Bell x-1 Sound Design Studio

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

wouterz

Bell x-1 Sound Design Studio

Post by wouterz »

yayajohn

Re: Bell x-1 Sound Design Studio

Post by yayajohn »

:o :o Wow that is an awesome lab! I counted 28 Akai samplers. I wonder what year that was taken, CRT monitors definitely date the pic. Makes my one Akai seem sort of insignificant. I fire it up from time to time but it always was a cumbersome interface.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

2002 according to this page: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... urtois.jpg

I still use my hardware sampler (S5000).
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Mine is a CD3000. I hooked up an external hard drive to it because the CD drive was so agonizingly slow. After 23 yrs it still works!
Only 600mb storage though which wasn't enough even back then to store my entire sample collection. And an extremely loud enclosure! <PARK>
:lol:
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

I use my S5000 for 17 years now. With the software editor and ADAT connection to my Scope system it integrated very nicely.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Wow, yeah ADAT would have been a nice feature on mine. How do you connect with the editor? Is it MIDI sysex? On a PC?
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

The S5000 connects by USB, a USB card needs to be present in the sampler and the latest OS that is supported is Windows XP. You can also transfer samples over USB to the sampler. The editor is called akai aksys.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Ohhhhja the akai sampler is a charming machine. The once discipline where most of the VST s are better than scope : sampling. The craziest thing ever is the spectrasonic stuff, Keyscape Omnisphere.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: I counted 28 Akai samplers.
When enlarging the pic I count exactly FIVE (5) AKAI samplers,- all the others are AKAI S-1000 PB.
PB means "playback".
Those were sample players only and they had less expansion card slots.
Stock AKAI S-1000 sampler and S-1000 PB just only offered 8meg of RAM (4x 2meg card) at max..
Later, after some firmware eprom-exchange based upgrade, it was possible using 8meg cards too, but soldering 2 bridges to the mainboard (equivalent to a dip switch setting on S-1100) was necessary.
I owned ´em all, S-1000, S-1000 PB and S-1100.
Sold the S-1000 PB long time ago, still own 1 S-1000 and 1 S-1100 in working condition and 1 S-1100 as spare for parts.
S-1100 upgraded w/ all expansion cards (4x 8meg memory and digital interface card) is the best sounding AKAI ever made.
There´s AES/EBU to connect w/ XITE-1 and on the analog site it´s the only AKAI which doesn´t multiplex individual outputs from main-stereo-out DA-converter chip.
S-1100 has a dedicated Burr Brown DA converter for every output exisiting on it´s backpanel.
All the other incl. all later AKAI sampler models don´t have !

When you own the right (3rd party) sample library CDs in AKAI S3000 format, it´s still a pro piece of gear sounding very good and covering a lot of estate in music production.
EMU EOS samplers too ... my EMU E64 can also connect to XITE-1 via AES/EBU.

Years ago I converted all my AKAI library CDs for Steinberg Halion and later some of the AKAI- and most EMU CDs for NI Kontakt.
It was DISAPPOINTING !

It´s true they play the converted samples and programs, but it sounds significantly different because that´s only the digital data and not the hardware.
You don´t have the converters and analog output circuitry of the hardware on a ASIO soundcard inside a computer and no software sample playback engine I´m aware off offers p.ex. the EMU zPlane filters.
Maybe one of the Creative EMU-X versions did,- I dunno and I never was familiar w/ EMU-X.

For AKAI, as a replacement, SCOPE STS sounded best to me when disks were converted and loaded successfull.
But most of the times I´m lazy and use the old hardware as long as it works.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Only 600mb storage though which wasn't enough even back then to store my entire sample collection. And an extremely loud enclosure!
Replace the fan !

I have some Synthax, HybridArts and other "syndrives" left over from the past.
All SCSI HDDS, Syquest media of all kind (ZIP, Jazz, 44 and 88meg cardridge etc.) I don´t really use much anymore.
But those using Fujitsu 3.5" MOD drives are still great for usage w/ the hardware samplers and are reliable as well.

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud knows his samplers.
Only other guy I know that had Oberhem DPXs.

I still use the Emulator Mellotron samples from 1986.
Even have a blend of them in raw. On Solaris to make JAWS Oscillators fatter.

Cheers, nice racks too.
RA

Post by RA »

Whoaah...houston...we have liftoff. Haha it looks just like a spaceship. Well ...the ussr ones haha
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Only other guy I know that had Oberhem DPXs.
I still have 2 in working condition,- and 2 or 3 mainboards for pulling parts in the basement as well.
They both have the individual outputs option.
The SSM filters make the DPX-1 the only module sounding like a EMU II did.
When you own the Universe of Sounds library, the DPX-1 is what you should use when you don´t own a good condition EMU EII.
It´s not for live gigging, just only for the studio or nostalgic synth museum hobby, but it sounds great.

When you load 2 DPX-1 w/ the same disk (program & samples) and slightly detune the units against each other using their global tuning parameter, then run both main mono outs thru a Rocktron RX-20 dual-mono Exciter/Imager, play w/ the phase settings a bit for the stereo imaging job, mock up some highs w/ the Exciter and use the integrated HUSH II for sample release noise reduction,- and, when each voice´s usage of individual outs is written to disk in addition,- you also run all the mono voices from individual outs to a console and pan, EQ a bit and give ´em some outboard FX, you´ll be hit by a wall of sound you´ll rarely get from anything else.

just saying ...

