Windows Blocks files

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

Windows Blocks files

Post by t_tangent »

Recently been updating some devices here and I noticed that quite a few files within my Scope folders when I right click and check the Properties of the file they have a Security message at the bottom of the General tab that says

This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer

For individual files it is easy to just press the Unblock button next to the message and it will unblock, but when you need to check many files it would take a very long time. I have come across this before but a long time back and can't remember how I sorted it out. But I am sure there must be a way to do this quickly, or batch unblocker that can do this a bit like the FixAttrib.bat file that Valis created for us in the presets section, which unticks all the Hidden and Read Only attributes of a file.

If anyone has a good method for checking and unblocking Blocked files, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks
t_tangent

Re: Windows Blocks files

Post by t_tangent »

Just found my own answer. Looking through my folders I remembered that Sysinternals created a tool called Streams.exe
This can be downloaded from

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... ls/streams

I also have a pdf called "This file came from another computer and might be blocked.pdf"
which shows how to use Streams.exe along with a couple of batch files which have to be created. I can't remember where I got that pdf from but I am sure a search on the net would find it. However, to save time I have attached a zip with the pdf and the batch files I have already created, including a modification of the first batch file which just outputs the Show results to a text file, which I thought might be useful.

One important thing to note is that it's probably not a good idea to run this directly from the root directory C: drive as it will unblock every file on that drive. So DO NOT do that, just in case :)

Instead, the pdf suggests to put any downloaded files that may be blocked in a temp folder and copy Streams.exe and the batch files to that temp folder and run the batch files from there. But because I am only really using this for the Scope files I have already copied over from various places, so the way I have used it is to put Streams.exe and the batch files into C:/Program Files/Scope XITE or C:/Program Files/Scope PCI and then run the batch files from there.

But read the pdf for more info. Also use at your own risk, although I have used this in the past and it hasn't caused any issues for me. However if anyone has any info to the contrary, or if there is a better solution to this, do feel free to chip in and say so :)

Cheers
Attachments
Streams Batch Files.zip
(270.65 KiB) Downloaded 84 times