Can I expect the STS 3-5000 (x64) to work under W7 x64 ?

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nebukadneser

Can I expect the STS 3-5000 (x64) to work under W7 x64 ?

Post by Nebukadneser »

It seems to have become an established fact here on Planetz that the STS series of samplers do not work under 64bit versions of Windows 7-10. Under Scope 5.1, however, there are samplers listed with the (x64) added to the name. This indicates that an attempt has been made at least by S|C to provide working versions. I have not stress tested the samplers on my system (Win 7 x64), but the other day I was able to load a STS 3000 (x64) and drag and drop several AKAI programs into the sampler without any problem.

So, what is the current state of the samplers - might I expect the x64 versions to work, or are they bound to crash after a while due to inherent coding which is not updated (yet)?

Neb
JoPo

Re: Can I expect the STS 3-5000 (x64) to work under W7 x64 ?

Post by JoPo »

Apparently, it could crash very fast.
In fact, any sample player module/device whether STS sampler or modular sample player module, bsod is ready to jump.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

There's a note on the shop page for 5.1 that STS is not available for 64-bit Windows.
http://www.sonic-core.net/shop/product_ ... grade.html

Last time I tried one of the Samplers I also got a blue screen.
That's why I'll install a 32-bit Windows, so I'll be able to use them. :)
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Tried again last night and loaded 3 akai S1000 programs from Ilios 'Modern Songwriter' onto instances of STS 2000 - 5000 (x64). Assigned those to 3 different channels. Triggered a few simple seqences from Ableton live to midi channel 1-3 and here we go: The polyfony settings seem to be broken as the number of voices per channel is random. Max 2 voices in some instances although the settings indicated 16. Some samples cut after a split of a second only producing a click instead of the sound of the sample. The loop point settings seem to be lost as the sustained notes play back unevenly. And, eventually, the BSOD appeared and shut down the system. I guess I was a little too optimistic having forgotten the numerous postings on the issue here on Planetz.

Anyway, I have a huge collection of Akai disks, and there are alternatives such as Kontakt, NNTX, Sampler/Ableton, so it is not really a big issue for me, but I would still vote for a revision of the samplers for a smooth integration in Scope.

Neb
cortone

Post by cortone »

Experiment with assigning them to DSP 2, and then the other "old" sharcs. You may gain some benefit.

In all, I wouldn't spend much time on it though, I think in the best case you will get it to work for a session, and then not again the next session.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Run a separate computer on 32bit?
dante

Post by dante »

I think last time I tested this it let me run a single instance of STS with 32 note polyphony. Can't remember whether it was on XITE or PCI
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Nebukadneser wrote:It seems to have become an established fact here on Planetz that the STS series of samplers do not work under 64bit versions of Windows 7-10. Under Scope 5.1, however, there are samplers listed with the (x64) added to the name. This indicates that an attempt has been made at least by S|C to provide working versions. I have not stress tested the samplers on my system (Win 7 x64), but the other day I was able to load a STS 3000 (x64) and drag and drop several AKAI programs into the sampler without any problem.

So, what is the current state of the samplers - might I expect the x64 versions to work, or are they bound to crash after a while due to inherent coding which is not updated (yet)?

Neb
I wonder, how did you do that. The samplers seem to be based on VxD files, which are useless under Winows7/64bit.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, the vxd files are sys files, but the samplers don't have 64bit memory allocation sys files, among other things.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

So, I was able to open the STS3000 and dragged and dropped a pulasr program on it (didn(t accept AKAI CD). I can see the samples but nothing happens, when I send MIDI key to it (i.e. the MIDI lamp flickers, but no sound). Am I missing something? (the outs and mon are connected to the mixer befrore going to analog out).
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Is the Sampleplayer V5 stable under W7 64 bit?

I have not tried yet, then I do not know what to expect either. Why is it there in the first place? The STS Series is supposedly working in 32bit environment, so is this an alternative for 64bit users?

http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1978&lg= ... sonic_core

Neb
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, these all use the same sampleplayer architecture. they were made some 20 years ago, long before 64bit systems.
i don't know why they tried to make those work, they don't. with all the good quality, cheap native sampleplayers around, it seems a small matter. native is better used for samplers anyway.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The best sampler I've found is EMUs old software version that Soundblaster bought.
Great mangling in x64 and while I didn't try the Z-Filters it seems there's also digital versions of it listed.
Pretty sure the hardware version Z's will sound better.
Just like old Roland hardware samplers had really hot sounding outputs which can't be modeled 1:1..
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Agree! And they gave away the Proteus V2 vst, which is basically the same as the sampler, without the record-your-own-samples. That's to say: you can play with the Z-plane filters all you want.
http://www.creative.com/emu/proteusvx/