BlueTooth USB

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

BlueTooth USB

Post by braincell »

The price is fantastic but I wonder about lag and how many of these can I use at once, also CPU load.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BlueToothAda
ronnie

Re: BlueTooth USB

Post by ronnie »

Listening to streaming audio is fine. Monitoring multitrack recording... mucho latency. Additional stress on your PC. Midi latency ping pong. Another constant real-time lane hog.USB potential conflicts. Leave the wireless crap on yer phone. There ain't no BT codec with low enough latency for real time work and you got another audio device which wont work with scope. I pass.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
braincell

Post by braincell »

I'm trying out USB over CAT5 cable soon.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

braincell wrote:I'm trying out USB over CAT5 cable soon.
That should be fine as long as the interrupts are ok, it's the BT and WiFi that causes audio problems.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Anything wireless tends to heave delays and error processing on the host CPU, rather than handle those things in the device itself. Stand-alone wifi router to a device, while still hardwired to your PC is better. But, there is no equivalent for Bluetooth.

Cat5/6 audio should do pretty well. Especially if you get a card that is compliant with AVB/IEEE802.1AS. anything else is proprietary (container, Dante, etc) and will live as long as those companies support them. With several companies like motu behind 802.1as, it's worth investing in.
braincell

Post by braincell »

jksuperstar wrote:Anything wireless tends to heave delays and error processing on the host CPU, rather than handle those things in the device itself. Stand-alone wifi router to a device, while still hardwired to your PC is better. But, there is no equivalent for Bluetooth.

Cat5/6 audio should do pretty well. Especially if you get a card that is compliant with AVB/IEEE802.1AS. anything else is proprietary (container, Dante, etc) and will live as long as those companies support them. With several companies like motu behind 802.1as, it's worth investing in.

Thanks I'll make a note of that. I'll try it with what I have first. My computer got so loud when I installed that gaming card.
braincell

Post by braincell »

And speaking of wireless, I got the Waves NX and NX head tracker. It's pretty cool. It's a CPU hog but so far no problems.
braincell

Post by braincell »

jksuperstar wrote:Anything wireless tends to heave delays and error processing on the host CPU, rather than handle those things in the device itself. Stand-alone wifi router to a device, while still hardwired to your PC is better. But, there is no equivalent for Bluetooth.

The Roli Seaboard comes with Bluetooth built in. Maybe they solved it. Not for any great distance I am sure. I have not read up on the performance. It would be great to eliminate all midi cables!