Modulators

Support & Discussion for Modular Mixer v2

Moderators: valis, spacef

dawman

Modulators

Post by dawman »

Will there be new Modulators in vers. II?

Ankyu
spacef

Re: Modulators

Post by spacef »

There are 3 modulators , which are just the same as in Modulare Mixer v 1 , except a slight re-design for "Modulators " .

There should be a sequencer too (Logiquencer) but for later (it's more a geter/triggerer: it is compatible with Korg MS20 ESP and with OSS "OS 20").. It will be released sepearetely (either as a free add-on or in the filter/effect package when ready)..

I did not do more for the moment due to lack of time, and right now, all i need is a good rest (after 3 months non-stop of scope dev...)..

People also use Modular Patches, BC Modular, or even things like Silent Way (expert sleepers) or Mux Modular, or may be even drawing of a waveform in the daw (audio track)... So i did not want to loose time re-inventing the wheel.

== > The "Modulator v1 and V2" have 4 inputs forexternal modulators, which are useable in the modulation crossfader and modulation adder sections, as well as to modulate the Rate of LFO 3.

so far, that's what's inside;
What would you like to see as additional modulators ? Please let me know.
Attachments
Modulators.jpg
Modulators.jpg (304.68 KiB) Viewed 9864 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

This one is for later...
Works great with MS20 and OS20 (as well as any synth with external trigger and volume modulators).
You connect it to trigger inputs and to modulation (for "accent" variation).
As good or better than a step sequencer for gating because what each parameter does can really be surprising and unexpected.
super light in DSP resources, solid timing.
It doesn't manage Picth (at least, not in the MS20 version that is pictured, the MS20 only accepts CV for Pitch (the one from the ESP is quite unuseable).
NB: to use with CV based triggers, you would need a Audio to CV converter such as Expert Sleepers ES 3 "Adat to CV" converter (I don't have one).

But you keep access to the synth keyboard, so you can change notes on the fly, and it will remain synced (no need to play in perfect time to trigger sequences; they will remain perfectly in time).... which is a rather big concern with most step sequencers currently used in synths/vsti, as a few ms inprecision in your playing will kill your groove and make you sound like the lousiest band ever). Logiquencer is based on LBH sequencers which also have this feature.
Attachments
LOGIQUENCER.jpg
LOGIQUENCER.jpg (144.08 KiB) Viewed 9861 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

Great news...

Can’t wait to get them.

Ankyu
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

dawman wrote:Great news...

Can’t wait to get them.
Yeah ! Mixers & modulators look excellent ! I wish all Scope devices like mixers, synths, fx processors had audio input for modulating important parameters with modulation routing features !

Spacef started this and only some Zarg synth have the feature... John Amolochitis added it to his devices too. It's also the best way to send precise & accurate modulation signals from the DAW.
:)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - BRILLIANT ! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - :)
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

What fx work with these modulators in the inserts of the mixers?
spacef

Post by spacef »

For the moment, only BlackBox II filters, RD filters, Echo 4 and Ambient Delay.

It is possible that other developeprs did similar things, but I don't know who. May be some of them will adopt this format in the future?

Anyways, I am preparing some filters and effects but I can't say how long it will take (1 or 2 month max).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Here it mentions modulated filters.

http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1360&lg= ... d_2437=288

What filters are we talking about? Sort of read it as being intergrated.

Sorry if I’m being thick.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

spacef wrote:For the moment, only BlackBox II filters, RD filters, Echo 4 and Ambient Delay.

It is possible that other developeprs did similar things, but I don't know who. May be some of them will adopt this format in the future?

Anyways, I am preparing some filters and effects but I can't say how long it will take (1 or 2 month max).
Ok sweet. Thanks for quick reply. Very happy I have black box 2. Was there ever a manual for black box 2?
spacef

Post by spacef »

Liquid EDGE wrote: Was there ever a manual for black box 2?

a what ? :D

lol, nope, there was the website and the description of each oscillator and filters, and all is lost....

Now if you have questions, just ask, i'll be back after dinner....
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

spacef wrote:For the moment, only BlackBox II filters, RD filters, Echo 4 and Ambient Delay.

Was reading through the manual. It mentions most stock stereo fx can be used as mono to stereo! Is this referring to the sonic core scope stock fx? Can they not be modulated?
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

spacef wrote:
Liquid EDGE wrote: Was there ever a manual for black box 2?

a what ? :D

lol, nope, there was the website and the description of each oscillator and filters, and all is lost....

