Can't record from ASIO with Ableton

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

DragonSF

Can't record from ASIO with Ableton

Post by DragonSF »

I can set xite-1 as asio audio device in ableton. I can see and hear audio on a track with source set to asio, but when I push the record button, audio and scope freezes. I have to reset Scope's dsp (message: communication lost) to get it running again.
I can record from other asio devices though. Anyone with the same experioence or any ideas, how to fix it? (S/R is 44.1k, original sound comes from AES/EBU, goes through STM 16. But direct connecting AES->ASIO doesn't work either).
garyb

Re: Can't record from ASIO with Ableton

Post by garyb »

right click on the Live icon and choose "Properties".
click on the "Compatibility" tab.
put a check in the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose Windows 7 or Windows 8.
close and save the Properties setting.

start Live and it should work.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

garyb wrote:right click on the Live icon and choose "Properties".
click on the "Compatibility" tab.
put a check in the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose Windows 7 or Windows 8.
close and save the Properties setting.

start Live and it should work.
Doesn't work. Not for Ableton 32-bit nor 64-bit.
Another observation: Scope freezes, even when I use a different ASIO device. Ableton does record then.
garyb

Post by garyb »

then there's most likely an issue with the setup. that's a very unusual behavior. many people use Live. no error messages, just Scope freezing? the rest of the computer still works, no cntrl-alt-del? irq?
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

garyb wrote:then there's most likely an issue with the setup. that's a very unusual behavior. many people use Live. no error messages, just Scope freezing? the rest of the computer still works, no cntrl-alt-del? irq?
Yes, only scope freezes. When I remove something, the error message (can't connect to board) appears. After restarting scope, it works again. And only when I push the record button. Until then, no problems.
garyb

Post by garyb »

when you remove something? what do you mean?
what error message? please post a screenshot.

pressing the record button shouldn't affect Scope in any way. is there some kind of software monitoring on? perhaps a feedback loop?
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

error.jpg
error.jpg (21.66 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
Remove: a connecting between AES/EBU and ASIO out. I tried to use Adobe Audition, but this prgram doesn't even see Scope. I'll reboot and check the cables.
I tried the same with wave-out and found no problem.
Last edited by DragonSF on Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I got that error message usually when I was having cable problems .
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

asio_error.jpg
asio_error.jpg (81.1 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
Testing with odeus gives thios message. Hmm, something wrong with my project?
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, it should be ok for testing...
have you changed a project's asio setup with the sequencer open?
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

No, I didn't. But it seems the whole mess came from installing something different. I went back to a previous image and ASIO is working fine.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, at least it's working even if there's no obvious reason for it...
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

garyb wrote:well, at least it's working even if there's no obvious reason for it...
Right! But with Scope, you'll never know the future :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

you never know the future with anything, but this didn't seem to have been a Scope issue.

computers will always have surprises as long as the operating systems change every other year. actually, they can be screwy even with a stable platform, but with a constantly changing environment both hard and software, and a business model that requires new sales and products at least once a year, there will always be bugs.

the point is to have a machine that does what you need it to and then use it to death, or that's my modus operandi. i've noticed that playing with technology is also a reason for people to use music production software and hardware. actually, that's also fun...
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

semi off-topic - i find scope's asio is wonderfully rock solid actually. across multiple platforms and multiple daws starting from win98 through win7 and often on weak pc platforms i've always gotten superb performance from my daw's due to scope's strong asio.

real-time recording 32 simultaneous 7 minute channels on logic5 on winXP machine with 256mb ram? no problem, rocking it :)
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

garyb wrote:you never know the future with anything, but this didn't seem to have been a Scope issue.

computers will always have surprises as long as the operating systems change every other year. actually, they can be screwy even with a stable platform, but with a constantly changing environment both hard and software, and a business model that requires new sales and products at least once a year, there will always be bugs.

the point is to have a machine that does what you need it to and then use it to death, or that's my modus operandi. i've noticed that playing with technology is also a reason for people to use music production software and hardware. actually, that's also fun...
I fully agree, no Scope issue! And the rest is also true.