6 dsp pci card power?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE

6 dsp pci card power?

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Is a 6 dsp card enough to run just Solaris or just mod4?
garyb

Re: 6 dsp pci card power?

Post by garyb »

it depends on how complicated the patch used is.

the accurate answer is maybe...
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Thanks for the clarity..
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:

sorry i couldn't be more clear!

i think with Solaris, you would be lucky to be able to use one voice, for the more complicated patches...
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Thought so. (Sorry I can see how that could of been read as a bit sarcastic). It was a clear answer. It's the whole "modular" type effect. Thanks.
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

No absolutely not. 6 DSP is not enough for Solaris. Recently I've been on the fence about whether or not I want to get rid of all or at least some of my PCI cards. I bought an XITE-1 a few months ago. I've had 3 of the full 15 DSP cards for many years. I did a test with one card to see if I really needed 3. My first test was with Solaris. It ran well, but many patches ate all of the DSP of that single 15 DSP card. There was never a DSP overload until I added another device or two, but anything most would want to do in Solaris would be complicated, so you'd want a minimum of 15 DSP's, and 15 DSP's = 1 Solaris and that's about it.

Solaris is awesome though. It's worth it if you want a super advanced synth within Scope. If you buy someone's 15 DSP card, and it includes plugins, chances are good that it would include Solaris. That's one of the most famous plugins and a few years ago there was a special sale that included it, so anyone that didn't already have it surely bought it then.

I personally think Sonic Core should buy the rights from John Bowen and make it work for XITE-1 and re-release it. There's always talk about how they have limited ways to make money. Well remaking a classic always works right? I understand it's not that simple of course, but if they could work out the details, it would be a very worthwhile effort. I'd buy it on pre-order and wait a year for it....... Just saying.........
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

for modular though 6dsp is not bad, if you aren't looking at polyphony but more into strange sound/fx/noodle stuff then why not.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Nice one guys. So yeah. 15dsp is needed.
53E7 = sell 2 of your cards and keep one for using the legacy stuff that does not work right on xite.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

even something like the nord micro modular is monophonic/paraphonic for most patches. even the regular nord modular doesn't let you go crazy with voices on a big patch. you can get a lot of good sounds from 6dsp. if you make electronic music, how many voices do you really need for most bread-and-butter sounds?
Last edited by faxinadu on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Your generally right. Especially about modular. I used to have a micro nord modular! Did hit limits on that on occasions which was frustrating. But yeah generally speaking your right!

Anyhows I'm nuts. And I like to set stuff up so I don't hit limits. Even if it was only to be used once a year. But regardless of the modular. It's Solaris that's almost dictating the need for 15dsp card.

Want to make music making a cakewalk!!!!

I've almost ironed out all nigles in the studio and Solaris (and somewhat mod4 due to seq issues on xite) is the final nigle to sort. :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

53E7 wrote:... I personally think Sonic Core should buy the rights from John Bowen and make it work for XITE-1 and re-release it. There's always talk about how they have limited ways to make money. ...
sorry, but that's happy dreaming - I know the sales figures from the man himself - you'd be shocked
in Scope there is NO market except for bundled stuff, a lot of 1st class effects never got adequate acceptance
honestly, it's a shame

ps: I really considered this small indiscreetness twice, but supporting fairy tales isn't much useful either

cheers, Tom
ta7

Post by ta7 »

Hi Edge,
6 DSP's for Mod4? My expirience is very fine. So i started with 4 DSP's and it was never boring. Okay i had only made sfx patches. So i never need many voices. Only the Mod without channel effects in the mixer 6 DSP's? Just doit.

ta7
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Right. So at the 11th hour, was so close to bidding on a 15dsp card. But you know what?

I shouldn't have to do this.

I'd rather give SC the money on new scope software that just sorts these issues out on xite or at least has replacements. Time for sonic core to have software just for xite and sack off anymore updates for and support for pci cards. Pci scope 5.1 is a good swan song, it works well. Xite should be THE one and only focus from now. It's the only hardware they sell!!!

In the time being what does not work on xite (and I haven't got a work around yet) I'll just do elsewhere!!!

Surely my virusti2 sounds just as good as Solaris. Modular pretty much is at 100% now due to the dsp#2 for seq parts discovery!!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Liquid EDGE wrote: I've almost ironed out all nigles in the studio and Solaris (and somewhat mod4 due to seq issues on xite) is the final nigle to sort. :)
ZARG Quantum Wave and Solaris (v5) will never run perfect w/ appreciable polyphony on any Creamware or S|C DSP system and you will have issues w/ most complex patches even monophonic on some systems.

