Check your sound with added FX without the gain the FX added

Patch files for the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Check your sound with added FX without the gain the FX added

Post by JoPo »

Hi all !

I'm very pride to present you a new modular patch. That one trys to compensate the amplitude difference between 2 signals.
What I wanted to achieve is to have a basic gain compensator which allows to check what addition of fx processor produces more exactly to the sound by eliminating the level increased by the fx processor.
So, it compares the signal amplitude before the fx processor with the signal amplitude after the fx processor, then brings down the gain and trys to get around the same amplitude as the signal before the fx processor.
In this way, you can really hear if the addition of the fx improves the sound as you wish : sometimes you may think it's better and the reason is just because it's louder.

Compensate.jpg
Compensate.jpg (107.41 KiB) Viewed 9868 times
Compar&adjust 2 levels.rar
(491.12 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
When I'm mastering a project, I find useful to make this comparaison.

You MUST plug the lower signal on audio inputs 1 & 2 and the louder on 3 & 4. The output are 1 & 2. Keep in mind that the sidechain signal is taken ONLY on the input 1. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to make different gain reductions on left & right channels.

The "choose" button has 3 position : 1 = before processed signal - 2 = after processed signal - 3 = signal with gain difference removed (as far as possible ! :D )

You need BCmodular collection + Ocean Swift for the free note modules. And it's done in a 4x4 shell, so, I believe you need modular IV.

Ok... There are some vst's that are doing the same with certainly much better processing than my basic one... But there is no such plugin for Scope (or I never heard of it) - (and I always make my mastering process in Scope). If someone of the Scope community developers would build a good, professionnal one, it would be awesome and useful !
I advice to not touch any parameters in the patch ! Or if you really want to, add some level meters to check if the input 1 and output 1 levels are still around the same !

Cheers !
Last edited by JoPo on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Re: Gain compensating.

Post by dawman »

Ankyu.
I’ll try this with FX in the routing window, external too.
JoPo

Re: Check your sound with added FX without the gain the FX added

Post by JoPo »

I hope it will work as expected ! i tried to build a basic feature like this :
http://www.meterplugs.com/perception

Of course, it's certainly less elaborate but for me, it does the job. If anyone who knows maths in audio signals better than I do has some ideas to improve it, I would be grateful ! :) Such a perfect tool would be very useful in Scope ! Specialy done with SDK and becomes a real Scope device instead of a modular patch !

Today, I've made some other test. I was afraid that seting longer attac & release to the envelope followers would mess up the gain compensation. But to have too short attac & release is awful for the sound to listen and conséquently useless to compare the sound with FX without the added gain.
So I set much longer attac & release and it still works well without too fast gain changes.

You can get the preset file I made. There are 4 preset = 1 to 4, the 1° is the same as the patch and 2 --> 4 the attac & release time increase.
Compensate gain preset.rar
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <