Dave Smith Instruments & 8DIO Sequential Prophet X

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Re: Dave Smith Instruments & 8DIO Sequential Prophet X

Post by braincell »

I'm considering it but want to wait for the rack-mount version. I wonder why it's only 16 bit? Maybe the filters make that irrelevant. I like that you will be able to import samples in December but if it's only 16 bit you can import, I would rather make my own samples and mangle them with an H9000.
braincell

Post by braincell »

The soundcloud demos are so generic. I guess I have to try it out at the store before judging it. Still, I like to make my own samples.

https://soundcloud.com/davesmithinstrum ... udio-demos
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

braincell wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:49 pm I'm considering it but want to wait for the rack-mount version. I wonder why it's only 16 bit? Maybe the filters make that irrelevant. I like that you will be able to import samples in December but if it's only 16 bit you can import, I would rather make my own samples and mangle them with an H9000.
I understand it is only 16 bits because they have to choose what to do, that is, either have: a higher sample rate compromising functionality, or a lower sampler rate with much powerful overall management in the core of the sounds, effects, building up of layers, etc. It makes sense. It all comes to how using the resources of the instrument without getting crazy in the price, in a world full of possibilities and market competition.

In the other hand, it gives me again the impression that super high sample rates is not the most important consideration when doing music anyway, otherwise they would never had released such an instrument in the first place in a moment when the whole market “seems” to want to go up with sample rates.

This shows you that the main reason for “sample rate rise” is a commercial issue, not a “sound quality” one despite the fact you actually can achieve some more sharpness out of it. My two cents.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
dawman

Post by dawman »

Does it have Digital I/O?
If yes, then importing 16bit makes even more sense.
My old Mirage and Emulators were 8 Bit, S760s 16 Bit, all of them sounded great.

I’m wanting more Oscillators though.
And a rack mount too.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

My Korg DSS-1 is a 12/16bit sampler with analog filters, and damn it's the finest combo of cream and grit I've ever heard.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I'm thinking the great analogue filters make up for the low bit depth, still I wonder. I guess I will have to try it in the store and thankfully, my local store will carry this. The other prophets sound fantastic.
valis

Post by valis »

Bit depth has to do with signal:noise aka noise floor, the filters don’t matter there. You are unlikely to be mixing enough samples (playing enough notes) with a wide enough dynamic range for the noisefloor of 16buts to matter here.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I'd bet the samples are 16bit, but all processing is either 24 or 32bit anyway (DSPs just don't do much as 16b accumulation naturally), so the output of the oscillators after pitch shifting is still 24/32b. Still, the filters add another level of smoothing, and some of the best samples I have (once paired with the analog filters) are 12bit.
braincell

Post by braincell »

jksuperstar wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 am I'd bet the samples are 16bit, but all processing is either 24 or 32bit anyway (DSPs just don't do much as 16b accumulation naturally), so the output of the oscillators after pitch shifting is still 24/32b. Still, the filters add another level of smoothing, and some of the best samples I have (once paired with the analog filters) are 12bit.
Good point plus the D/A converters are specialized for this synthesizer I imagine. There is some magic it it somewhere.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I tried one of those amazing Emulators back in 1989, the sound was so advanced and wonderful that everyone in the shop would come together in front of it while putting amazement faces, including me. It was kind of an extraterrestrial experience. Yes, only 16 ibts.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Great demo here. I'm sold! I would not buy this if not for the future sample import feature.

https://youtu.be/0lRKaWEHYR4
petal

Post by petal »

Yeah - I find it interesting as well, but the price is "naughty".

There are quite a few interesting demos here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +Prophet+X

About the future sample import feature, if this is important to you, then maybe you should wait until they have actually implemented that exact feature. Importing your own samples was also promised for the Tempest, but was never implemented.
braincell

Post by braincell »

petal wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:24 am Yeah - I find it interesting as well, but the price is "naughty".

There are quite a few interesting demos here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +Prophet+X

About the future sample import feature, if this is important to you, then maybe you should wait until they have actually implemented that exact feature. Importing your own samples was also promised for the Tempest, but was never implemented.
Good point. I should wait. The import feature is promised in December but they could push that up also I am hoping fort a rack version. No word on that.
braincell

Post by braincell »

This from their website:

"Fifty gigabytes of additional internal storage is dedicated to importing external sample libraries. Support for user-created samples is planned for December 2018. Add-on sample packs are available from 8Dio on product release."

Seems like they are serious. I don't think they would post this if it wasn't in the works. It's a long way off but maybe it would be good to have time to learn it well.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow, fantastic, amazing sounds... unusual things coming out of it. I have gone through other very interesting demos too, no waist at all.

Now... :o what the hell is this glass of watter doing onto the keyboard, if it is spilled by accident it could cost you a bad short and the end of the fun! :cry:

I would get this keyboard with my eyes closed!

If you are looking for a mountain of CREATIVITY and new posibilities, I don't think you can go farther than this! It is absolutely great!!! Again, I would buy it closed eyes! :)
braincell

Post by braincell »

The USB slot is specifically for sample importing via thumb drive.