Those were idealistic coded devices in the sense creating some insane synth architecture but the featuritis was too much.
The modulation busses eat SAT connections between DSP chips on a PCI card and accross PCI cards, inside XITE-1 between DSP chips in one slot and across DSP slots as well as between PCI cards and/or XITE-1 and computer host domain for breakfast.
There´s no escape except you don´t use all those complex features which make those synths a Solaris and Quantum Wave.
In fact you can use another (ZARG) synth for such simpler purposes then.

It drove me nuts recognizing because I really wanted these synths for their extended features compared to the simpler ones and use ´em to full potential,- but it is a no go.

I gave up w/ these devices and tinkering w/ all the workaround s##t is much too time consuming for me and frustrating.
I wanna load something fast and get my idea realized quickly vs losing the plot.

Some ZARGs would need a re-design to make ´em running smooth,- at least on a XITE box.

OTOH, I bought ´em all in a bundle, so using Prowave and ProOne alone is good enough for most "analogue synth emulation" tasks.
Even the stock Sonic Core devices are !

So, best idea is "use what runs well on XITE and forget the other devices",- it´s still a value.

I think more about what will happen when PCIe slots disappear.
I see it coming and PCIe x1 now is rare on most mobos already.

For the time being, a good idea might be some firmware upgrade using PCIe x4 to full potential and a new PCIe x4 card for XITE, just only to make the hardware better compatible w/ upcoming computer mobo hardware.
More lanes in use = more speed and probbably also more SAT connections (depending on what the internal communication DSP chips can handle though).

What I fear most is we see new hardware again because of evolution in computer market and bite in the dust w/ XITE because of the connection interface (PCIe x1 on HDMI) not working anymore.

:wink:

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Liquid EDGE wrote: In the time being what does not work on xite (and I haven't got a work around yet) I'll just do elsewhere!!!
Which isn´t a satisfying solution at all´cause somewhere later you´ll find yourself doing everything elsewhere, at least when all the CW and S|C hardware is incompatible w/ next generations computer gear.

I´m pretty sure desktop computers will disappear and mobile devices will outperform today´s computer hardware.
Then you will have to connect to that and to be true,- I´d love to have XITE-1 mobile and being connected to a small mobile device being faster than today´s laptops and controlling the box.
Liquid EDGE wrote: Surely my virusti2 sounds just as good as Solaris.
Same story,- DSP limitations also in VirusTi2 and we will obviously never see any Virus Ti3 in future.
Actually the Kemper modelling amp (same developer) has much more DSP power.

:)

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Thanks for post about Solaris.

Yeah I got to cut back all the fiddling, can get so caught up in trying to set stuff up.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Bud Weiser wrote:
I think more about what will happen when PCIe slots disappear.
I see it coming and PCIe x1 now is rare on most mobos already.

For the time being, a good idea might be some firmware upgrade using PCIe x4 to full potential and a new PCIe x4 card for XITE, just only to make the hardware better compatible w/ upcoming computer mobo hardware.
More lanes in use = more speed and probbably also more SAT connections (depending on what the internal communication DSP chips can handle though).

What I fear most is we see new hardware again because of evolution in computer market and bite in the dust w/ XITE because of the connection interface (PCIe x1 on HDMI) not working anymore.

:wink:

Bud
This comment I never really replied too, I thought they were clever. Can sonic core not make any type of adaptor they want that has an hdmi connection? so surely, in theory, they could make a lightning to hdmi adaptor? Anything to hdmi?
fraz

Post by fraz »

Liquid EDGE wrote:Nice one guys. So yeah. 15dsp is needed.
53E7 = sell 2 of your cards and keep one for using the legacy stuff that does not work right on xite.
For the Xite-1, how many more times powerful is Xite-1 compared to Scope Professional / DSP Expansion card 14/15 DSP?
garyb

Post by garyb »

6-10 15dsp cards...
Marco

Post by Marco »

I think you should have a more look on that what is working, having concentration on that what is not working will put you in a cage, because sonic core is in a coma sleep and no one can really help if there are some programming issues. For me the possibilities of that what is working is more than I can explore in my lifetime if it was 900 years.

So concentrate on that what you already have in your hand, it is more than enough!

You are rich, but you don't know!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!