Yet Another Moog - the Grandmother of them all

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Yet Another Moog - the Grandmother of them all

Post by dante »

Looks cool. https://www.moogmusic.com/news/introducing-grandmother
Grnadmother
Grnadmother
2.jpg (303.68 KiB) Viewed 6434 times
Last edited by dante on Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Re: Yet Another Moog - the Gandmother of them all

Post by dawman »

They’ll never quit milking success until they fail.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Maybe Radio Shack will carry Moogs again :)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I love my Moog Rogue so this is kind of tempting.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Get an SE-02.
I smack around my guitarist and bassist on one of these.
It’s a Mini clone plus.
Feedback and filter routings give it really aggressive tones.
New PWM firmware update gives it that big thick PWM PMod Tom Sawyer tone.
It’s really for live work on bass & lead.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

dawman wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:34 am I smack around my guitarist and bassist on one of these.
I have a Moog Taurus 3 for that job! :D
Marco

Post by Marco »

If you want a synth with Moog as a brand, then get it the grandmother is a value discounter! If you want a Moog only because of the real sound, get a boog (behringer model d) and enjoy it's Sound!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Beatutiful concept and hardware
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

I´m still waiting for the "Grandfarter" !

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Ambient Source

Post by Ambient Source »

I have 2 Behringer Model D's, and i just love the sound, my best buy in years :-)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Ambient Source wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 am I have 2 Behringer Model D's, and i just love the sound, my best buy in years :-)
All buying decisions come w/ big compromizes meanwhile.

While the B´s Model D sounds really good, it comes w/ some disadvantages I don´t understand:

1.)
No velocity sensitivity for VCF and VCA over MIDI ...

But this is what I stil have w/ my vintage MOOG Minimoog D and the vintage Roland MPU-101 MIDI/CV interface !

2.)
Since the latest update,- adjusting pitchbend range via sysex command and for usage as a MIDI soundmodule is history (not possible anymore).
Now, the pitchbend range varies from model to model,- some come w/ a range being close to the original MInimoog D´s range,- others come w/ nearly 1 octave up/down ... what a mess !
What´s up when prefering a 5th ???

Last but not least,- no preset memory in opposite to the Roland/ Studio Electronics SE-02 ...

I dunno if the SE-02 works better in regards of velocity sensitivity and pitchbend range adjustment, but also the SE-02 is not the holy grail,- at least for me.
It´s just only much too tiny when prefering usage of real knobs vs a software editor app.
I also hate it doesn´t fit and work in a Eurorack case.

Bud
dawman

Re: Yet Another Moog - the Grandmother of them all

Post by dawman »

Grandpa Moogs are offensive.
Misogyny Sexism, and Gramps is most likely a racist too.

As a white supremaphobe this is my conclusion.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Ambient Source wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 am I have 2 Behringer Model D's, and i just love the sound, my best buy in years :-)
I have one model d and it is Phantastic. I already preordered the new Neutron!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Ambient Source

Post by Ambient Source »

Marco wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:40 pm
I have one model d and it is Phantastic. I already preordered the new Neutron!
I want the Neutron too, but I'm thinking of getting another 2 model d's and racking them,
but what i'm most looking forward too is the VCS 3 clone and the Prophet 5 clone (coming next year, I've been told :-) )
Marco

Post by Marco »

For my Situation the uhe pro 5 is. Good enough. I have to much Hardware. But the neutron had a chance. I guess this will be my last synthesizer. I have to much of all. I never sell my stuff, so it cumulates.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

So, why bother with the various Model D over the Sonic Core one? It seems to serve my purposes for everything the model D could do, and then takes it further.
Ambient Source

Post by Ambient Source »

To be honest ,the Model D sounds so much better to me than the minimax, same goes for the my Prophet 6 and the Profit 5,
dont get wrong, I still use my scope synths but the hardware just sounds better
Marco

Post by Marco »

Ambient Source wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:10 am To be honest ,the Model D sounds so much better to me than the minimax, same goes for the my Prophet 6 and the Profit 5,
dont get wrong, I still use my scope synths but the hardware just sounds better
When you compare it directly, I did this too, you are right. That's why I have the Hardware too. But the sonic core synthesizers are a good variation while I produce a Song. I never see one synthesizer as a whole thing, it's just one atom of a whole musical product.

And within a specific musical context, the sonic core synthesizers have been always very good Partner.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Ambient Source wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:10 am To be honest ,the Model D sounds so much better to me than the minimax,...

Look, I own a original vintage Minimoog D and in the past I owned 3, used ´em in studios and gigged heavily w/ ´em.
I´d never say "Minimoog D" sounds BETTER than Minimax,- or even B. Model D.

In fact, all my Minimoog Ds sounded slightly different and every modeled synth sounds (hopefully) very close to the piece of gear it´s modeled after.
With the experience of a very long time studio- and touring musician, I don´t look for sound only, I also look for functionality when buying new and reliability is much more important.

I don´t expect a piece of EUR 350,- hardware will last very long and we´ll see how long it needs until it changes it´s sound and runs out of calibration and specs by age.
I already heard stories of tuning instabilities because of high temperature drift and the lack of velocitiy sensitivity over MIDI for VCF and VCA is what I don´t understand ´cause the Studioelectronics rackmount "MIDIMOOG" (composed from orig. Minimoog parts) and "MIDIMINI" did that already and together w/ soft/ hard-sync options (and other gimmicks).
It´s so stupid releasing a MIDI module and then there´s no veloctity sensitivity today.

Minimax doesn´t sound exactly like my Minimoog D, but it also has some advantages OVER the Minimoog D I won´t miss anymore.
Preset management responding on MIDI program changes, velocity sensitivity, user selectable polyphony, built in FX,- and it sounds very good for a lot of "MOOG"-type sounds.
OTOH, it cannot replace EVERY MOOG-type sound 1:1 in direct comparisons, but in a mix/ band context, it works like a charme.
Ambient Source wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:10 am same goes for the my Prophet 6 and the Profit 5
Sorry, I cannot agree w/ that.
I owned 2 Prophet 5 in the past for the same usage I discribed for the Minimoogs above.
Late 70s and throughout the 80s, a Prophet 5 was in my rig always,- 1st a unreliable rev2 followed by a rev3 model.

When I sold the Prophets, I didn´t regret until today.

Profit5 sounds very, very good to my ears and does everything I did w/ the original Prophet.
And I also use John Bowen´s ZARG Prowave which is excellent too.
These synths sound great IMO !

Prodyssey, Protone and ZARG ProOne too.

What I miss in SCOPE is some oberheimish sounding polysynth device incl. the Oberheim type portamento modes and SEM´s state variable multimode filter, freerun OSCs w/ at least 3 (better 5) ENVs and 4-5 LFOs, all freerun on demand too.
Ambient Source wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:10 am dont get wrong, I still use my scope synths but the hardware just sounds better
Sometimes yes, but not always.

Bud