XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21707
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by garyb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 am

super impressive!
overkill to the max!

look the motherboard and processors up! there isn't much newer....

User avatar
JoPo
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
Contact:

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by JoPo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 am

So... this xeon config could be a very good choice for an audio workstation machine, right ?

I don't play a single computer game. I7 or i9 are more for gamers and xeon for people like us : using computers for audio application ? And a double CPU is very mouth-watering !

So... X99 = ok for Xite - Intel® C621 too...
And X299 ? Do you have some info about that one ?
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21707
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by garyb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am

no, i don't have anything about X299, but it probably works.

yes, it COULD be a great audio workstation platform, but it's pretty freakin expensive, and probably isn't worth the extra money vs. realworld performance, but if you have the money, it's just about the most powerful thing out there right now. i wouldn't be surprised if more conventional setups actually did about the same amount of work, with the current software.

User avatar
JoPo
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
Contact:

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by JoPo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 am

garyb wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am
i wouldn't be surprised if more conventional setups actually did about the same amount of work, with the current software.
Yes... If we wait enough time. Just like a simple actual pc does much more thant a 20 years old double CPU. It's the way computers goes ! But I'd like to buy a new amazing config now ! And without mistake for my Xite-1 to work perfectly !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21707
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by garyb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 am

no, i mean right now, the latest regular i7s are probably going to do a similar amount of work as this mega system. computers have not been advancing as quickly, lately. actually, the XEONs in the system in question are only x86 processors in the lower end of the line. the upper end of the line are a different type of processor altogether. that is probably where things may go. all your software requires an x86 processor, currently, afaik.

in any case, i would not spend too much time worrying about this. if you have $2500 for parts, and an extended atx case(huge), then this might be the route for you. otherwise, i would use z270/370, because that is super fast, powerful, affordable, and has been tested.

if you go for cutting edge technology, there are no sure bets. very few people can afford to test for fun, i surely cannot. :)

User avatar
JoPo
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
Contact:

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by JoPo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:38 am

After reading what differences there are etween x99 & x299, I conclued that if Xite works correctly on z99 it should be the same on x299...
There are only few differences : https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... rence-979/

Am I completly wrong ??
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <

dawman
Posts: 13274
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by dawman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm

garyb wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:44 pm
a client of mine just built a new computer. he reports happiness....

Supermicro X11DAi-N (Intel® C621 chipset)
Two Intel Xeon Silver 4110 8Core 2.1GHz Processor(yes, dual processor Xeon Scalable!)

this is about as new as can be found...
SirBill has his old motherboard and Dual Xeons on eBay bidding right now.
Same guy?
Xeon 600 Series Chipsets are where all HEDT Chips com from.
X99s should be compatible.

User avatar
Mr Arkadin
Posts: 3235
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm

motherboard: ASUS Z97 Pro
chipset: Intel 9 Series
processor: i7-4790K overclocked at 4.0GHz
RAM: 16GB
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX970
OS: Windows 7 64-bit
Does it work? (i.e., GREAT!, NOT AT ALL!, Occasional Glitches, Frequent Glitches): Great.

XITE-only or XITE+ScopePCI (please list): XITE-1

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21707
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by garyb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm

dawman wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm
garyb wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:44 pm
a client of mine just built a new computer. he reports happiness....

Supermicro X11DAi-N (Intel® C621 chipset)
Two Intel Xeon Silver 4110 8Core 2.1GHz Processor(yes, dual processor Xeon Scalable!)

this is about as new as can be found...
SirBill has his old motherboard and Dual Xeons on eBay bidding right now.
Same guy?
Xeon 600 Series Chipsets are where all HEDT Chips com from.
X99s should be compatible.
yes, same guy...

User avatar
Mr Arkadin
Posts: 3235
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm

dawman wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm

X99s should be compatible.
I had a terrible experience with X99s...

dawman
Posts: 13274
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by dawman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 pm

I know, others did too.
The Quad Channel RAM is the only difference, and additional PCI-e lanes.
Those same configuration are in X370s and Xeon Chipsets so it seems those issues might have been addressed in Scope 7.

dawman
Posts: 13274
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by dawman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm
motherboard: ASUS Z97 Pro
chipset: Intel 9 Series
processor: i7-4790K overclocked at 4.0GHz
RAM: 16GB
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX970
OS: Windows 7 64-bit
Does it work? (i.e., GREAT!, NOT AT ALL!, Occasional Glitches, Frequent Glitches): Great.

XITE-only or XITE+ScopePCI (please list): XITE-1
4.0GHz is stock speed for the i7 4790k. No overclocking.
If you have the i7 4790 or i7 4790S those are 3.6GHz and supposedly locked, not able to overclock, but Intel is full of shit.
I overclocked them to 4.0GHz with no extra heat, and a minuscule voltage increase.

You should have no problems with Z97 Chips or the i7 4790k CPU.
I’ve got 4 x PCs using the same Chips, only cheaper ASRock H97 on one that works better from less gunk I’d never use.
I use the onboard graphics too.
No need for GFX card unless your gaming.

Good solid performance from Devils Canyon CPUs.

User avatar
Mr Arkadin
Posts: 3235
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by Mr Arkadin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 am

dawman wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm
Mr Arkadin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm
motherboard: ASUS Z97 Pro
chipset: Intel 9 Series
processor: i7-4790K overclocked at 4.0GHz
RAM: 16GB
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX970
OS: Windows 7 64-bit
Does it work? (i.e., GREAT!, NOT AT ALL!, Occasional Glitches, Frequent Glitches): Great.

XITE-only or XITE+ScopePCI (please list): XITE-1
4.0GHz is stock speed for the i7 4790k. No overclocking.
If you have the i7 4790 or i7 4790S those are 3.6GHz and supposedly locked, not able to overclock, but Intel is full of shit.
I was doing that off memory tbh. Actually I just looked at the original spec I ordered and they were supposed to be overclocked to 4.2GHz, but the Windows inspector only shows 4.0, so maybe it didn't get done at the factory or maybe the Windows thing is only showing the stock spec.

dawman
Posts: 13274
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by dawman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Which Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter allows a laptop with no Express 34 slot to connect to an Xite-1..?

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21707
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by garyb » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:11 pm

sonnet technologies, according to a few users...

User avatar
JoPo
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
Contact:

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by JoPo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:46 am

Mr Arkadin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm

I had a terrible experience with X99s...
I remember that ! But it was long time ago. BIOS and Scope have been updated, since.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <

User avatar
Mr Arkadin
Posts: 3235
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by Mr Arkadin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:26 am

JoPo wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:46 am
Mr Arkadin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm

I had a terrible experience with X99s...
I remember that ! But it was long time ago. BIOS and Scope have been updated, since.
Yes, but has anyone actually tried an X99 since then? Would be good to hear someone's experience - maybe I missed a thread on it.

User avatar
JoPo
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
Contact:

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by JoPo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Yes ! In this one !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <

Post Reply