ASIO modules in Win 10 x64 lead to PCI limit reached

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Inferman

ASIO modules in Win 10 x64 lead to PCI limit reached

Post by Inferman »

Guys, need Your help!

I've reconciled myself about some strange DSP overloads because of some loaded plugins "in wrong place and wrong time" but this time I just can't run simple project to render my stems. :cry: Please, help!

All I need is made simple project with 6 channels (stems from DAW) and pass it through Scope Multi-FXs and record mixed stems back to DAW (since I can't render it with VDAT http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34844).

I create 7 ch. ASIO module, link 6 of it to MultiFX (empty ones) and send MIX L+R mixer channel (of ANY mixer, I've chose the light micromixer for the screenshot) to ASIO Dest for recording in DAW.

Now I open DAW (Cubase or Reaper) and it immediately leads to PCI limits.

I tried to connect ASIO to DSP2, 6, 10... I tried to reduce ASIO channels, as You see on the picture I even left 1! ASIO channel.
I tried made project from the empty Scope window. I tried open Scope first - DAW second, DAW first - Scope second, Open Scope with empty project, open DAW (it's ok) and load my stems project (leads to PCI limits instantly!)
It simply doesn't work! :o :o

I just can't add ASIO module to make my DAW works with it!
What's happening?! Could You please explain or suggest me something?
I'm using Win10x64, unfortunately I can't roll down to Win8, 7, XP, 98... Is it impossible to run at least 2 ASIO channels in Win10? :o

The ONLY configuration I managed to work with - I posted the screenshot last - when I open only 1 ch. ASIO Source and Wave Source (without Dest modules).
But! When I create the second ASIO Source channel - it leads to PCI limit (still without Dest modules!).

Moreover, If I use ASIO in my DAW with that last "stable" config with 1 ch. ASIO it could leads to PCI limits in ANY time, 5-20 mins later!

I simply exhausted :-? Please, could You advise me something?
Is there something with PCI(e) slots\ports I could examine? In Device Resourses window I see IRQ : 0x00000012(18) with "no conflicts".

I work in 44.1 with XITE-1, there is all at the screenshots I have in project window (except Analog DEST module), every MultiFX is empty, there is NO plugins loaded in project.
I tried SpaceF Mix7, Micromixer, STM-1632X, Dynamicmixer X, Micromixer X, Summer of 82 (I suppose the issue is not in particular mixer)
I run Win10x64, Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3, Intel Core i5-6600K (Hyperthreading and so on turned off in BIOS).
Attachments
Xite_Asio_Issue_01.jpg
Xite_Asio_Issue_01.jpg (124.34 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
Xite_Asio_Issue_02.jpg
Xite_Asio_Issue_02.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
Xite_Asio_Issue_03.jpg
Xite_Asio_Issue_03.jpg (72.35 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
Last edited by Inferman on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inferman

Re: ASIO modules in Win 10 x64 lead to PCI limit reached

Post by Inferman »

Yes, I had no such problems (in such a pronounced form at least) in my previous OS (Win8.1x64) :( :(
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'm not aware of any ASIO problems like that from win10.

is this a new computer? what Scope hardware and what motherboard?
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

garyb wrote:i'm not aware of any ASIO problems like that from win10.

is this a new computer? what Scope hardware and what motherboard?
Well, its not quite brand new, Garyb, I have current configuration (Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3, Intel Core i5-6600K, DRAM Kingston HyperX) since June 2016.

I run XITE-1 on it and with Win 8.1x64 I was able to run at least 10 ASIO channels (not too much but it would be enough now for my stems project) :(
garyb

Post by garyb »

ahhh yes, I believe Z170 is prone to this with the XITE. yuck.
Z97, no issues. it's a chipset design problem. not necessarily wrong, but not right either...perhaps there's been a bios update which improves this...
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:ahhh yes, I believe Z170 is prone to this with the XITE. yuck.
Z97, no issues. it's a chipset design problem. not necessarily wrong, but not right either...perhaps there's been a bios update which improves this...
Well this is an example of what you were saying Garyb socket 1151 not being good on Xite-1 [but OK on PCI cards for Scope]-Also after hearing about the woes of an X99 user having problems with Xite as well I bumped into something online [maybe here] that there was a change in the PCI-e address system for the PCB [printed circuit board] from 12 addresses to 36 on X99 chipset.

Is this also what is going on here?

I'm no programmer but it's nice to ascertain why something works [Z97 12 address PCI-e system] compared with X99 and Z170 which doesn't work.
guppy

Post by guppy »

Z170 seems to have weaks pci lanes and memory management problems.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Win 10 isn't good
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

How lucky I am :( Wrong Windows for VDAT and wrong motherboard for ASIO :cry:

Well, I'll try to update BIOS, change XITE card PCI-e slot, maybe change PCI-e address (from 12 to 36, do I get it correctly?)...

Anyway, is there any positive feedback of 1151 socket users? Perhaps H170, Q170 or Z270 could manage ASIO some better?
Marco

Post by Marco »

But you are a lucky man, you have a xite :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

anabella wrote:But you are a lucky man, you have a xite :D
It's pretty cold comfort, Anabella :) As one of our singer says - it's like having a Rolls Royce being stuck in traffic :lol:

For now I use the whole power of Xite, in fact, just for Wave Source Module (Windows audio) :o :(
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, the XITE costs more than 3 computers. put it somewhere it will be happy. it won't be that expensive and you won't lose any real-world performance of note, not for audio, anyway. i'm not making light of your pain, i feel it and understand it. it's just my opinion.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Inferman wrote:How lucky I am :( Wrong Windows for VDAT and wrong motherboard for ASIO :cry:

Well, I'll try to update BIOS, change XITE card PCI-e slot, maybe change PCI-e address (from 12 to 36, do I get it correctly?)...

Anyway, is there any positive feedback of 1151 socket users? Perhaps H170, Q170 or Z270 could manage ASIO some better?
I'm no programmer - I think it is more Intel specification for the socket 1151 motherboards which are different to socket 1150 motherboards. Your Z170 is socket 1151 where as a Z97 is socket 1150 and is trouble free. As Scope hasn't been updated in years changes in computer specification has altered and caused a problem for you on that socket.

I don't know much about all this but I'm trying to rationalize why in a way I understand - Socket 2011-V3 with X99 motherboards had lots of problems for someone - I don't think it's possible to change the way the pci-e address system works as it's likely printed onto the PCB [printed circuit board] of the motherboard in the way that it works.

Someone who knows all about this can comment more than I can -
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

Guys! Tremendous's happened :o :o

I've updated the newest BIOS (version 03/06/2017) and... it's alive now!

13 stereo ASIO channels in da house! :lol:
On 14th it stuck with DSP limits but it offered to reoptimize and I think it could be managed, because I even started to add Masterverbs but it was too long optimizing to wait ))
As for my 6-8 channel stems project - everything now works fine with Mehdi's mixers, Summer-of-82 and so on =)

Thank You all for support and advices!

fraz, so much thanx for great alternative options, I could still take it if my scope ambitions will rise :lol:

Still don't believe it, everything works now, wow! :D

I think it could be helpful for other Z170 users ))
Details:
(Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3)
I've change BIOS
F2 4.5 Mb 10/03/2016
to
F22 5.4 Mb 16/03/2017
Started BIOS with default settings, just turned the VT-D off!

p.s. It is quite fresh BIOS released just two weeks ago, someones put them request with the same issue and Gigabyte fixed it? :roll:
Attachments
Xite_Asio_Issue_04.jpg
Xite_Asio_Issue_04.jpg (282.99 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

great!
fraz

Post by fraz »

This is good for you - :) and everyone :)

Do you think you could get more channels? - Not that you need them maybe - That may mean newer sockets like AMD AM4 may work
Marco

Post by Marco »

Alles wird gut! Super, you are a lucky man now!
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I wonder if the X99 has a fixed BIOS update?
Inferman

Post by Inferman »

Thank everyone!

Three days - works normal so far ))
fraz wrote:Do you think you could get more channels? - Not that you need them maybe - That may mean newer sockets like AMD AM4 may work
Fraz, I've managed 14 more or less stable ASIO channels, after several DSP auto-optimization processes.
But with 14 ch. I couldn't add any of plugins in mixer (DynamicMixer X), it goes to endless optimization or just shut the audio down (no ASIO in DAW).

With 6 ASIO there was no rough DSP failure so far with quite heavy mastering plugins...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Inferman wrote:Fraz, I've managed 14 more or less stable ASIO channels, after several DSP auto-optimization processes.
But with 14 ch. I couldn't add any of plugins in mixer (DynamicMixer X), it goes to endless optimization or just shut the audio down (no ASIO in DAW).

With 6 ASIO there was no rough DSP failure so far with quite heavy mastering plugins...
You still have a huge issue with this MB, anyway ! I would be sick if I could not load more than 14 asio channels with my xite-1 ! Always assign asio module to dsp 2 !

It would be worth to change MB and use the full xite power and you are very very very far from that ! It looks like you are using a 3 dsp pci card ! :o
I believe you can buy a 3 dsp pci card for 100$ or even less !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <