Silent way calibration with modular oscillator issue

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Silent way calibration with modular oscillator issue

Post by JoPo »

I'm trying to calibrate as best as possible the 'Voice Controller' module from Expert Sleepers with a simple sine wave modular oscillator and I get a usable pitch signal only on 2.5 octaves. I'd like to have 4 or 5 octaves !

It's a bit special and people who don't have Silent way won't be able to understand what I try to achieve. But maybe some people here is using the 'Voice Controller' module and have better result... Have a look to the curve I obtain :
ES curv.jpg
ES curv.jpg (2.58 KiB) Viewed 9047 times
As you see, the longer part is not very long and it's not straight, which means the pitch is far from be perfect even on those poor 2.5 octaves ! A good curve should looks like this (but that's not mine ! :D ) :
ES ok.jpg
ES ok.jpg (2.96 KiB) Viewed 9047 times
I already tried to low Voice Controller input & output for calibration --> no luck. I really don't know what to try to improve it.

Silent way works perfectly thru asio in Scope, so there is no reason that only pitch CV signal would not work as well via asio into Scope, no ?

Does someone could give me some advice about this specific question, around here ? Thanks !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
jksuperstar

Re: Silent way calibration with modular oscillator issue

Post by jksuperstar »

V/Oct or Hz/V?

Try attenuating the oscillator output to avoid any overdriving of the calibration routine.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks for the advice ! .... But I already tried that. It just shiffted a bit the curve but with the same pitch range : around 2.5 octaves on the biggest curve part...
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

FYI: the frequency value is internally calculated with this formula:pad value=f*2^31/SR. ( So 440Hz will have the pad value of 21426140).
Last edited by DragonSF on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

:D I'm a little bit confused...
The muffwiggler links is interesting but I'm not able to register to this forum, I give always bad answer to the robot check question about an animal or about a synth ! Now, it refuses to let me try again !
And the text files they are talking about on the topic are not available for non registered people.

:-? DragonSF : I don't understand nothing of what you're saying ! :o I'm wondering if I'm not completly idiot... :roll:
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

If someone has the privilege to be registered on muffwiggler, please, follow the link and check if the text files from tomylee are still available ! Thanks ! I'm impatient to see how a good calibration file for Modular looks like !
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

JoPo wrote:If someone has the privilege to be registered on muffwiggler, please, follow the link and check if the text files from tomylee are still available ! Thanks ! I'm impatient to see how a good calibration file for Modular looks like !
Attachments
Silent Way Voicecontroller Modular III MVC Oscillator FREQ Calibration DATA.txt
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yahoo !! Thanks a lot !! :)

How did you register at muffwiggler ?? I tried 10 times --> nada !
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

JoPo wrote::D I'm a little bit confused...
The muffwiggler links is interesting but I'm not able to register to this forum, I give always bad answer to the robot check question about an animal or about a synth ! Now, it refuses to let me try again !
And the text files they are talking about on the topic are not available for non registered people.

:-? DragonSF : I don't understand nothing of what you're saying ! :o I'm wondering if I'm not completly idiot... :roll:
You couldn't understand what I'm saying, because what I wrote was wrong. I corrected that. What I tried to explain was, that you have to keep in mind when you convert a signal from the outside to a module directly (i.e. not using MIDI). So if you get for ex. V/Hz as CV from the outside, you have to convert this voltage (as number) by multiplying this value with the conversion factor). Lets say: 2.2 V represents 440Hz and the S/R is 48000, you need to multiply 2.2 with 8947848 to get the correct pad value. If you have Oct/V, it's a little bit more complicated, but also straight forward.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks, Dragon, to take time to explain. As I don't have any hardware modular, I don't know the voltage value. But now, I get what you're meaning. The relation is linear...
I'd like to know the max voltage value on a modular system... Is it 10v ? So the normalised signal would be 0v --> 10v ? Right ?
... After checking in wikipedia, I can see that there are 3 normalised voltages : +/- 15V ; +/- 12V or +/-18V ! One has to take care to not feed a 12v max module with 18v ! Converters are needed to use several voltages ??
Software are less risky ! And I don't have enough space & money, anyway ! :D

Anyway... ShogunSpy gave me the calibration file which works perfectly for all midi octave ! Very useful !
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

JoPo wrote: :-? DragonSF : I don't understand nothing of what you're saying ! :o I'm wondering if I'm not completly idiot... :roll:
Sorry, I love the way you worded this. Made me laugh a lot. Your a witty guy! :lol: :)
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

JoPo wrote:Thanks, Dragon, to take time to explain. As I don't have any hardware modular, I don't know the voltage value. But now, I get what you're meaning. The relation is linear...
I'd like to know the max voltage value on a modular system... Is it 10v ? So the normalised signal would be 0v --> 10v ? Right ?
... After checking in wikipedia, I can see that there are 3 normalised voltages : +/- 15V ; +/- 12V or +/-18V ! One has to take care to not feed a 12v max module with 18v ! Converters are needed to use several voltages ??
Software are less risky ! And I don't have enough space & money, anyway ! :D

Anyway... ShogunSpy gave me the calibration file which works perfectly for all midi octave ! Very useful !
My modular synth has switchable ranges from -5 to +5V or 0 to 10V. The other ranges are the supply voltages, which are normally not used directly as CV.
It is guaranteed in my system, that no voltage exceeds these limits. SO you can mix audio and control signals without fear off overloading.
You have a choice of input-type (linear or exponential) for most of the modules (VCO,VCF or VCA). Also EG exist, which accept CV as inputs (i.e. definition of A,D, S or R).
With modular synths, yes, space is an issue, but actually no risk.
WOK (wall of knobs): (all cases were designed and built by me)
snth.JPG
snth.JPG (287.74 KiB) Viewed 8898 times
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

:) Excellent ! And with some Scope analog I/O and Silent Way, you can make your hardware modular synth play with Scope and vst's ! That must be terrific !
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bet that synth is a FAT Basrard.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

JoPo wrote::) Excellent ! And with some Scope analog I/O and Silent Way, you can make your hardware modular synth play with Scope and vst's ! That must be terrific !
Even better: imagine an OSC Client (Bela IO) sitting on top of the Synth having 8 analog outs for CV. That's one of my next projects.
And yes, it's FAT. I even haven't tried with my KPA stack (Kemper KPA+Yamaha 1300W monitor).
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

looks like the granddad of fat Bastards!! :D ..nice rig DragonSF
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

ShogunSpy wrote:looks like the granddad of fat Bastards!! :D ..nice rig DragonSF
Thanks. You should see my guitar rig!
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

wow man nice rack!!!!
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/