Expanding the inputs for xite.

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE

Expanding the inputs for xite.

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Just want to get people's opinions as can't make up my mind.

I like to have stuff running live through the pre amps. At the moment both front pre amps get taken up and I often would like, at least one more pre amp to lay down a vocal or what ever.

So.
Was thinking I have three options

1. A small mixer feeding to the xlr inputs on the back of the xite. Maybe the zed6.

2. Some sort of tube pre amps feeding to the xlr inputs. Maybe the presonus bluetube dp v2.

3. Or expand via adat. Something like the octopre mk2.

The considerations are ease, flexibility, price and sound quality.

Option 1. Cheapest, various inputs so multiple things can be plugged in and routed to two inputs. (Audio quality could be questionable)
Option 2. More expensive, control over tonal quality. Audio quality is surely better than the mixer. Only two inputs so stuff is just temporarily plugged in when it's in use.
Option 3. Most inputs, high quality I would of thought. No tubes though. So just straight clean pre amps, but 8 channels of sound.

If I had enough cash I would just get option 2 & 3. Lol. But I got to make a choice.
Attachments
Octopre
Octopre
IMG_1321.JPG (60.68 KiB) Viewed 6483 times
Bluetube
Bluetube
IMG_1322.JPG (35.27 KiB) Viewed 6483 times
Zed6
Zed6
IMG_1323.JPG (291.93 KiB) Viewed 6483 times
yayajohn

Re: Expanding the inputs for xite.

Post by yayajohn »

I've been using this for quite a while now and it works great.
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/presonus-digimax-fs
Lots of routing options, never noticed any issues with the preamps. Not sure why they stopped making it but you may be able to find one somewhere. I also picked up an A16 ultra for Z-link and I have tons of extra i/o with this setup connected to a patchbay and Behringer MX8000. I use the Xite's preamp inputs for mics only, not sure what your needs are. Anyway.....my 2 cents

Good luck

Dan
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Liquid EDGE wrote:Just want to get people's opinions as can't make up my mind.
I connect my Ashly MX508 analog mixer,- offering discrete mic-pres, inserts, 3band mid-sweepEQ & 2AUX as well as transformer balanced outputs,- as a front end mixer to the rear XLR inputs on my XITE-1.
Usage of XITE-1 front panel DIs/Pres on demand and in addition.

I also use a 8-channel NUENDO 8 I/O (identical w/ RME ADI 8 Pro) via ADAT w/ the XITE-1,- leaving the 2nd pair of ADAT I/Os for another device.
XITE-1 is master,- works flawlessly!
The converter is limited to 48K which is enough for me in most cases,- but when I´d need to buy a new AD/DA converter for more channels, I´d buy the Ferrofish A16mkII (eventually ADAT edition only) ´cause it allows gain adjustment for each input individually.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/ferrofish_a16 ... verter.htm

As a keyboard player, I mostly use line signals,- so it all depends on what you´re doing and if you need more line channels or mic channels.
I rarely need more than 2 mics at a time and XITE-1´s DI/MICpres were already good enough when the gain pots allowed better controllability of input gain.

I´m not a big fan of cheapo "starved plate" technology tube preamps .
All advertised for "warming up the input signal" (whatever that means) but not what a real and quality tube mic-pre is.

The cheapest usable and quality dual-channel tube preamp is the SPL Goldmike 9844,- at least for me,- and I mean "out of the box w/ no boutique mods necessary".
https://www.thomann.de/gb/spl_goldmike_9844.htm

There are still better ones at (much) higher price though.
But when the budget is tight,- it´s bang for the buck IMO.
It´s a warhorse and has all you need:

dual mono class A tube preamps for perfect signal separation but paired w/ IC based circuitry for higher gain you might need for ribbon mics p.ex.
extremely low noise
mic & instrument inputs
-30dB Pad
50Hz HPF
Alps pots, click free switches and thick pcb tracks
XLR and TRS line outs
great quality internal PSU

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Cool. Thanks for the reply's and info! Will look into the stuff you use. You guys have all three options!! :)

Basically in the "real world" outside scope I have a vinyl deck, 2 analog synths, line6 guitar pod, mics and still don't use the 6 ( 3 stereo) analog outs of the virusti2 (just use the 3 stereo outs over USB).

most of the time the two pre amps on xite are occupied by the analog synths. And as it's running live to record a mic or something else would mean losing a sound and reruting stuff temporarily (and I can't be bothered with doing all that)

For my budget I can't really go above £300 (more like £200) ideally so want the best sound possible vs least amount of hassle for that cash, for the moment and can only go with 1 out of the 3 options.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

I've just realised I need extra outs as well. Ha. As I intend to get the usamo midi box that needs an audio signal.

If I get the beringer ada8200, will stuff really sound like a fart through it?
Damn.
I should just get the ferrofish mk2 Adat version. As the line ins are enough considering the two full on pre amps on xite! (But 16 ins and outs is quite over the top for what I want)

There seems to be a very slim option on full on (new available now) ad/da Adat converters!
garyb

Post by garyb »

the ADA8200 is actually not bad. it's not a world beater, but there's nothing wrong with using it.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Ok, cool.. that's good to know as of course decent sound quality is what one is looking for and these extra ins and outs will be used last in the way I make music (and the level I do it at as it's a hobby) so should not destroy any overall quality of music.

