AMD platforms PCI cards & Xite-1

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

AMD platforms PCI cards & Xite-1

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Which of the AMD platforms work well with 32 Bit Scope PCI cards & the Xite-1 - This isn't a debate with Intel vs AMD - [don't go there]- It's a query of which AMD sockets work well - On the 32 bit systems - I could ask about the 64 bit systems too but it'd be good to know what the AMD situation is - I've never built an AMD system - But depending on how well it works with Scope I may do :)
RA

Re: AMD platforms PCI cards & Xite-1

Post by RA »

Had a dual opteron dualcores on a msi master2 far7. Rocksteady!

was a pleasure working on that!

PCI pulsar1 and scope card

Good PSU is needed and enough ventilation with AMD
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
fraz

Post by fraz »

RA wrote:Had a dual opteron dualcores on a msi master2 far7. Rocksteady!

was a pleasure working on that!

PCI pulsar1 and scope card

Good PSU is needed and enough ventilation with AMD
A bit of a discussion if you don't mind over the next few days - I've built 2 systems now and have learned about Intel platform and chipsets to a degree.

What AMD socket is your system built on? - And you say you have 2 x CPU's on one motherboard - Opteron is a server CPU isn't it?

So far from looking at the AMD sockets the AM3+ and FM2 sockets have some useful CPU's that are still available

Are the Opteron from like 2006 or something? -

I don't know much about these [but have heard of them] -
fraz

Post by fraz »

FX8320 or FX8350 on AMD socket AM3+ - These CPU's don't seem to have a really high TDP unlike the 9590 which is 220W. The 8320 & 8350 seem to have a reasonable benchmark score.

Do you know of people using AMD AM3+ with Scope and no problems with both the PCI cards and Xite-1 on PCI-e?

The Opteron CPU's were hugely expensive online and are sockets long gone by right? - So they are not available now at reasonable cost and "new"?
fraz

Post by fraz »

GIGABYTE-GA-990XA-UD3 is a pretty good motherboard for the AMD FX 8320, 8350 & 8370 from what I've read - It's well suited to these CPU's.

North Bridge: AMD 990X
South Bridge: AMD SB950

Are these known to work with PCI cards & Xite-1?

Intel is better than AMD and Z97 is the favourite here but that's not what I'm asking so please don't chirp in with AMD bashing--- :)

Performance wise this AMD is around the mark of a 3770k which is a good CPU even now!!!!-

Any comments throw them in
RA

Post by RA »

Yes the opterons are server. Was s940. Have to check the types...still have it standing. Maybe it is older but it fitted my needs. Got the chance to get an occassion intel with ssd and mucho ram(16g) for a good price....and i have a dual boot xp32 and w764. I work 99% on the xp so the only advantage is the ssd haha and pciexpress slot for xite. But he...the case is much smaller. The opterons need a really big tower....heavy dude with large fans for the cpus.

Had a sata controller extra in the opteron so booting took ages compared to the intel.
But the msi mobo had more pci slots. So if you want more cards...xite needs pciexpress for the conncting card.

Ive had some amd systems. My first own pc was intel p2 350. Price was an issue for me. They all have pros and cons. The intel system now has much better speeds between the ram and cpu...but then again....what do you want you system to do.

It is always a mission on its own finding a good system to fit the dsp cards. Luckily there is a lot of info here. All i can say...maybe not go for the latest stuff...you will be a guinnae pig then. And a big pro when you go for a slightly older secondhand system is price. You can score big time then. You have always people wanting the latest system which they use only for browsing the internet or typing a letter in word.

Will you run an xite...or pci...and will you expand?....then check what is stable with the others.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hi RA,

I've got one system with Scope Professional PCI card with Pulsar 2 - so 2 x PCI cards in there - I've also got a Power Sampler PCI card and found 14/15 DSP expander though I've not tried this yet - Also there are 2 x Luna II box's !!! - So I don't think I'll be buying any more PCI cards - so two systems there if need be for future use. Then there is the Xite-1 - These have been collected and will be kept AMEN :)

There is one Asus P5Q LGA 775 Q9550 CPU - that's working for PCI cards - The Xite-1 has a Micro ATX P5QVM with Q9450 - Again in good condition - These are old

Due to PCI being gone now I've collected some of these motherboards as well so there are enough - AMEN!

I'd like to build an AMD system so have found GIGABYTE-GA-990XA-UD3 with good VRM's [not that I know much about these] for heat dissipation for mega TDP AMD AM3+ FX8370 - 32 nm - It's not that new - I can try this for PCI cards or Xite-1 or use it as a slave computer - But even if it doesn't work i'll use a Z97 haha bases covered - :lol: if 775 stops working

I can see why people like AMD even though they are not as good as Intel -

That Gigabyte board has 2 x PCI slots -
RA

Post by RA »

Why not try to put more pci in 1 pc...the msi has 4 slots i think....there was another recent thread with a mobo which also had like 4 or 5 slots....1 pc running pci...1 with xite ;).....2 massive systems ;).....whoooaaahhhh

Try getting a nice second hand digital mixer for all those adats and bammmm...gives lots of fun.....you dont need the mixers in scope then...mucho synths and fx n shizzle going on then
RA

Post by RA »

Yamaha o2r is cheap nowadays
fraz

Post by fraz »

RA wrote:Why not try to put more pci in 1 pc...the msi has 4 slots i think....there was another recent thread with a mobo which also had like 4 or 5 slots....1 pc running pci...1 with xite ;).....2 massive systems ;).....whoooaaahhhh

Try getting a nice second hand digital mixer for all those adats and bammmm...gives lots of fun.....you dont need the mixers in scope then...mucho synths and fx n shizzle going on then
That was initially the plan to have Scope Pro / Pulsar 2 / Power Sampler in one box - With 3 x PCI cards - But the box didn't have enough room for the sync card as well [although this may not be needed] - Anyway I decided to stick to 2 cards in one system and put the Power Sampler in another system which is why I got the 14/15 DSP expander [sort of like Scope Pro without the I/O] - And have this as a spare or use elsewhere.

I/O can be done with A16's although it would be good to split them up from the ADAT I/O's with a toslink patchbay but I don't have one yet.

So that was the plan but it changed a little so that is the best idea over all - It could still be done inside a newer case with 3 x PCI but I'm happy enough with it as it is - small details

Anyway back to the AMD compatibility 990 / 970 chipset AM3+ CPU's - What do you know of how well these will or won't work with both the Xite-1 and or PCI cards - What is your impression?
RA

Post by RA »

I have no experience with the newer chipsets and their pci performance sorry.

Nice arsenal btw :wink:

Anyone on those chipsets?
fraz

Post by fraz »

RA wrote:I have no experience with the newer chipsets and their pci performance sorry.

Nice arsenal btw :wink:

Anyone on those chipsets?
From my limited knowledge on this the chipsets in question are

990FX
970FX

SB950 for the south bridge - Both 990FX & 970FX share the SB950