Uliheim

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Uliheim

Post by yayajohn »

Just in case any of you haven't heard the news.......

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... sizer.html
Marco

Re: Uliheim

Post by Marco »

The DM12 debut from Behringer was not what I expected. It sounds not really like an good old analog machine, more like a moderne VA Synth. I testet in the store, and it bored me to Play on it. The sliders are cheapest crap and I would rather buy a VA Synth than the DM12. So I didnt buy that. Instead I decided to buy an old 1995 Korg Z1, much much cheaper, and much much better build Quality and SOUND. 100% Digital VA with several a VA modells, and a really great Sound. It can Sound analog too, but it can do so many Special things and the plenty Controllers can be used to tweak and bend the Sound into a total differnt direction. It makes changes I have never heard before, and so complex.

Somebody said, Uli shoud make a new Brand Name for his synths, to give it a new Chance in product Quality, but whats up with bugera? I have 3 Bugera amps, 2 are dead, and Im really very very angry..............YES the fucking warrenty is off. No matter how they Name the synth Company, I expect a Long life time for the Money of a product. Or they can call thier Company "Eintagsfliege", nice name but true!

I dont know the OB, I do not wait, but when it Comes, I will have a very critical look on it. At this time we will hear, how many DM12 have died.....noone can really repair because of its complexity, you can throw into the garbage. Who will ever repair this??? AND who will ever repair an Alesis Andromeda for used Price 2600€???? Alesis? NEVER!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Shears Electronics just sent me a pdf on the OB-X from NAMM 2017. New design, some extra parts. Etc.
Think I’ll get that one as I’m still not a Behringer synth lover.
DM12 was so-so in sound and build quality.

I bet Behringer CAT will be nice.
It’s a design I’ve longed for.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

dawman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 pm Shears Electronics just sent me a pdf on the OB-X from NAMM 2017. New design, some extra parts. Etc.
Think I’ll get that one as I’m still not a Behringer synth lover.
DM12 was so-so in sound and build quality.

I bet Behringer CAT will be nice.
It’s a design I’ve longed for.
What's the cost of that? Don't recall what he quoted on the videoat NAMM
Can't seem to find anything else except a sparse website.
Has he delivered any yet?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I think it's a smart move. Not specifically the synth itself or the fact that it's analog, but the fact that they're going for a more open interactive (at least it appears so) development process. That's straight out of contemporary startup dev style, building a community, doing PR, and market validation all at the same time. It's contemporary but also massively conservative IMHO, since if done correctly this could maximally reduce risk. But it's still a bet since letting the community feel a sense of ownership of the product could turn sideways very quickly. I think it takes guts for an established player like Behringer to adopt a new to-market strategy like this.
dawman

Post by dawman »

4000 for the Shears units once they start production.
These are hand made and will surely not be for everyone, unless you really want that sound.

Ulli B. Is really doing things wisely.
I wish him big success.
But I’d rather pay more for a really quality product.
Hope they listen to consumers there...
valis

Post by valis »

Korg & Roland aren't scared, but everyone else is going to have to stay at the botique & high end once Ulli has all his replicas on the market.
dawman

Post by dawman »

valis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm Korg & Roland aren't scared, but everyone else is going to have to stay at the botique & high end once Ulli has all his replicas on the market.
True that.
He’ll be setting prices and has the market cornered.
At his prices build quality is of little concern.
Just get the Filters and Oscillators to sound close.

Roland really hit home runs with th SE-02 and D-05.
Huge sound, much better than other Boutiques.

As long as the sound is there, we won’t care who makes it.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well I tried out a DM12 last year. It was ok sounding but didn't really impress me. Prob because the Arturia Matrixbrute was sitting right next to it :D
Well I certainly have nothing against Behringer, I still use an MX8000 that I've had for 21yrs. I've always loved the OB-x's ever since I demo'd one when i was a kid but could never afford one and now....forget it, no way am i going to buy a maintenance nightmare and I don't have any space left :lol:
To me, DSI's OB-6 is overpriced. 8 voices maybe I'd pay that much.
I've had a REV2 since this summer and I am really happy with it.
If the MIDAS crew does this one really good I might be tempted.
valis

Post by valis »

Rev2 appeals to me too, though I'm not in the market nor do i have space atm (would have to purge something).
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ulli just needs to get the Oscillators and Oberheim Filters down.
Keep the crappy FX and use digital EGs and LFOs to cut corners.

So far with all “analog” synths I’ve played the best fatness I’ve heard is the SE-02s.
I haven’t messed with a Brute or Pioneer Mono synth but folks seem thrilled.

Biggest complaint about the SE-02 is the overly authentic Moog Ladder that drops gain levels by 12db when using extreme resonance/contour.

Guess they don’t have the RoyT 24db gain Device with MIDI + screenset capability.
These dudes all got their panties in a knot over this.
When I showed them how I use 2 x SE-02s each with a 24db gain via MIDI they acted like I was a genius or something.

All children are artists.
The trick is how to remain a curious child once you’ve grown up.