Thanks for the input Gary, I trust what you say as I don't have time to go demo these things and "hear" if it sounds good enough for what I want, no point getting something that sounds rubbish just because it seems to answer the need! And no point breaking the bank if it doesn't really add a significant margin of improvement to what I already have at my disposal. For my needs. It seems the ada8200 is fine.
Cheers for the input.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:the ADA8200 is actually not bad. it's not a world beater, but there's nothing wrong with using it.
Well, the previous version´s achilles heel was the (cheapo) psu.
Did they change the quality and consequently the reliability of that component ?

The ADA8000 was always good enough for line level signals, but unfortunately not for mics.
When you had to crank up the preamp´s gain,- there was too much hiss.

Is that different now ?

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

it depends on what you expect.

for $230 including shipping , the ADA8200 might be one of the all-time great bargains. the Midas-designed mic pres are much better than the original 8000's, but i've actually done good work with the 8000 in the past on a portable rig. i mean. the AD/DA on the A16 mk2 is much better, and a Millenia 8 channel mic pre is much better, but 16 channels of that rig are about $9200 and two ADA8200s are under $500.

the maker of SAW Studio PREFERS his software to be used with the ADA8000, and his software is in some pretty high places.

i have never seen a power supply die, although i'm sure that it could happen.

i'm not suggesting that the ADA8200 is the best choice for pres and AD/DA, but if money is the issue, then i think it is far and away the best bang for the buck. as i said, they are quite competent. the ADA8200 would not be the reason that a production was shitty.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

This is great to know.
Suppose I could just get stuff on finance.

Usamo box and ferrofish mk2 ae incoming.

If I get the ada8200, as good as it may be, I will probably be forever bugged that I want better.

The software for the ferrofish works fine on windows XP I assume?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, the software works in XP, but you don't need it for anything.

Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: ... for $230 including shipping , the ADA8200 might be one of the all-time great bargains. the Midas-designed mic pres are much better than the original 8000's, ...
That´s good info,- thx !
Seems we have to learn we can buy more Behringer products now.
Their new synth seems to be good quality too and it´s only the beginning !

There were times you lost the job when someone recognized B...-gear in your racks,- especially when touring.
In fact, that gear was banned from tourriders in europe for decades.
But it wasn´t the only brand though.
garyb wrote: ... the ADA8200 would not be the reason that a production was shitty.
Yeah, it´s the music (idea & composition) itself, craftmanship (performance, arrangement) & mix/mastering (ears) always.
Nonetheless we fear failure out of the blue from a product not being repairable quickly.

Now I´ll probably buy one just only for my Yamaha TX816 and feed via ADAT into XITE-1.

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure.
as i said, it's definitely nothing special, and i can understand people's disdain for Behringer. it's not really "pro" gear. it's still plenty usable, though.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hey BUDWEISER! You are the super FM Man! You really got a tx16 wow. I have now a whole collection of FM synths. A tx802, a tx81z, the TG77 and two of the unbelievable fb01 for crappie FM, and least of all, I have the FM package from Sonic core. This is the finest collection of hardware FM stuff I could get for little money, make the 80ties come back. And BTW I use 2 behringer ada8000, and the old audiobahn by Creamware A16, and what should I say? I love these old technology.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Marco

Post by Marco »

All the companies are happy when you always keep up to date, but where goes your music, when you always change everything? I just kept everything and no reason to sell means no reason to buy new. Save your time, save your money!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

garyb wrote:yes, the software works in XP, but you don't need it for anything.

Thanks
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

anabella wrote:All the companies are happy when you always keep up to date, but where goes your music, when you always change everything? I just kept everything and no reason to sell means no reason to buy new. Save your time, save your money!
I dislike upgrading too much. Still rocking with cubase 4 and reason 4 and on XP, haha.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

anabella wrote:Hey BUDWEISER! You are the super FM Man!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
anabella wrote: You really got a tx16 wow.
No, I still have it,- I bought it new when it was released in 1984.
The QX-1 hardware sequencer and a KX88 later too, but after some time I replaced the KX88 by a KX77 when I bought another weighted action keyboard.

The KX, QX-1, TX816 and a DX7 (or DX7mkII) is what Yamaha called "the system" and it´s complete here, all in good and working condition and I´m 1st owner.
anabella wrote: I have now a whole collection of FM synths. A tx802, a tx81z, the TG77 and two of the unbelievable fb01 for crappie FM
I´m fine w/ TX816, DX7mkIIFD and TG77 soundwise.

I´d wish I had a FS1r in addition,- but it´s too expensive @ebay for a used device IMO.
anabella wrote: ... and least of all, I have the FM package from Sonic core. This is the finest collection of hardware FM stuff I could get for little money, make the 80ties come back.
Does it read and load DX/TX sysex files ?
anabella wrote: I love these old technology.
Most of my gear is old technology.

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

For microphones the Burr Brown mod on ADA8200 is really a great deal.
Use ADAT In for a TC Fireworx.
This gives 6 additional inputs, good quality Mic Pres or line level.
The ART OctoPre8 is starved plate but sounds really nice for bringing in audio via ADAT.
Just bought one with GE Tube mod.
But ZLink is where the Ferrofish MKII is going to be used for further expansion.
I sold a Creamware A16 / SC A16 and kick myself in the ass.
Hard to find used, and people want too much.
guppy

Post by guppy »

I use the Focusrite octopre dynamic MKII, it's ok but after 3 years of using, i think the sound is transparent enough but not "hot" enough for some usages.
I'd like to buy another converter to put some hardware effects into it, and i'm thinking about the ada8200.