Cakewalk for less! SONAR is Freeware now!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Cakewalk for less! SONAR is Freeware now!

Post by Marco »

Sonar was renamed back into Cakewalk and it is Freeware now! :o Welcome Robinhood?

Unbelievable but true!!! :-? :D :) :wink: :wink: :roll:

http://www.chip.de/news/Ab-sofort-koste ... 34604.html
Last edited by Marco on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Nestor

Re: Cakewalk for less! SONAR is Freeware now!

Post by Nestor »

This is pretty unusual… it does not makes sense in terms of business. Why would a company do this? Independently of what they could say publicly, there must be a move behind it toward something…
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Developers and support in Singapore cost way less than USA. Just as good. I don't believe Cakewalk will be their flagship product but who knows, Sonar is a very worthy DAW. So far this is Sonar with no frills. Perhaps they will sell the Sonar palette of VSTs and add-ons (Dimension, Rapture, etc.) to make money, I don't know. Perhaps it will be BandLab. So far so good for now.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Could it become a Google app for the future to start with?
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

G :o :o gle is the NSA/CIA/NWO. Remember they changed the company name to ALPHABET. Lose Google. Use DuckDuckGo over Tor with a VPN and don't use G :o :o gle$ DNS.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Since the went bankrupt, this is one way to get a new core base of customers established, who then buy into upgrades and expansions instead of the base price of the daw.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

When any company "offers" anything, it is ALWAYS in order to get more money in some other way. I don't know any exception.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

When the service is free YOU are the product. Maybe the info you give them they sell to others to target you for other products related to your style of music, type of plugins, etc. Just sayin'. They have a treasure trove of data to mine from the Cakewalk blog.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

If there was only that much money o be made in music gear. Better off selling tires on the corner...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Whichever way, Calwalk Sonar is a serious contender facing any modern DAW, even Cubase. A very daring move...
valis

Post by valis »

ronnie wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:13 am G :o :o gle is the NSA/CIA/NWO. Remember they changed the company name to ALPHABET. Lose Google. Use DuckDuckGo over Tor with a VPN and don't use G :o :o gle$ DNS.
Let's discuss this in a separate thread, I'll start one called 'privacy in 2018' now.
valis

Post by valis »

In regards to Cakewalk coming back, I think it's a sign of the times when a mobile app developer 'rescues' what was once an expensive flagship DAW and offers it as a way to get more users on their mobile platform. And I agree with the sentiment that development overseas costs a fraction of what it costs in the US/UK/Eu. This part is a no-brainer, almost all of the people I deal with from VFX work to Web & App development outsource as much of the low level work as possible overseas these days.