New Motherboard with PCI?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

maak

New Motherboard with PCI?

Post by maak »

Hi
I have been running a Creamware Luna II PCI card with Creamware 3 x ADAT C-Plate and Creamware A16 Ultra (scope 5.1) here in New Zealand for many years.

My computer is dying and many new motherboards don't support PCI or have both PCI and PCIe. Do I continue to find support for the older scope system or jump ship? I love the A16.

Does anyone know if this Motherboard will work with the luna? Or 'should' work? Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H micro-ATX.
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro ... id=5489#ov

I have heard of a few peeps having success with a PCIe to PCI converter and running the pulsar cards externally but that sounds fiddly and likely to have issues.

My only other solution seems to be to be to find some other sound card that enables me to use my A16 Ultra. I can't justify buying an XITE. Losing scope will be sad but does anyone know any smaller/cheaper external (usb) audio devices that will let me use the A16 Ultra?
garyb

Re: New Motherboard with PCI?

Post by garyb »

it'll probably work fine.
a better choice would be one generation back and get a Z97 board with a socket 1150 processor. it'll still be plenty of power, but i think you'll find that folks running Z170 with PCI cards claiming good results in the masterverb thread. i think Z170 may have issues with XITE, but PCI cards are good.

PCI has been "obsolete" for some time now. computers have been plenty powerful enough for some time now. it's not that hard to put the card in a system that it will be happy in.
maak

Post by maak »

Thanks @garyb for the reply

The new computer will be my only PC not just audio so i will need it to be as fast and up-to-date as I can afford now...and fanless. This is a lot easier to achieve for reasonable $$ now than it was 15-20 years ago
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hello Maak,

What are the computer suppliers like where you are? - Amazon is good too!

It may be an idea to look for some motherboards with PCI on - socket 1150 which is now gone had Asus B85 Pro Gamer lower end board with 3 pci slots on. MSI Z97 G43 again low ish cost board 3pci slots on 1150 - In UK these boards got 9/10 & 10/10 for goodness and value.

Socket 1151 has pci slots on some of the boards as well Asus B150 Pro Gamer D3 socket has two or three pci slots on. There are other Asus boards as well on 1151.

MSI 170A Tomahawk 2 pci 1151
MSI H170 GAMING M3 Socket 1151

I've not looked at Gigabyte but looking online you could find the boards that have PCI slots if you really need one because there are options but it is a niggle to keep searching sometimes.

You don't need to lose Scope, no way :x - Get on Amazon and compare with your local suppliers with good online websites to compare.

Look on Asus, Gigabyte, MSI etc......or what ever your favourite motherboards are - Asus.com MSI.com etc.....and search through the boards by socket 1150, 1151

I've searched myself because PCI will be going and when it's gone it's gone - Maybe get a couple spare motherboards with enough RAM as DDR3 will go eventually - Cover the bases and save your Scope system - Hope this info helps -

From what I've read the MSI Z97 G43 motherboard got 10/10 from customers on it's website - This is me quoting other sources not me giving it 10/10 but other people so if this is correct it will be difficult to find a motherboard as good and its got 3 PCI slots - I've got one :wink:
Last edited by fraz on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:it'll probably work fine.
a better choice would be one generation back and get a Z97 board with a socket 1150 processor. it'll still be plenty of power, but i think you'll find that folks running Z170 with PCI cards claiming good results in the masterverb thread. i think Z170 may have issues with XITE, but PCI cards are good.

PCI has been "obsolete" for some time now. computers have been plenty powerful enough for some time now. it's not that hard to put the card in a system that it will be happy in.
Odd isn't it?

Socket 1155 Z77 had issues with PCI cards but it worked on Xite quite well, now you mention Z-170 has issues with Xite but works well with PCI !
garyb

Post by garyb »

yep.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:yep.
I don't have any Z-170 socket 1151 - But have socket 1150, 2011 v1, 2011 v3, 1155 Z77, 775

How bout you Gary what's your line up?
fraz

Post by fraz »

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Socket 1150 HDMI DVI mATX Motherboard = 2 pci slots
Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 Socket 1150 DVI HDMI 7.1 channel Audio Micro ATX Motherboard = 2 pci slots

Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 Socket 1150 HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard = 2 pci slots

Just had a quick look for you Maak as I figure you may like Gigabyte boards more than others, just in case here are some more
garyb

Post by garyb »

fraz wrote:
garyb wrote:yep.
I don't have any Z-170 socket 1151 - But have socket 1150, 2011 v1, 2011 v3, 1155 Z77, 775

How bout you Gary what's your line up?
i have an older core2 duo 775 and a 1150 i3.
freiburg

Post by freiburg »

fraz wrote:
garyb wrote:it'll probably work fine.

Socket 1155 Z77 had issues with PCI cards but it worked on Xite quite well, now you mention Z-170 has issues with Xite but works well with PCI !

There are a number of motherboards out there with 1155 socket and Q77 Chipset. These should work fine, shouldn't they? Q77 has native PCI support.

It's really not easy to come to a safe conclusion. I am using Scope 7 with a Pulsar I and a Pulsar SRB on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L. I want to upgrade my system in the coming months and of course keep my Scope hardware for hopefully many years.

There quite a number of Intel server chipsets that have native PCI support:
C224, C222, C202, C204, C206, C216, C608, C606, C604, C602J, C602.

Mainboards using them are more expensive, but probably a good choice....

Christian