MIDI modules

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

DragonSF

MIDI modules

Post by DragonSF »

Fpr my projects, I need to develop some MIDI modules. They are like: external MIDI In/Out, MIDI to CC and CC to MIDI, (N)RPN to and from MIDI.
If someone else is also interested in such modules, please make suggestions (like 1 Module for cc/RPN/NPRN), or 1 Module for CC, with all CCs as array. At the moment nearly anything is possible.
enantiodromia

Re: MIDI modules

Post by enantiodromia »

a simple midi keyboard would be great , the default one have hanging note issue
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hi I would like to to have a button or two or 10 where I can fire a few Midi commands. A button can be programmed before with one or a whole bunch of Midi commands.

With this little Midi device I could control e. G. My Hardware devices. My FX machine fire a program change #78 or a synthesizer k5000 e. G. Midi channel 5 bank 4 program number 96.

Each Button can be named. And the whole device can be named so it could be used as a group.
The type of command can be easily selected for none programmer persons

Guitar players could use this as a floorboard substitute. Means easy programming of there real floorboard, they fire from their hardware floorboard one command into scopes new Midi device e. G. Program changes #34 and the new Midi button is translating this into a preprogrammed bunch of Midi commands, e. G. Preamp program change #5 on Midi channel 7 and FX machine program change #65 on Midi channel 3 and a program change on Midi channel 9 to a scope mixer number 3 to set the mixer into recording mode. The button can use scopes Midi learn function for remote control.

This device could also be used to recall stacked synthesizer sounds, e. G. 3 or 4 scope synth or external synths recall presets as one sound with one button in your project. Or combinations of synthesizer mixer and FX settings to experiment with different stacksounds.

The possibilities are endless.

The device could have 2 or more programmable Midi inputs and outputs.

The device could be dynamic, adding buttons or killing and build them into groups or ungroup them again. . Colorize the way you want and having a good overview.

If you need a graphic designer, ask me.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

a midi kill or "all notes off" switch would be nice.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

anabella wrote:Hi I would like to to have a button or two or 10 where I can fire a few Midi commands. A button can be programmed before with one or a whole bunch of Midi commands.

With this little Midi device I could control e. G. My Hardware devices. My FX machine fire a program change #78 or a synthesizer k5000 e. G. Midi channel 5 bank 4 program number 96.

Each Button can be named. And the whole device can be named so it could be used as a group.
The type of command can be easily selected for none programmer persons

Guitar players could use this as a floorboard substitute. Means easy programming of there real floorboard, they fire from their hardware floorboard one command into scopes new Midi device e. G. Program changes #34 and the new Midi button is translating this into a preprogrammed bunch of Midi commands, e. G. Preamp program change #5 on Midi channel 7 and FX machine program change #65 on Midi channel 3 and a program change on Midi channel 9 to a scope mixer number 3 to set the mixer into recording mode. The button can use scopes Midi learn function for remote control.

This device could also be used to recall stacked synthesizer sounds, e. G. 3 or 4 scope synth or external synths recall presets as one sound with one button in your project. Or combinations of synthesizer mixer and FX settings to experiment with different stacksounds.

The possibilities are endless.

The device could have 2 or more programmable Midi inputs and outputs.

The device could be dynamic, adding buttons or killing and build them into groups or ungroup them again. . Colorize the way you want and having a good overview.

If you need a graphic designer, ask me.
Interesting ideas. One question: do you know how to add/remove pads dynamivally? AFAIK pads are allocated at the module loading time and can't be changed. I can't use PEP, where it seems to be possible. Do send a stream of MIDI data, the MIDI data can be stored in an ini-file and picked up at run-time.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Im not a programmer, Im a musican, I can play several instruments, but no I dont know how to make it dynamic. Maybe it is good enough to have a set of dev.modules e.g. 5 Buttons or 10 Buttons, I guess this is the easy way.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Hi, Dragon !

I hope you feel fine and have good succes with Scope development !
I imagine you are working on some Scope devices and by reading your posts on Z, I guess they are going to be unique and special !