Bud
RA

Post by RA »

Great creativity Bud!!!!

And then some kiddo comes by and just says; i got this vst and when i load this n this preset....tha bomb....dude....kids are missing some points here. Having less gave more.
Marco

Post by Marco »

These kids are producing their own music and do not want to make old fashioned stuff, they want to build there own world and realize there self. They maybe don't want your old stuff because they have easy access to vst world and get the best out of it, but only for there own creation. I wasn't really very different.

No matter, we know what we are doing! :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
RA

Post by RA »

ouch anabella...you're making me feel old :lol:
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

RA wrote: And then some kiddo comes by and just says; i got this vst and when i load this n this preset....tha bomb....dude...
Well, for ´em it´s quite normal a computer is running always when they make music.
For me it´s not.
Listening to mp3 is also not what I prefer and I don´t need smartphones, smartTVs and everything wireless network in the house and so on.

I come from times when we had no computers available, not even a drum machine or hardware sequencer.
I made money w/ music already w/ a combo organ in the age of 16.
Even I appreciate the advantages of digital technology in pro music production, I still emphasize working w/ rudimentary tools.
No need for me composing/arranging w/ a DAW application,- I can do w/ pen, paper and just a piano sound or,- real piano.
I also can roll tape, push "record", just play and don´t edit much,- sometimes do one-takes when it´s the basic track.
I did that all day for many years in the late 70s and 80s on demand.

When talking about SCOPE, I like it because it behaves like a piece of hardware.
SCOPE´s synths are the only VIs I can play w/o latency in realtime and when going into XITE-1 (or PCI card´s) MIDI-In and using SCOPE in standalone mode.
VSTis will always introduce latency and other compromizes in soundquality.
As always there are some exceptions, p.ex uHe Diva and Zebra, but then when you need 2, 3 or 4 instances, they eat your latest greates Intel quad-core for breakfast alone.

Sometimes I regret a piece of gear like XITE-1 doesn´t come w/ it´s own UI and processor, enough RAM and making a Windows machine completely obsolete.
I don´t mean a NOAH like machine ´cause that was a PC itself, something new instead and depending on what the imagination of UI were,- maybe remote controller w/ a display or such.

Will say, when I can leave my computers switched off,- I´m often a happy camper.
I really love playing hardware instruments and really hate these toy-like DAW controller keyboard crap.

And I won´t forget: Everything virtual isn´t real !

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud Weiser wrote:
dawman wrote: Only other guy I know that had Oberhem DPXs.
I still have 2 in working condition,- and 2 or 3 mainboards for pulling parts in the basement as well.
They both have the individual outputs option.
The SSM filters make the DPX-1 the only module sounding like a EMU II did.
When you own the Universe of Sounds library, the DPX-1 is what you should use when you don´t own a good condition EMU EII.
It´s not for live gigging, just only for the studio or nostalgic synth museum hobby, but it sounds great.

When you load 2 DPX-1 w/ the same disk (program & samples) and slightly detune the units against each other using their global tuning parameter, then run both main mono outs thru a Rocktron RX-20 dual-mono Exciter/Imager, play w/ the phase settings a bit for the stereo imaging job, mock up some highs w/ the Exciter and use the integrated HUSH II for sample release noise reduction,- and, when each voice´s usage of individual outs is written to disk in addition,- you also run all the mono voices from individual outs to a console and pan, EQ a bit and give ´em some outboard FX, you´ll be hit by a wall of sound you´ll rarely get from anything else.

just saying ...

Bud
Exactly what I did live, learned that from Eric Pershing using a pair of Roland synths.
I ran them into a Yamaha DMP7 for SPX90 Modulations and PCM 41 Delay.
I had 4 x of them so I loaded 2 at a time.
Got rid of them for the S760s with those old shoebox sized 1GB SCSI HDDs....

My rig is so small and bad ass now, can't say I miss the FDD loading days.

Even had to load 2 x S760s while playing 2 so my D70 controller could have 2 samples, and internal sounds for each tune...

I still love a good controller and just racks.

Cheers Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: My rig is so small and bad ass now, can't say I miss the FDD loading days.

I still love a good controller and just racks.
I always loved good controllers and "just racks" !
The love was so big 2 of my racks grew up to 30 HU ... :D
Now they are in the basement.
Somewhere this year I´ll end up w/ 3-4 keyboards, Roland Integra-7 and a SCOPE/XITE machine running native stuff too.

The FDD loading days ...
Well, since we have the floppy drive emulators below, you can have all the images of the EMU EII/DPX library on only 1 SD card for quick load.
You just only need the working disks, EII or sd (Soundesigner) files, convert to disk image w/ EMXP, then load onto the SD card.
http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=121

AFAIK, it also works for the Yammi QX-1 ... :lol:
I think about doing the mod for fun.

Bud

P.S.:
I know you also have more than your small gig rig in stock... :wink:
RA

Post by RA »

floppies.jpg
floppies.jpg (18.44 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
Remember the times also installing with like 30 floppies :lol: :o
Took ages to setup a system. (and it's not that long ago)
hourglass.gif
hourglass.gif (197.52 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
QB64code14.png
QB64code14.png (10.63 KiB) Viewed 4926 times