I see. Sorry about the fuzz :)