I also hope you found a solution to all the issues with your device development and SDK...

Do you know when we, poor Scope users, will discover the result of your hard work ? On what kind of device are you working on ? You don't have to answer if you prefer to surprise us ! :D

I'm impatient to try that ! :)

Cheers !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I have different projects in the fire, but regarding MIDI, I'm working on:
- ext. MIDI-IN and out
- convert MIDI-CC into control voltages and vice versa
- same for RPN and NRPN values
- MIDI keyboard (virtual) with options like you have on a real MIDI controller (sliders, knobs, pushbuttons) etc.

Regarding real Scope work, I'm waiting for the Dongle. I working on a multiple harmonics generator (resynthesis). The current device usess too muich DSP power, only 2 voices are available. With a new DSP osc design, I'm expecting at least 4 voices.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice to hear.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Great ! :)
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
David

Post by David »

Hi, a bit late to reply but for midi, an easy way to handle MPE

looking forward to the new devices
dawman

Post by dawman »

Excellent idea as MPE is really starting to mature.
Not into the Roli stuff, but Continuum and Lin are grabbing my attention.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Pygmy Audio Farms wrote:Hi, a bit late to reply but for midi, an easy way to handle MPE

looking forward to the new devices
So, here is the 1st device: MIDI to CV, 16 CC values can be handled with teaching button: Press the button, apply up to 16 different CCs and press button again. The state will be saved, so next time, you don't need to teach again. The ini file will be automatiically generated in the app directory. The dll goes the usual dll dir (for ex. C:\Program Files\SCOPE SDK XITE\App\Dll). You need the VS 2013 runtime dir too (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784.
Example pro (incl):
midi2cv.png
midi2cv.png (60.2 KiB) Viewed 12274 times
Attachments
midi2cv.zip
(742.97 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

At the moment, only one instance is useful. If someone needs more than one, just reply and ask for it. I might have an idea, to make each module unique.
YiannisK

Post by YiannisK »

Looks great!
Can you give me an example of how I would use this ?
What's it's purpose?
Sorry but I'm not familiar with CV stuff.
Just wondering if there's a use for me in my setup that I might overlook.
Thanks and keep up the great work.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

YiannisK wrote:Looks great!
Can you give me an example of how I would use this ?
What's it's purpose?
Sorry but I'm not familiar with CV stuff.
Just wondering if there's a use for me in my setup that I might overlook.
Thanks and keep up the great work.
If you got a MIDI keyboard controller, it might have some CC controller as well (buttons, sliders, pots etc). If any of these can produce CCs (Continuous Controls), you can use these outputs to control any potentiometer in Scope. It can be volume, frequency, time - whatever comes to mind. AS exmaple, you can control the frequency of a LP Filter like a Wah-Wah from your keyboard. If you keyboard controller allows a foot pedal: her you have your wah control connect the Midi2CV out to the LP Filter F control, push the T button, move the pedal, push T again and you're done.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Looks very interesting, and thanks for the example use. I look forward to trying this out, and congrats on your first device. :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Wow, DragonSF, great device!

Is there any filtering or interpolation to smooth 7bit MIDI to 32bit CV?
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

jksuperstar wrote:Wow, DragonSF, great device!

Is there any filtering or interpolation to smooth 7bit MIDI to 32bit CV?
I can do that. But you'll always have a step, because there is no in-between state. Value is either 54 or 55, but never 54.6. On the other side, if you have an idea, I'm open to suggestions. Another way would be using 14-bit (N)RPN input. I can do that too.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

A new module: external MIDI IN. If uou encounter note-hanging, push the off-button. To selct the Midi In device, push show and select the device from the combobox. Enjoy!
ext midi in.png
ext midi in.png (20.4 KiB) Viewed 12162 times
If you encounter hanging notes, please tell me. There is a speed limit within Scope, which gives problems at BPM > 160. I might need to increase the buffer.
Attachments
extmidiin.zip
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 324 times