Noah Not Making Any Sound...

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

paugui

Noah Not Making Any Sound...

Post by paugui »

So, I got my Creamware Noah EX today but am unable to make it sound...

The synth itself looks like in new condition (I think it's basically a NOS product, with very minimal use), but while I can connect it to the computer and it seems to receive MIDI, no sound comes out of it...

When it starts, I noticed that, before it shows me the presets, it displays "ACK Timeout".
Is this a sign of a problem?

The person I got it from wasn't sure how to use it, but he told me he took it to a studio where they told him everything was ok...
Since the price was really low, I would be ok even if it had some minor flaws, but as right now I am actually unable to take anything out of it...

I see the volume is at the maximum, but clicking on the volume knob doesn't make it play the demo sequence it is supposed to (or at least, I can't hear it using the headphones, main outputs or even the USB Audio in Ableton).

Also, since I haven't used my other Noah for a long while, I am unsure if it is supposed to be very slow changing presets and even the buttons on the right side of the panel seem to be really slow responding...

Anyone has any idea what can be the problem?
paugui

Re: Noah Not Making Any Sound...

Post by paugui »

To complement the previous information, my Creamware Noah EX features OS 1.4.23.

From what I could find in this other post - http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?t=32834 - I should be able to fix the problem by reinstalling the OS, right?

If that's it, it's not a big deal, as I don't think I have the latest version and would like to get the synths that aren't featured on it.

Could anyone confirm if this should be it, or can it be something a bit deeper?

Would be a huge relief to know a simple OS update would fix all the problems! :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

the NOAH is a computer.
if the software is corrupted, it won't work right. since you have an error message and no sound, it's certainly worth a try to reload the software.

if it's a hardware problem, you might be S.O.L....
3dcandy

Post by 3dcandy »

OS update should fix it ;)
Remember older version of osx and Win work best
paugui

Post by paugui »

So... It has been quite a while, but finally I got a friend fo mine who has an old computer to take it and try to re-install the OS.

To make sure that there is no mistake, where can I find the files I should use to re-install the OS?
And is there any walkthrough on how to get it done properly?

I'm just asking as it is taking some space, and if it really doesn't work, I would probably like to sell it, but don't really want to sell it if it's just not working due to some stupid mistake... :S

Thanks in advance, best regards to all
Paulo
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

I have owned a Noah EX since 2007 and have on a few occasions needed to reinstall the OS. You will need a software to reprogram the Flash memory, hopefully this is available on the SC webside. Then you will need the full software for your computer, preferably v 1.1, but it sounds like you already have this. During install, you will need to point to the file that contains the serialnumber. I may be mistanken here since SC may have released a NO-KEYS version that installs the software and the main synths without requesting licence.

Hope you succeed. I used mine last night and it still sounds awsome. I make multi synth setups and use it in conjunction with Ableton live. The sound palette is perfect for modern electronic music in any genre.

Neb
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »