Most Expensive Window 10 Computer

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Most Expensive Window 10 Computer

Post by braincell »

I went to Dell to configure my dream computer. I'm not buying this, just dreaming. I found you can get a server which has 768GB RAM for $28,000. The price can go higher depending on configuration. It gets tricky after that because of compatibility issues.
Nestor

Re: Most Expensive Window 10 Computer

Post by Nestor »

28.000? Hehehe :lol: what would you do with that anyway? You will have to force yourself to compose with 650 audio tracks with 12 vst plugins each. Then when you finish your arrangement, you die, just one sone left... :lol: Just kidding with you brother. I don't think there is a need for something like that, it would be a waist.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Marco

Post by Marco »

I guess it is good for email and a little bit of word an Solitär :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
braincell

Post by braincell »

Nestor wrote:28.000? Hehehe :lol: what would you do with that anyway? You will have to force yourself to compose with 650 audio tracks with 12 vst plugins each. Then when you finish your arrangement, you die, just one sone left... :lol: Just kidding with you brother. I don't think there is a need for something like that, it would be a waist.
Yes, it's overkill. I could find use for a $5,000 computer though.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

you know there are DSP based options available to offload some of the resources from the computer :D :D :D
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

For 25 grand I would get a Nintendo and 6 or 7 XITEs.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

But..., Brain, do not misunderstand me, I would like, just like you, having such a beast! :D
braincell

Post by braincell »

Nestor wrote:But..., Brain, do not misunderstand me, I would like, just like you, having such a beast! :D

Thank you! I know many people spend more on a car. I would rather have that computer!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I would probably sell half of the RAM and get a couple of fantastic basses too! :wink:
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I work on farms of machines like this (though always running Linux). $28,000 isn't *that* steep :). Of course, once you have a rack full of servers like this, then you need common storage, network management....
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

That must be very interesting to watch and understand too.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I don't manage or configure them, I just do my work on them ;) From that perspective, they are many racks of grey boxes in an air conditioned room that I never physically walk into. Not so exciting.

But, this is the environment where Intel Xeon and server motherboards grew up in, and why they are so stable as PCs....there's a lot of money that depends on their continuous operation.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, a $28,000 computer won't necessarily do more work than a $2800(or even a $1500) computer.

most of the extra cost is for the finest quality parts to allow 24/7 365day operation at or near capacity.

768GB of ram won't make one bit of difference. no audio app uses that much ram. i suppose one could run a ram drive for the C: drive....
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow, that would be cool, very fast, almost instant load too!

I think 128GB of RAM could eventually be used in some huge orchestral projects in a DAW, "a la Williams", but beyond that, it is difficult to think you could use more than that...
braincell

Post by braincell »

garyb wrote:yeah, a $28,000 computer won't necessarily do more work than a $2800(or even a $1500) computer.

most of the extra cost is for the finest quality parts to allow 24/7 365day operation at or near capacity.

768GB of ram won't make one bit of difference. no audio app uses that much ram. i suppose one could run a ram drive for the C: drive....
I found on Amazon that prices have come down since I made my last one. You can build an incredible computer for under $2,000.