Have I killed my 2496 i/o Box??

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Martin MS

Have I killed my 2496 i/o Box??

Post by Martin MS »

I know there isn't much hope, but then again, it's worth a shot :( .
I plugged in my Luna Box's (?) z-link cable the wrong way around, which I realized just when I thought "I shouldn't need to apply that much force ..." And it looks like I damaged something (I know z-link carries power :roll: ). I tried 3 cables and 3 Luna cards, it's basically the same: when plugging in all the LEDs in the box flash red for a second and that's it. In Scope the "connected" indicator keeps flashing rather quickly and irregularly. Any thoughts - please?!?!

Btw, I was in the process of changing my DAW from ACPI into "Standard PC" when this happened - could there be any connection?

Any ideas will be much appreciated - I love this little box :cry: .

Martin
10 DSP Scope 5.1 system, some outboard gear and too little time ...
jhulk

Re: Have I killed my 2496 i/o Box??

Post by jhulk »

i would think there are fuses that blow for this situation inside the box

how did you manage to plug a fire wire cable the wrong way its flat one side and hexagon the other side
Martin MS

Post by Martin MS »

I would think there's a fuse but I can't identify it.
And yes, the plug is more or less foolproof, but then it's only thin sheet metal, and with a little determination, while working with one hand on the back of your pc, not seeing anything, it's quite possible (QED) ....
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

fuses are some times look like an smd ic with just 2 legs but are infact fuses

i replace these with resettable fuses that go open circuit when there is a short

then reset them selves once cooled down

i dont have your model of i/o box
Martin MS

Post by Martin MS »

jhulk wrote: i dont have your model of i/o box
That's a pity, you seem to know your way around with a soldering rod. Anyway, thanks for the smd fuse tip, I'll have a look at these.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

open it up and take pictures for me close ups i can tell by looking at pcbs

if they have fuses and what types

as i work on component level and diagnostics and pcb design and circuit design

its my day job repairing synths samplers amp mixers outboard gear

and making specials for customers and designing and making upgrades for old tech to bring them closer to new tech
Martin MS

Post by Martin MS »

Thanks a lot for your help. I've attached a picture of the components next to the fw port - would the encircled thingys be fuses?
Attachments
luna fw port.jpg
luna fw port.jpg (146.36 KiB) Viewed 5729 times
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

no there ferrite beads

theirs one right by the side of it not the back of it
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

the lm317 is a power regulator
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

its a linear ldo it has voltage in and then a regulated voltage out

check the positive led and trace back to the connector there should be a inline fuse smaller than those ferrite beads
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

once you trace that leg if you find a inline fuse use a continuity tester available on all small ac/dc digital meters it has a bell if its blown you wont get the bell sound if its ok you will
Martin MS

Post by Martin MS »

Jhulk, I'm afraid this is beyond me ... I'll post two more pics, maybe you can point me towards something fusey. I can solder and desolder components, but that's it.
Btw, I noticed the whole section in the pics gets warm when plugged in, even though nothing else happens.

Has noone else ever had the "connected" light flashing in the Samplerate window?
Attachments
The fw connector with the two ferrite beads is on the right
The fw connector with the two ferrite beads is on the right
luna fw part 2.jpg (181.78 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
luna fw part 1.jpg
luna fw part 1.jpg (188.79 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi, Martin

if you can't get it fixed, I have a used one but near new that might interest you,

regards,

Didier
Martin MS

Post by Martin MS »

Didier,
thanks for the offer - how much are you looking for?
At the moment I'm waiting for the parts to make an stdm-cable for four cards which would give me 4 analog I/Os (if it works ...) so I'm not sure if I'll need a new box right now. I'll let you know.
Martin
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

ok, let me know and we'll discuss the offer..
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Sigh! I believe it's finally happened to me as well. All the lights went out last night. I unplugged Z-Link cable, re-plugged. No lights. Went through the drills. Restarted Scope, rebooted, changed cables. The "best" I got was all the lights flashed red when I plugged in the cable. Then blank. Changed cables, same deal. :cry: Well it faithfully served me for over 15 years. :D I suppose eventually I'll replace it but most of the outboard hardware it handled has been sold over the years for software.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

ronnie wrote:Sigh! I believe it's finally happened to me as well. All the lights went out last night. I unplugged Z-Link cable, re-plugged. No lights. Went through the drills. Restarted Scope, rebooted, changed cables. The "best" I got was all the lights flashed red when I plugged in the cable. Then blank. Changed cables, same deal. :cry: Well it faithfully served me for over 15 years. :D I suppose eventually I'll replace it but most of the outboard hardware it handled has been sold over the years for software.
How did it happen ? Did you touch it ? Was it during using it ? By loading Scope project with luna I/O ? You are worrying me ! I've got 2 lunas since 2001 !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I noticed that the power light was out. I unplugged and re-plugged in the cable. No joy. Did it again and then channel 3,4,and 5 lit up... but nothing was feeding those channels. Unplugged and plugged in again - it's possible that I plugged in the cable upside down!!!! No joy. Unplugged and re-plugged, lights flash red for a split second and that's it. That's what happens now. Maybe I fried something by plugging in upside down, on the Luna card or the box... the Luna works fine.. no Assertion failed on either the Source or Dest Z-Link modules. It's not a big deal, I have sufficient I/O but I just miss the box nice and lit up in the rack with the leds doing their thing when in use. I can't complain - it's lasted so long.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

FEAR !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I opened the case and visually, nothing is burned or smells. As far as I can tell it looks brand new. I wouldn't know what to look for or try. I have a good meter and a digital probe somewhere. Any ideas? I miss ZLink, :cry: a really solid interface.