inspiring videos

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: inspiring videos

Post by garyb »

...made many of those.
don't want to say "fraud", since his paintings DO look nice....
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Hi, Gary !

Taste are not as simple, I believe. Let's bring back the subject on the art we all love here...Musica ! Do you like Pierre Boulez music or any composer in the same flavour ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EhBNEpTvlU
Or even what Roland Kuit does ? Frankly, when I build up a modular, I produce many sounds that look like his ! But I didn't tell him... He he ! :P

For Roland, I don't know but for Boulez, I know (few) people who literally love his music. For me, it's hard to understand.. That must be the same in Jackson Pollock painting for you... Personnaly, I prefer to think that I don't have the keys to apreciate this art. Someone who loves Boulez explained to me, one's, that he started to like it a lot after to have worked on it, and play his tunes : he is a professionnal musician and he had to work on it because it's his job. And he doesn't regret it at all ! Some people may love it without having to work on it.

I know also other people who would call it 'fraud'... If they would have the opportunity to listen to it !

When I was eleven, I used to listen to JM Jarre or Sidney Bechet, I played saxophone. And one's, a friend of my parent son, who had 5 or 6 years more than me gave me a Genesis tape : 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' .. The first time I listened to it, I thought to myself it's a piece of shit. Those guys are playing any note, any time without any structure. I had to listen to it 10 or 15 times before to start to realize it was one of the best record in all time. I finally get the keys to appreciate this kind of music. I didn't have hair in my panties yet ! My friends was laughing on me when I asked them to listen !

Don't want to be too moralistic but I think some words are exagerated when one doesn't know about one's is speaking very well. And just the fact that someone like this art enough to wish to share it with others should be enough to not use this kind of word.

Merde... Je crois que je me suis encore emporté.... Sorry ! :roll: :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
hubird

Post by hubird »

+1 Jopo :)

Me too I experienced a cheap tast in my mouth when I read that word fraud, although smartly formulated as a denial.
Once there was someone in Germany who found the same.

One could argue that abstract art is artistically a misstep in art history but at the same time a 'logical' or inevitable historical phase[/i].
But 'fraud' is principally art hostile, and hostile to the human creative mind.

Also about organisation, composition and balance:
Attachments
victory-boogie-woogie-1944.jpg
victory-boogie-woogie-1944.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
Last edited by hubird on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

really, i have made a number of those paintings!
they're fun!
there is very little skill involved in making one that looks nice.

it's not impressive, but if one can make a living that way, i'm all for it!
hubird

Post by hubird »

you sound like a simple schoolboy.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'm more simple than that.

art has value because it takes a lot of effort, effort that most cannot produce.
it's harder to write "mary had a little lamb", a song that everyone in the world has sung happily, than it is to write a beat, something that everyone with a computer can do. that's where value comes from, how precious something is to others.

at least Pollock learned how to draw and was a competent draftsman before he started cranking out his spatters. that's part of what makes his paintings more valuable than mine. they took very little effort, however.
hubird

Post by hubird »

I see, modern life is too big for you :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

wait...what!?
hubird

Post by hubird »

I said, modern life is too big for you.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, i read that.

it was just such an asinine response, i just couldn't get it. it seems that it's just too big for me.
hubird

Post by hubird »

You just crossed an intellectual line Gary.
It's absurd to call modern art fraudulent, even an educated hillbilly wouldn't say that.
You do harm yourself with it.

If abstract art is fraud, then our beloved musique concrete pioneers are doing fraud.
But you are selective when arguing, are you?
garyb

Post by garyb »

listen Tetsuro, you're probably correct. i just can't handle the modern life of a commoner, being an automaton who lives in his head until he's needed by his super-god rulers to place his body on the line. let me know how the machine body works for you when the Galaxy Express 999 finally makes it to Prometheum. say hello to Maetel for me.
hubird

Post by hubird »

showing off?
Those manga and anime movies are never shown on tv in my country, so I can't reply to those links.
Just keep arguing, that's easier for me.
Last edited by hubird on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

by the way-
i NEVER said modern art is fraudulent. NEVER.
i said that Pollock's splatter paintings approached being fraudulent. that is something totally different. i said it based on my personal experience making such artwork.

why anyone would be insulted(other than Pollack) is a great mystery to me.
i said that many of those paintings looked great, so obviously i don't disrespect anyone who like them.
garyb

Post by garyb »

hubird wrote:showing off?
sure. :lol:
hubird

Post by hubird »

as edited (too late) formerly, I don't know that stuff :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

nonsense.

Galaxy Express 999 is translated into every language and it's available online. it's kind of a kiddie show, though. no need to watch it.

it's just a long meandering statement about transhumanism wrapped up in a story about steam trains that travel the universe. :lol:
hubird

Post by hubird »

Yes, I got that within a few seconds after your post, as with philosopher Tetsuro. I also have internet.
But it's part of your local culture of the US, it's unknown here.
I couldn't and can't comment or refer to it, even after having it defined for my self.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's not at all part of the local culture in the USA. not. at. all.

it's 70's and 80's Japan.

you don't have to comment. Tetsuro is not an uncommon name, although i suspect the connection with the philosopher was intended.
hubird

Post by hubird »

garyb wrote: i said that Pollock's splatter paintings approached being fraudulent. that is something totally different. i said it based on my personal experience making such artwork.
Let me say a bit more about that painting of Pollock, as those words are causing me bellyache...

I was quite sure you would come up with kinda cynical comment on the painting, when I posted about the exhibition.
So I already put this hint to the picture:
'Pollock: 'No chaos, damn it'. But organisation and composition: canvas on the floor, and drip painted from the blackened background up to the light parts.'
No chaos: he knew what he was doing when he started with the black background.
The layers were already in his mind.

Notice a few aspects of Blue Poles which make it so great:
- It's large: almost 83.5 in × 192.5 in (!), yet the whole thing is balanced from left to right and up to down regarding colours, composition and structure, where ever you look.
If you know with which energy he put the paint on the canvas you can imagine how precise he must have been in knowing what he was doing at every moment of the proces.
- it's a dance, kinda structured (controlled) by those well placed black bars (painted in a rush!)
-Nowhere that structure got blurred, it's crystal fine up to the last inch.
- the composition is consequent, up to the borders, every inch is a logical part of the whole
- it's 3-dimensional by the rough use of paint, specially this one is said you have to see it in real
- the layers are kinda visible, you can 'look through it'. He worked 'up' to the light parts
- Rembrandt, Mondriaan, Karel Appel, all of them made serious changes to famous paintings during the proces, as made visible with infrared in many documentaries (I've seen).
Not Pollock: every thread of paint is part of the end result. If you viewed the mentioned documentary you know how he put the paint on the canvas: straight from the arms in big and decisive moves. Every single thread seems to be on it's place, no 'mistakes' or disturbing details to notice.
- etc.

I know it's personal, you call it 'nice', I think it's breathtaking :)
But don't tell us you 'made many of those'...it would be painstaking hilarious.

UL'd again for our comfort here:
Attachments
data5205494.jpg
data5205494.jpg (227.21 KiB) Viewed 2465 times