Now if you have questions, just ask, i'll be back after dinner....
Cool, thanks. Yeah, such a shame the website got hacked. As it did sort of act as a manual.
spacef

Post by spacef »

About Scope effects, and Mono-to-Stereo, in this case you are right they can't be modulated as inserts. In this context, I used **as** Mono-to-Stereo just to refer to the routing inside the device - you can put them to work with the mono input. The modulations depend on each device: the developper must route the external modulation to various destination parameters, and may be include switches to switch between audio and modulation.

It was a way to point to the fact that stereo effects can be loaded into Mono Inserts of Mono Channels. But for them to work, you must put them in Mono Mode, otherwise, as they are loaded inisde a Mono channel, the audio arrives on the Left input, and there is nothing on the right. and you will hear sound only on the left channel. So, modulation or not, a stereo effect loaded into a mono insert of a mono channel must be put in Mono mode.

In fact, defining each insert in Scope is not that easy. It is only recently that I thought about the concept of "Mono to Dual" - it may change a bit the one of "Mono to Stereo" which gives a general idea about what a device can do when used in this mode, but it doesn't mean the effect offers the "real" deal on Mono to Stereo abilities.

-- Mono : the module has 1 physical Input, and 1 output. It cannot be modulated. it is the case of all mono stock inserts.

-- Mono to Dual: a new concept that is two weeks old... is a mono insert that can output the same "mono signal" on both Left and Right at the same time, without any "stereophonic effect/modulation". it may or may not be modulated. A mono to dual effect is interesting because of the lower DSP resources than a stereo device (it's totally mono inside, but outputs the same on L/R channels, and it may or may not have external modulation capabilities).

-- Mono to Stereo: refers to any type of insert that is built as a stereo effect, but on which the Left input is used for audio, and the other one for modulation. It may or may not include modulation inputs for inserts (ie, the Right Channel can be a modulation source rather than an audio source). It may concern any stereo effect that can be put in "mono mode" - which is the case of most stereo stock effects. A "Pure" Mono to Stereo effect must have external modulation. It can be a stereo device that includes a switch to use either modulation or audio on the right channel. It should also load by default in a Mono-to-Stereo configuration. Ambient Delay and Echo 4 are made for this purpose and follow these rules, but they are stereo inside because they can be used in stereo too.
So "Mono to stereo" is a rather large concept, it can be many things. It is not yet a label (may be it should be come an approved label of quality/compatibility!).

-- Stereo : uses both L and R inputs for audio. It doesn't have any external modulation or other fancy stuff because they are generally not thought that way. BUT a stereo effect can have a switch to set it in "'Mono to Stereo" annd use modulations. Ambient Delay and Echo 4 are made as stereo effects with a switch for Mono to Stereo so it can use external modulation on the right input, but they are stereo inside.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

That clears that up, nice one. :)

Look forward to your new filters and fx.

Damn, should of got the delay and echo while on intro offer, funds though!

At least I can dive straight in with the black box 2 filters. Always just use midi cc to wobble stuff about at the moment. But like the idea of having midi triggered modulations going on though.(that is how the modulators work, never used one)

What is it you can modulate?
Pan, volume, insert fx that use this standard of yours?

I’ve not been to my studio space yet so can’t have a play and maybe I’m asking doofus questions.
spacef

Post by spacef »

you can use BlackBox filters inb mono channels, and in stereo channel with one insert with a mono-modulated insert (a routing number where "m" appears near the insert).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Huh?
I’m sure it will make sense once I’m at the studio and load it up.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Which black box 2 filters work with this?
spacef

Post by spacef »

all or most of them at least in mono mode (the drawings with one arrow out to the last insert). Some of them have dual output but not all of them.
The sf-mod filters are pretty cool to use, eventhopugh they can't use external modulations in the current version. They are great to use with delays and experiment with routings, as explained in one of the short tutorial here http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=35198.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Ok. Never really knew much about the modulation and how it works not having a manual.
I’ll experiment. Take it that includes the sat filters?? Just use the right input for modulation. What gets modulated? If only there was a manual for blackbox2.

Anyhows.

Thanks.
spacef

Post by spacef »

It's really easy:

- you load a modulator in the project and connect it to the modular mixer input A/B/C or D.
- then you load a compatible insert (such as the BlackBox filters that you have) in the mixer's channel, insert 2 or 3
- then on the channel where is loaded that insert, you select the right modulation source (A,B,C or D) , and then move the "F" pot to see what it does.

- On mod Mixer v2 The F pot is common to insert 2 and 3. It's cool for stereo effects, or if you want to move the cutoff of two filters at once. Otherwise, to use each filters independantly, you need to set the F pot somewhere between a value of 1 (ie, slightly more than 0) and 12 o'clock position, and use each inserts internal parameters to change the sound to your liking. The best spot for the F pot really depends on the filter and how it is done by the developper, so there is no rule here.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website